Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A 2 1/2 yr. old who won't sleep... HELP!!

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 12:03 PM
  • 2 Replies
I have been dealing with my 2 1/2 year olds sleeping patterns for a couple of months now. She turned 2 the end of Sept. Right before that, we had our second daughter. I know there have been major changed around our household. For the most part ( other than sleeping ) nothing has really changed with my daughters character since having a new baby.
She is sleeping in a "big girl" bed and has been for 6 mts. It seems for the past 2 months it's a non stop headache to put her to bed and for her to stay in her bed. I have tried almost everything. From walking her back n forth. Putting a gate up, or just letting her cry it out. She seems to fight with me for up to 2-3 hrs in the afternoon and evening hours. I don't want to lock her in her room. However, most of our friends are doing it with their 2 1/2 year old. I am just so fed up with sleeping patterns being "her" way and not knowing what else to do. Since i now have a 5 month old, it's so hard to make sure she isn't crawling into something or crying while i am dealing with the older child's behavior.
It is to the point, she stays up late in her room. Wakes up in the middle of the night comes out and just cries. Wakes the whole house up. Then one of us lays down with her and she is up at the first site of sunlight. Then when we have things to do during the day, she is so tired, i can get nothing done! We go to play dates and she gets hurt b/c she is too tired or just cries for no reason... obviously from being too tired! I can't take any more sleepless nights. I am already getting up once with our 5 month old to nurse!
Is there anyone else out there who can help me or who has gone through this same event? I am trying so hard to be patient and take it with ease... but i am losing my mind at the same time!

Thanks so much for all suggestions!
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Feb. 17, 2009 at 12:32 PM

wave

Hi
LBNelil23,

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms

After Pregnancy: Babies & Toddlers

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom. You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!
\The Cafe GroupAdmin

25beengoodtome
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 2:55 PM

How does she feel about being a "big" sister? Do you have her teach her baby brother/sister to smile, lie down, give hugs & kisses? Play pat-a-cakes? For afternoon naps, Ask her to show the baby how to lie down & sleep pretty. You could sit in a chair, reading to them, in their room for a few minutes, while she's showing the baby how to sleep pretty. Try the story-time at night too, just to set a quiet mood. kids tucked in and snuggled warm. I would cancel any play-dates until she is well rested. The naps are needed more than playing, when she's already tired.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured