Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Marijuana

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2009 at 1:08 PM
  • 31 Replies

FIRST OFF I WOULD RATHER PEOPLE BE SMOKING A LITTLE POTT THAN METH,COCAINE, OR HEROINE. MARIJUANA IS NOT A BAD THING I WOULDN'T DO IT IN FRONT OF MY CHILDREN BUT I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH A HIT NOW AND AGAIN. I WOULD RATHER HAVE SOMEONE DRIVE ME AFTER SMOKING A JOINT THAN BEING DRUNK.

AND YES I AM FOR THE LEGALIZATION OF MARIJUANA BECAUSE NO DEATHS HAVE EVER BEEN REPORTED FOR SMOKING A BOWL. JUST THANK GOODNESS IT'S THAT AND NOTHING ELSE. I DON'T AGREE WITH HAVING IT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN BUT DON'T ACT LIKE IT'S A DRUG.

A DRUG IS SOMETHING THAT IS PROCESSED LIKE COCAINE! MARIJUANA IS ALL NATURAL AND NOTHING ADDED TO IT. IT'S EVEN A FLOWER AND A PLANT.

Former and Current Marijuana Smokers include:

Brad Pitt : an oscar winning actor who has charmed every woman in the world, has been seen wearing Pro-Marijuana shirts in his day.

James Franco : and i quote " I don't consider weed to be any worse then having a beer". Thankyou Mr. Franco, Well said.

Art Garfunkle: "If John Lennon is deported then I'm leaving with my musicians....and my marijuana".

And my Last 3 Favorites for my celebrity round out:

Woody Harrelson: and i quote " I do smoke, but i don't go through all this trouble just because i want to make my drug choice legal. It's about personal freedom. We should have the right in this country to do what we want as long as we are not hurting anybody. 72 million people in this country have smoked pot, 18-20 million in the last year. These people should not be treated as criminals"

Willie Nelson : and i quote, " I think people need to be educated to the fact that Marijuana is not a drug. Marijuana is a herb and a flower. God put it here, if he put it here and wants it to grow, what gives the government the right to say God is wrong?" Willie Nelson in on the NORML board.

Robert Altman: and i quote, " I was a heavy drinker, but the alcohol affected my heart, rather then my liver. So i stopped, I smoke grass now. I say that to everybody, because marijauna should be legalized. It's ridiculous that it isn't. At the end of the day if i feel like smoking a joint, i do it. It changes the perspective of what I've beenthrough all day."

celebrity

Edit Reply Quote Reply Delete Reply

by on Feb. 8, 2009 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Robin
by Group Admin on Feb. 8, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Michael Phelps says his suspension was fair.  Do you think it was? 

Do you think sponsors should stop working with him?  He was dropped by Kelloggs but Visa and Subway are sticking with him.

Here's the latest...

Another superstar athlete -- Michael Phelps -- made headlines last week when photos of him smoking marijuana surfaced the web. USA Swimming has suspended the Olympian for three months, and Kellogg's has dropped its endorsement deal.

"It's not my decision. It's theirs," Phelps said of USA Swimming's decision. "I have nothing to say, but if that's they want to do, that's their choice. It's something that USA Swimming came up with. It's fair. Obviously, for a mistake you should get punished."

Although the fallout cost Phelps his Kellogg Co. sponsorship, Subway announced Friday it still supports him.

"Like most Americans, and like Michael Phelps himself, we were disappointed in his behavior," the statement said. "Also like most Americans, we accept his apology. Moving forward, he remains in our plans."

The fallout from the picture has been much greater than in 2004, when an underage Phelps was arrested for drunken driving three months after the Athens Olympics. He pleaded guilty and apologized to his fans, saying he wouldn't make the same mistake.

On Saturday, a report from News of the World published an alleged picture of Michael Phelps holding a bong (above) and smoking weed (or, "marijuana") and immediately made waves across the internet. Admittedly, the picture wasn't perfect and there was no guarantee that it was Phelps in the photo.

Until Phelps admitted Sunday that it was him holding the bong.
LaNette000
by on Feb. 8, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Good post! I think in moderation, it could be fun, not harming anyone if they only smoke, say on the weekend with friends or once a year. Whatever, hahaha. But I know my brother has gotten fired from a job for having smoked it during his week off from work, and when he went back, it was drug test time and he failed. So, lost a job for smoking pot on his vacation. Geeze!

