Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hysteria, does it work?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 2:42 PM
  • 16 Replies

Saw an interesting story today about a woman who carried on in hysterics at the airport after she missed her flight.  Apparently, she got so hysterical to the point where she fell to the floor and started ranting/screaming.  Well, it worked out to her benefit later as she and a companion were granted seats at a later flight at no extra cost. 

Another example, the Christian Bale debacle. Though his incident was more of a temper tantrum, it's doubtful that he will lose movie roles because of it.  In fact, he has two high profile projects in the works.  According to some reports, the behavior he exhibited is not out of the ordinary in Hollywood.

I have a good friend who doesn't think twice to scream at cab drivers if she feels they are going the wrong way.  End result? She gets to her destination faster and in one instance, even a free cab ride as the driver just wanted her out of his cab.

It's unnerving to think that ranting and raving indeed nets the desired results.

by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 2:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chesiretuff
by Member on Feb. 16, 2009 at 3:56 PM

It's unnerving, but toddlers have been on to this for a while now.  It would be hard for me not to want to get someome out of my face who's screaming at me.

CharmaineL
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Quoting chesiretuff:

It's unnerving, but toddlers have been on to this for a while now.  It would be hard for me not to want to get someome out of my face who's screaming at me.

So true!

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Feb. 16, 2009 at 5:42 PM

It has the opposite result with me.

It pisses me off to no end to see someone behaving badly and getting what they want. I simply want to shut you down.

My kid quickly learned that throwing a fit only had a miserable result.

dr_m
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 9:38 AM

i think some of it is definitely cultural..  the display of emotions, that is..  say if there's a car wreck, the Brits may remain stiff upper lipped, and Italians are likely to get into a fist fight... 

bouncing          angry         crying

jennmarie77
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 9:42 AM

It works in retail too.  As a former service desk associate, I can tell you that a manager is more prone to give you your way if you pitch a fit especially when it's busy than to just say no.  They want you out of the store as quickly a possible.  However, that's not always the case.  I've seen a few asked to leave or the cops would be called.  Needless to say most just leave. 

Are you a mom looking to discuss modern day issues with a Christian persepective? 

Join us at the roundtable, where no issue or topic is off the table. 

IhartU
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2009 at 9:44 AM

I've worked in retail for over 13 years, and it's a fact that if a customer comes in and throws a fit and acts like they are crazy, they get whatever they want. It ticks me off...

tvschiulaz
by Member on Feb. 17, 2009 at 1:54 PM

I can only speak from personal experience on this one.  I get absolutely hysterical when I do not get what I want when I want it regarding my daughter's healthcare and IEP follow ups.  The higher ups in the Board of Education and Special Education department know my daughter not by number, but by name.  There is no way that I am going to sit around and "wait" for some lazy ass to do what they need to do.  By the time something happens, my daughter is going to be married with children!  This is where I use hysteria.  And I also pay into the system, so no I am not getting any freebies here. LOL

julie.r0cks
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 2:05 PM

No. I think acting that way is childish and uncalled for. I wouldn't give anybody anything except a kick in the ass out the door of my facility if they acted in such a manner.

julie.r0cks Moms with OPEN Minds Debate Group  Admin

Tell these people something about me that they don't already know.

25beengoodtome
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 2:37 PM

I'm surprised the screamers aren't arrested for being a public nuisance. If I ever behaved in such a deplorable (idiotic)manner, people would act as if I needed a straight -jacket! Tantrums were never accepted in my family. Guess it's how you're raised.

bluewolf
by Member on Feb. 19, 2009 at 2:01 PM

i go into a tizzy from time to time but its usually due to some one either not listening to me cutting me off mid sentence or me getting the run around i try to hold my composure as much as possible but i have a short fuze and if it comes to it i try not to be loud until i have been brushed to the side or cut off and with each new person my tone gets a bit harsh but i try to be as considerate as possible at first, and no if some one is complaining about something i wanna know whats goin on so i dont end up in the same situation

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured