Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

There's something about American Apparel

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 4:41 PM
  • 12 Replies

ads . . . granted, I'm a fan of their basics and often shop there for tees and tanks.  It's fairly decent quality at low price points.  However, the ads can be risque at times. The irony is the clothes by and large, are not 'sexy' yet are marketed aggressively so.  Last week for example, there was a see-through, mesh bodysuit type thing on the site.  It's no longer up, but the model was not only wearing nada underneath, her body was contorted in all sorts of odd angles, and it was just in your face. The photography too is peculiar, but I guess it's a part of their brand's DNA. They have a pretty sizable teen following, so it's a bit surprising that there isn't a larger outcry.  They make Abercrombie's catalogs look tame by comparison and at the time, the backlash from parents was loud and clear. 

Anyone else find AA's ads strange? (Plus, all the models look like kinda sweaty and unshowered, ick!).

by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
colljd02
by Julia on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I've never heard of this clothing brand/label.  Do they have their own stores, or is it a label that's sold within certain department stores?  Their advertising must be very risque to be considered worse than Abercrombie!!!

Ms.Charlie
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I have thought the ads were odd.

illegallyblonde
by Lawyerupbeeches on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:02 PM
I remember awhile back the designer being sued for sexual harassment bc he would show up for work in his underwear.

I like that the clothes are made in USA.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:05 PM
I've never seen the brand either. I'm so uncool :)

Quoting colljd02:

I've never heard of this clothing brand/label.  Do they have their own stores, or is it a label that's sold within certain department stores?  Their advertising must be very risque to be considered worse than Abercrombie!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I remember when they first hit the market when I was in NYC..I haven't seen the adds here, but they don't sound like they have changed much...It seemed as if they were going for some weird, basement, 1970's armature photographer voyeur style aka Fiona Apple's "Criminal" video...sort of retro and edgy at the same time...It didn't speak to me, but I like their clothes and wish we had them, and an H&M here.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:24 PM

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:26 PM

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:27 PM

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I think the big difference between American Apparel and Abercrombie and Fitch is the apparent age of the models...They don't look pre-pubescent like Abercrombie's..

caito
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this

For real, this was posted in 2009 and someone JUST NOW responded to it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)