LaNette000
by on Feb. 8, 2009 at 1:58 PM

It's a shame to see him doing this, since he is a very public figure. I don't know if he should do endorsements, but I think it's fair he gets a punishment of some sort, because, if someone is in his position is doing this, they need to be a little smarter about not getting caught. LOL

Quoting Robin:

Michael Phelps says his suspension was fair.  Do you think it was? 

Do you think sponsors should stop working with him?  He was dropped by Kelloggs but Visa and Subway are sticking with him.

Here's the latest...

Another superstar athlete -- Michael Phelps -- made headlines last week when photos of him smoking marijuana surfaced the web. USA Swimming has suspended the Olympian for three months, and Kellogg's has dropped its endorsement deal.

"It's not my decision. It's theirs," Phelps said of USA Swimming's decision. "I have nothing to say, but if that's they want to do, that's their choice. It's something that USA Swimming came up with. It's fair. Obviously, for a mistake you should get punished."

Although the fallout cost Phelps his Kellogg Co. sponsorship, Subway announced Friday it still supports him.

"Like most Americans, and like Michael Phelps himself, we were disappointed in his behavior," the statement said. "Also like most Americans, we accept his apology. Moving forward, he remains in our plans."

The fallout from the picture has been much greater than in 2004, when an underage Phelps was arrested for drunken driving three months after the Athens Olympics. He pleaded guilty and apologized to his fans, saying he wouldn't make the same mistake.

On Saturday, a report from News of the World published an alleged picture of Michael Phelps holding a bong (above) and smoking weed (or, "marijuana") and immediately made waves across the internet. Admittedly, the picture wasn't perfect and there was no guarantee that it was Phelps in the photo.

Until Phelps admitted Sunday that it was him holding the bong.

CharmaineL
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Yes, as a very public figure he should have exercised discretion when participating in such activities.   Maybe it's because it's pot and not a 'harder' drug, but it's a bit surprising that there hasn't been a greater backlash from advertisers.  Then again, look at what happened to Kate Moss - she was initially dropped from a bunch of campaigns, but is now more successful than ever.  Go figure.

Jellimarie
by Member on Feb. 8, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Oh no!  You mean a person who smokes pot can also be a good smart and successful person?  I think Phelps should be a little more careful, but personally I think the whole thing is kind of funny.  Our society has invested so much time and effort into portraying anyone who smokes as being some lazy, dirty, and unintelligent social reject that it always amuses me when some rich, successful, or powerful person admits to it or gets caught.

Through my teens and early twenties I did a lot of babsitting and I found evidence of marijuana use in the homes of nurses, lawyers, social workers, and teachers.  Oh and all these people were terrific parents and good and decent human beings. 

Dee0402
by on Feb. 8, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Very well said!!!!! I agree totally! I know several high class people who smoke on a daily basis, and it does NOT affect their ability to be a wonderful person. !

Lori2929
by New Member on Feb. 8, 2009 at 5:44 PM

I agree!!!!!!1you rock

cathyshearin
by on Feb. 8, 2009 at 7:00 PM

if there's nothing wrong with it and it's NOT a drug. than what's wrong with doing it in front of your kids?

LoveMySon94
by New Member on Feb. 8, 2009 at 8:40 PM

Quoting cathyshearin:

if there's nothing wrong with it and it's NOT a drug. than what's wrong with doing it in front of your kids?

It's not ok to smoke cigarettes in front of your kids. Cigarettes are legal and not considered to be a drug. We don't have sex in front of kids, sex is legal and is not considered a drug. We (try not to) swear in front of kids, swearing is legal and not considered a drug...I think you get my point.

preciouschild
by New Member on Feb. 8, 2009 at 8:57 PM

How do these people keep their jobs?I know social workers have random drug screens.

Quoting Jellimarie:

Oh no!  You mean a person who smokes pot can also be a good smart and successful person?  I think Phelps should be a little more careful, but personally I think the whole thing is kind of funny.  Our society has invested so much time and effort into portraying anyone who smokes as being some lazy, dirty, and unintelligent social reject that it always amuses me when some rich, successful, or powerful person admits to it or gets caught.

Through my teens and early twenties I did a lot of babsitting and I found evidence of marijuana use in the homes of nurses, lawyers, social workers, and teachers.  Oh and all these people were terrific parents and good and decent human beings. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)