Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Evolution: Do you believe? Darwin's "Birthday Poll" Released

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2009 at 6:17 AM
  • 12 Replies

This week a Gallup survey was released stating that a quarter of the people polled do not believe in the evolution theory.  Do you?  Why or why not?

Darwin's Birthday Poll: Fewer Than 4 in 10 Believe in Evolution

A new poll released just in time for Charles Darwin's 200th birthday found only 39 percent of Americans say they "believe in the theory of evolution" and just 24 percent of those who attend church weekly believe in the explanation for the origin of life.

The Gallup survey, released Wednesday, found a quarter of those polled do not believe in evolution, and 36 percent say they don't have an opinion either way.

The poll of 1,018 American adults, found strong ties between education level and belief in the theory.

"Among those with high-school educations or less who have an opinion on Darwin's theory, more say they do not believe in evolution than say they believe in it," Gallup found. "For all other groups, and in particular those who have at least a college degree, belief is significantly higher than nonbelief."

by on Feb. 12, 2009 at 6:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gacgbaker
by on Feb. 12, 2009 at 8:52 AM

This part is intresting to me:

• "Among those with high-school educations or less who have an opinion on Darwin's theory, more say they do not believe in evolution than say they believe in it," Gallup found. "For all other groups, and in particular those who have at least a college degree, belief is significantly higher than nonbelief."

I don't tend to wonder myself, if the reason for this is that other options (or beliefs) for how the earth and us came to be are not taught as frequently as they used to be.  I was taught both (creationism and evolution) without a bias and told in high school we where to decide ourselves which one to believe in.  I would be curious to see stats on what was taught in school to each person who believes either way. 

storkbusy momnurse

Got little ones or expecting one?  Check out these groups!
Pregnanc
y, After Pregnancy: Babies & Toddlers, Children's Health Issues

Robin
by Group Admin on Feb. 12, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Happy Birthday Darwin!

I believe in evolution. 

I think everything evolves - not just animals and individual people but the earth and the universe, also.

jennmarie77
by on Feb. 12, 2009 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I do not and will not ever believe in evolution in that we came from monkeys or gorillas or anything like that.  I am a Christian and I believe we came from God. 

Join us at the Roundtable.

Esmrlda
by on Feb. 12, 2009 at 1:16 PM

I believe in the Divine theory. I also think that they should teach both theory's in elementary school besides just the Darwin theory.  There are alot of things that have not been explained and the scientist still can not breakthe DNA code.  They cant, they have been working on it for decades.

gacgbaker
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Quoting Esmrlda:

I believe in the Divine theory. I also think that they should teach both theory's in elementary school besides just the Darwin theory.  There are alot of things that have not been explained and the scientist still can not breakthe DNA code.  They cant, they have been working on it for decades.

I agree!  Can I ask, where you taught both in school?  I am always curious :)

storkbusy momnurse

Got little ones or expecting one?  Check out these groups!
Pregnanc
y, After Pregnancy: Babies & Toddlers, Children's Health Issues

momto1sweetie
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:37 AM

I learned about evolution in school and creationism in church. 

I believe in a hybrid of both (leaning more evolution) insofar as there is an element missing in evolution that has yet to explain the gaps in human development.  I don't necessarily think there is a divine intervention per se, but an outside influence to our evolution nonetheless.   There are aspects of our DNA code (developmentally over millions of years) that cannot yet be identified b/c we have yet  to fully grasp the whole concept of science....which for me at least, moves beyond what you can touch, smell and see.

There are too many things in our world that cannot fall under either category.

cmarielin
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 3:10 AM

No way, I don't believe in evolution.  What a detrimental thing to teach in public schools as well, since the theory has never been proven by anything solid, still, after all these years of trying. 

Nope - sorry, be what you want, but I'm much more than just a "glorified animal."  I was purposely created in the image of a Loving God.

ladybug

aajsluckymommy
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 7:27 AM

lol, God might have run a trial with monkies before he made Adam & then decided to make the brain a wee bit bigger & the bruteness a bunch less. No, I do not believe we evolved from apes other wise they would be extinct.

Junebug926
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 8:11 AM

I don't believe we came from monkeys but I do believe we have evolved from what early man looked like.

IdaKaye
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Creation, is what I believe in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)