Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Green Activists not so Green?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 7:27 AM
  • 5 Replies

Do you expect the high profile green campaigners to be held to a high standed on this sort of thing?  What kinds of things do you do to be "green"?

Hotshot greens caught wasting home heat

A survey of the homes of top environmentalists has found they leak energy

THEY may shout their green credentials from the rooftops, but some of Britain’s most prominent environmental champions are living in homes that produce up to half a ton of excess carbon dioxide a year.

An audit of properties, measuring heat loss, has revealed that Chris Martin, the pop star, Boris Johnson, the mayor of London, and Sir David Attenborough, the broadcaster, are among those who reside in homes that are “leaking” energy. Some lack even the most basic energy saving measures such as cavity wall insulation and double glazing.

Thermal images of the residences of 10 high-profile green campaigners found that their heat loss was either worse or no better than that found in the average family home.

by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 7:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Junebug926
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2009 at 9:21 AM

I believe if you preach it then you should live by it.

chesiretuff
by Member on Feb. 16, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Quoting Junebug926:

I believe if you preach it then you should live by it.

Agreed.

gacgbaker
by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 1:25 PM

I agree with that... you preach it you should live it, but I also know that it is impossible to be perfect so I would hope that after this was brought to their attention they would work on fixing it. 

storkbusy momnurse

Got little ones or expecting one?  Check out these groups!
Pregnanc
y, After Pregnancy: Babies & Toddlers, Children's Health Issues

just4today21
by Member on Feb. 16, 2009 at 3:44 PM

No one is perfect.  I would like to be more 'green' but I think it is something you have to do a little at a time...atleast for the poor folk like me.  I try to choose the lesser of two evils...and I sure as heck do not have the time or energy to go unplug everything when its not in use.. but when I notice something like that I try to...I use more natural cleaning products.. soon going to be making my own....I use organic bath/beauty products... and eat organic meat. I recycle everything that can be recycled.  I use this group called freecycle as well.. my garbage can be a treasure to someone else.. and not end up in a landfill.

cmarielin
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 2:45 AM

Britain’s most prominent environmental champions?  LOL - we have hypocrites much closer to home, preaching to us to use less fuel as they travel in their own private jets.  Anyone who preaches it really needs to set the example if they expect anyone to take them seriously.

Hec - they're not the environmental champions, then, are they?  I guess we are.  :-]

plant a tree

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)