Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Saw an interesting story today about a woman who carried on in hysterics at the airport after she missed her flight.  Apparently, she got so hysterical to the point where she fell to the floor and started ranting/screaming.  Well, it worked out to her benefit later as she and a companion were granted seats at a later flight at no extra cost. 

Another example, the Christian Bale debacle. Though his incident was more of a temper tantrum, it's doubtful that he will lose movie roles because of it.  In fact, he has two high profile projects in the works.  According to some reports, the behavior he exhibited is not out of the ordinary in Hollywood.

I have a good friend who doesn't think twice to scream at cab drivers if she feels they are going the wrong way.  End result? She gets to her destination faster and in one instance, even a free cab ride as the driver just wanted her out of his cab.

It's unnerving to think that ranting and raving indeed nets the desired results.

by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 2:42 PM
Replies (11-16):
Esmrlda
by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Yes, hysteria works. Anytime I see someone having a temper tantrum they get their way. I think that most people are not used to it and dont know how to handle the confrontation. They just want that person out of their hair ASAP so they will give them what ever they want to be rid of them. I dont think that this behavior should be rewarded. Like a PP said, she dosent allow her toddlers to get their way by having a  temper tantrum so that it will be a learned the behavior. I have a hard time with my DH's EX. She is prone to raging temper tantrums if she dosent get her way and he usually caves because he dosent want to deal with her, but he is getting better and standing his ground with me to back him up. I keep reminding him, we are holding all the Aces.

kris10npj
by New Member on Feb. 19, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Quoting anxiousschk:

It has the opposite result with me.

It pisses me off to no end to see someone behaving badly and getting what they want. I simply want to shut you down.

My kid quickly learned that throwing a fit only had a miserable result.

yeah  im like that with  people other then my son and so  i kinda get hyped and try to piss them off more then im pissed  depends on my mood lol i can be a wise guy

CharmaineL
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Quoting Esmrlda:

Yes, hysteria works. Anytime I see someone having a temper tantrum they get their way. I think that most people are not used to it and dont know how to handle the confrontation. They just want that person out of their hair ASAP so they will give them what ever they want to be rid of them. I dont think that this behavior should be rewarded. Like a PP said, she dosent allow her toddlers to get their way by having a  temper tantrum so that it will be a learned the behavior. I have a hard time with my DH's EX. She is prone to raging temper tantrums if she dosent get her way and he usually caves because he dosent want to deal with her, but he is getting better and standing his ground with me to back him up. I keep reminding him, we are holding all the Aces.

Good point - it is jarring because we don't often see (adult) tantrums often enough.

hsteele
by on Mar. 3, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Well it works on my husband!

arguing

JJTaylor
by Member on Mar. 3, 2009 at 8:05 PM

I have been working customer service type positions for years... (up until we moved 2 years ago... currently a SAHM) and many were call centers and let me tell you the more and bigger the stink a customer was able to pull off the more they got... BUT, on the downside, when we got those one particular customers that would call daily if it meant getting what they wanted we started to HATE even getting them on the phones.  My most recent job was with a local daily newspaper and I have to say the paper, even though worth 50 cents was probably the worse bunch of complaining and whining customers I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with.  It didn't matter if we had 3 feet of snow and our press was late and many carriers, adults and kids couldn't even get out their own doors... some of these damn customers would still rant, rave, scream, cuss you until they got their paper hours later, then call us back to complain and tell us NEVER to do that again!?  Sorry, last time I knew we couldn't control the weather!! 

It does work, but, I personally think you can just as easily get what you want if you play the "nice card" and related with the people trying to fix your problem, I have been given so much free stuff and credits, etc., for stating my issue and being respectful at the same time.  When I say free, I have been given a 3 day stay at a Disneyland Hotel once due to bad service one year, we got $600 worth of Disneyland resort tickets... this was just this past year (March 2008) because we had some really bad problems, they gave us 3 more 5 day park hopper passes.  I have been given free food, credits to my bills and accounts, even got several $25 credits at my bank.  I think you can get just as much by killing them with kindness... (so to speak).

morningdove831
by on Mar. 3, 2009 at 8:16 PM

It pisses me off when people act that way.  Generally they won't get what they want from me when they start throwing a tantrum.  The best way to get me to do things is to say please and thank you ... works almost every time.  And my SO is the same way ... he responds much better to kindness and requests, rather than demands and tantrums.  DS has learned that a tantrum will not get him what he wants ... in fact, tantrums in my house get totally ignored. 

Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver.   - Barbara De Angelis

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN