Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obama Will Lift Ban On Stem Cell Research Soon - How do you feel about that?

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 4:25 AM
  • 31 Replies

Stem Cell Breakthrough Play Video ABC News  – Stem Cell Breakthrough

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – President Barack Obama will soon issue an executive order lifting an eight-year ban embryonic stem cell research imposed by his predecessor, President George W. Bush, a senior adviser said on Sunday.

"We're going to be doing something on that soon, I think. The president is considering that right now," Obama adviser David Axelrod said on "Fox News Sunday."

In 2001, Bush limited federal funding for stem cell research only to human embryonic stem cell lines that already existed. It was a gesture to his conservative Christian supporters who regard embryonic stem cell research as destroying potential life, because the cells must be extracted from human embryos.

Embryonic stem cells are the most basic human cells which can develop into any type of cell in the body.

Scientists believe the research could eventually produce cures for a variety of diseases, including Parkinson's disease, diabetes, heart disease and spinal cord injuries.

Obama vowed to reverse Bush's ban during his presidential campaign and in his inaugural address last month promised to return science to its proper place in the United States.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration last month cleared the way for the first trial to see if human embryonic stem cells could treat people safely.

The trial will try to use stem cells from already existing lines to regrow nerve tissue in patients with crushed spinal cords.

Stem cells are the body's master cells, giving rise to all the tissues, organs and blood. Embryonic stem cells are considered the most powerful kinds of stem cells, as they have the potential to give rise to any type of tissue.

by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 4:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pattyeb12
by Member on Feb. 17, 2009 at 8:33 AM

I think stem cell research is a great thing.  Women are always going to have abortions and why not do something good with that?  I work with a girl whose brother had a spinal cord injury in  a car accident and went to China to have stem cell surgery.  Why should people in this country have to go to other countries for medical treatment when they should be able to get it right here?

Pattye group hug

jennmarie77
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 9:21 AM

I am torn on embryonic stem cell research.  On one hand I think it's wrong because I believe life starts at inception, however on the other hand I think that if fertilized eggs are just going to be thrown away, why not use them or why not used aborted fetuses since they were aborted. 

My understanding is though that not much good information has come from embryonic stem cell research compared to other stem cell research, but it could also be that there hasn't been as much research done.

How do I feel about it?  I'm torn

Are you a mom looking to discuss modern day issues with a Christian persepective? 

Join us at the roundtable, where no issue or topic is off the table. 

jalex
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 9:26 AM

I think that it is AWESOME!  We are behind 8 years in the science world....  So sad how far we could have come by now if given the chance.

IdaKaye
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 9:27 AM

First, aborted babies cannot be used for stem cells.  I don't think most understand this.  It is living babies in the lab, either left overs  from   IVF's, or created just for stem cell use.

bad

With this understood.  I am not for EMBRYONIC stem cell uses.

Eilish
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 11:19 AM

This really bothers me because people are being told that embryonic stem cell research will be our saving grace - our only saving grace - and this is simply not true. Cord blood stem cell research is just as viable as embryonic except that the stem cells come from live babies and not dead ones.

Private research organizations (I don't believe the government should be the one in charge of research) could offer to pay for the collection and storage of a newborn's stem cells in exchange for a small number to perform research on. This becomes a win-win for both parents and those researchers. The parents can have their child's cord blood saved, and the researchers can continue their workd.

I support cord blood stem cell research, not embryonic.

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2009 at 11:34 AM

I am for any and all forms of stem cell research.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Quoting trippyhippy:

I am for any and all forms of stem cell research.

So am I.

greengirl106
by Member on Feb. 17, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Quoting jennmarie77:

I am torn on embryonic stem cell research.  On one hand I think it's wrong because I believe life starts at inception, however on the other hand I think that if fertilized eggs are just going to be thrown away, why not use them or why not used aborted fetuses since they were aborted. 

My understanding is though that not much good information has come from embryonic stem cell research compared to other stem cell research, but it could also be that there hasn't been as much research done.

How do I feel about it?  I'm torn

I
 feel about the same but it's still too much like accepting abortion. I just can't. I think it's important to standby your beliefs and stem cell research just doesn't really fitin with mine.

gretchenb133
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 12:35 PM

I thought this was a non-issue because non-embryonic stem cell research continues to be so successful that we don't need to destroy embryos.  I think that this issue is very politicized and the politicians rely on the public being ill-informed.  To say that we are 8 years behind in embryonic stem cell research, insinuates that there was no research going on during Bush's terms.  That is purely false.  He limited government sponsored research to existing lines...so yes, the government  was still sponsoring embryonic stem cell research, and there were no limitiations (that I'm aware of) on what private companies could do in the field.  I don't claim to be an expert at all on this stuff, but it seems like most people think that there was an "all-out-ban" on embryonic stem cell research. 

I personally don't think that government should be paying for this potentially unethical research.  If there are gains to be made, private investors will pay for it.  I feel this way about most issues, government is just too involved in our lives. 

Gretchen
Make your Scrapbooking easier with Scrappy Mama
Scrapbook and Card ideas at Making Time for Creativity
I Love Stampin' Up!

morningdove831
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Quoting Pattyeb12:

I think stem cell research is a great thing.  Women are always going to have abortions and why not do something good with that?  I work with a girl whose brother had a spinal cord injury in  a car accident and went to China to have stem cell surgery.  Why should people in this country have to go to other countries for medical treatment when they should be able to get it right here?

I agree.  Stem cell research is especially important when it comes to spinal cord injury.  Americans shouldn't be forced to go to China or any other country to get medical care they could get right here. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN