Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is Abstinence-Only Realistic? Should Schools Teach Sex Ed? Sarah Palin Video - "Life Happens"

Bristol Palin: Abstinence-Only Isn't 'Realistic'

18-year-old Bristol Palin, who had her own baby last December, gave her first interview to FOX News's Greta Van Susteren this weekend. Much of the conversation, not surprisingly, revolved around the challenges of being a new mom.

"It's not just the baby that's hard. I'm not living for myself anymore," Palin says. But "I like being a mom. I love it ... It is very challenging but so rewarding." She also said telling her parents about her pregnancy was "harder than labor."

"I couldn't even say it, I was sick to my stomach," Palin says.

Both Bristol and Sarah Palin expressed skepticism about abstinence-only programs, which the Alaska governor supported when running for governor in 2006. "It sounds naive. Life happens," Sarah Palin said during a later interview with Van Susteren. "Truly, it can happen to anybody ... Less than ideal circumstances but we make the most out of it."

"Everybody should be abstinent but it's not realistic at all," added Bristol. "You should just wait ten years. It will be so much easier."

by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 11:40 PM
Replies (11-20):
Junebug926
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Sadly though a large number of the population doesn't hold up their end of parenting either. The schools have to be parents as well as educators due to the parents out there that shouldn't have children. Is this right? No but if the schools don't do it who will?! That's right, no one. If there schools weren't there to teach children manners, discipline, and about life then a shocking number of children would grow up to be as bad or worse than their parents. The school and teach my child about sex ed and as a parent I'll do my job and back it up so that my child will understand that at home it is okay to talk about sex as well.

Quoting kkjacobs:

WELL PUT

Quoting gogetem:

I don't need the government doing my job for me as a mommy.  They can't even manage to uphold the constitution.   They can butt out and leave the parenting to me.

freespirited1
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Abstience-only education is a complete joke and a failure. Teens need to learn and have access to safe, reliable contraception. I am shocked when people say they think this abstinence-only stuff would work. LOL!!

Zeluva
by Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 11:38 AM

for some, yes, abstinance only is very realistic... I was 16 before i ever even kissed a guy, not french kiss, just kiss!

But I firmly believe in teaching sex ed classes. Lets show kids both sides of the coin, without doing that there is no chance for them to use reasoning power and they panic...

I knew what sex was, not from school but from my parents, they never lie to us and that helped me! These parents that shelter their kids I feel end up hurting them in the long run...

Sex Ed will be taught to my daughter one way or another... I am highly considering home schooling her at some point, never thought of it, but what I can teach her she will actually use, what these schools teach is complete nonsense and just pisses parents and students off! I am not sure yet, if anyone who homeschools their children could send me a message I would love to learn about it.

thanks.

-Zel

~** I'm an outspoken, bear chasin', World of Warcraft playin', animal eatin', standard drivin', Obama hatin', jean wearin', over textin', finger poppin', nail bitin', burpin' and fartin', Plott lovin', TeeShirt wearin', pop drinkin', animal huntin', and cussin' SOB! If you don't like it, please, call the hotline, join the club, and be sure to order your jackets early, for they are going fast! **~
Zeluva
by Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Quoting Junebug926:

Sadly though a large number of the population doesn't hold up their end of parenting either. The schools have to be parents as well as educators due to the parents out there that should have children. Is this right? No but if the schools don't do it who will?! That's right, no one. If there schools weren't there to teach children manners, discipline, and about life then a shocking number of children would grow up to be as bad or worse than their parents. The school and teach my child about sex ed and as a parent I'll do my job and back it up so that my child will understand that at home it is okay to talk about sex as well.

Quoting kkjacobs:

WELL PUT

Quoting gogetem:

I don't need the government doing my job for me as a mommy.  They can't even manage to uphold the constitution.   They can butt out and leave the parenting to me.

Well put June!

~** I'm an outspoken, bear chasin', World of Warcraft playin', animal eatin', standard drivin', Obama hatin', jean wearin', over textin', finger poppin', nail bitin', burpin' and fartin', Plott lovin', TeeShirt wearin', pop drinkin', animal huntin', and cussin' SOB! If you don't like it, please, call the hotline, join the club, and be sure to order your jackets early, for they are going fast! **~
my2boyz117
by Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 12:08 PM

What would it hurt for them to learn this in school,  as well as at home, I don't get the issue..

Quoting kkjacobs:

WELL PUT

Quoting gogetem:

teamquinn
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Sex ed in schools... I don't know about you all but my daughter's  sex ed was a joke.  They start way too late and it's way too, "textbook".   As a parent it is my job to start that discussion in both informal and formal ways.  When my girls were younger and they came into the bathroom with me we talked about body parts and safe touches.  As they got older we talked about the changes of puberty.  My older one and I have talked about sex, both the good and the dangers.  I have tried to tell her the truth, that yes she will be tempted, and she will have to decide if she is willing to accept all the risk and emotional cost of becoming sexually active.  The other part that I think is missing for many young women is positive self image.  I have told my girls they are beautiful and special.  I have told my oldest that sex is an expression of love between a husband and wife.  Sex does not equal love.  Any boy that pressures you to have sex isn't worth being with.  You are worth waiting for, you can only give your virginity away once.  Will all this work...I hope so.  But I am not about to expect and trust the schools alone to teach my children their values or basic information. 

I don't think abtinence only sex ed is realistic, at least not in a public school setting.  The children have to have a value system that gives them a reason for abstinence and the schools can't give that.

I would like to see the schools giving a more realistic picture of young motherhood.  It's not a baby doll you can give back.

sweetmama71
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 1:01 PM

I am a 37 yr-old mom of  3, one is a 16 yr-old boy. I definitely think the schools should teach our kids sex ed and put abstinence in there. They should be taught everything from abstinence to birth control to STD's/HIV to pregancy and birth. They should also be taught the emotional side of having a sexual relationship. They need to know how having sex can effect someone emotionally. It's just not a physical act. And we as responsible parents should reenforce it at home and teach them morals. We also need to be very honest and open with our kids/teens. Especially about sex and our own past experiences.

I had my 16 yr-old son out of marriage and I did not marry his father. I was 20 yrs-old and still living at home. I have been very honest with him about everything and my past. I have changed my life since then too and became a Christian. So I teach him and his sibilings to wait til marriage, but I also know that that is not always the case. I was brought by Christian parents also but still had sex/a child before marriage. I hope my kids wait til marriage but I have to accept it if they don't. I think we should be supportive no matter what our kids choices are. They need to have our 100% unconditional love on all things. And I think that is the only way to have an open, honest relationship with our kids. If they feel we are supportive and love them unconditionally, they will more likely come to us with things/questions about sex, babies, birth control.....etc.

KIMBERLY-mom of 3 awesome kids....
morningdove831
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Quoting Junebug926:

I totally agree with this. In the US we make it all so taboo. Heaven forbid we talk about sex and our bodies as if we ignore the subject and just tell kids not to they will. 18 year olds can go off to war to serve our country, to die for our country, but yet we don't want to give them the information about their own bodies?! Seriously, that is messed up!!

I agree.  I want my son to feel comfortable talking to me about sex, etc., when he gets to that age.  Abstinence-only generally does not work.  Teenagers with raging hormones are going to experiment.  It's up to parents to teach kids about proper means of protection from STD's, contraception, etc.  That doesn't mean I want my son to be a man-whore, but since he will likely not wait til marriage, why not educate him properly? 

I don't think sex-ed should be left up to the school entirely.  It's up to the parents to educate their children as well.  My mom told me all about my period, sex, everything ... at the age of 10 ... and when I got my period a month later, I was calm and collected because I knew what was happening to my body. 

Bianca008
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 1:28 PM

My son is going to "COOL CAMP " next month . Here at our junior high the grade 8's go on a trip overnight . For 2 days they have guest speakers talk to the kids and teach them all they need to know . They talk about abstinence , relationships , peer pressure , date rape , drugs ,std's .They teach them how to use contraceptives .   It's a great program . I wish every school did it . Also my husband and I are very open with our kids . I have no problem talking to them about anything .

Edit : Here they start them out in grade five and teach them about puberty. Each grade they go into it more .

Lexy2518
by Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 2:02 PM

I had health class for the first time in 5th grade to teach us about our bodies, as this was the age right before puberty. Some kids were all ready starting puberty at this point too! We again had health class in 8th grade and we were taught about everything. In fact we even had to do "rice" babies. What it was is a 5 lb. bag of rice zipped into a cloth baby the home ec .teacher made. You then picked out of a bowl what baby you got. A boy, girl, white, chinese, black, twins. Incidentally I actually picked twins( I actually have twins now! weird but true!)  and we were expected to have them for a week, the weekend and all. If we had practice or some activity we were required to find a babysitter and have them sign a piece of paper saying for how long they did. If anyone reported the baby laying around w/o supervision I believe you failed. We also had to learn about W.I.C. and food stamps and what was available to young parents. The boys had to do it too. I believe this helped some kids to the reality fo what it would be like. Then in 10th grade health we were taught about STD's and protection and birth control(abstinence was a form that was taught).I do feel as if the schools should write the parents a note home before these classes are taught so we as parents have the oppurtunity to be involved in the educating of sex and we can talk about what they learned that day at home together. I would rather my children know the facts. I plan on teaching my children all about sex and the benefits and consequences. After all sex is human nature. I will teach my children it is natural, but that we should do it with someone we love whole heartedly and not just casually. I remember a parent pulled a kid out of our 8th grade health class because we were being taught about sex. He told us his mom thought he was too young. I still find this silly to this day, because if we hesitate and don't teach our children, they will get curious and will potentially act on it if we don't get to them first and educate them about it all. I see it this way if we dont' educate them they will just hear it from a friend or someone else and will possibly be misinformed. I know I'm repeating myself, but don't run scared from your children about sex, embrace it/ them and have a serious conversation and EDUCATE, EDUCATE, EDUCATE!! there are too many scary diseases running around out there to not let them know all the facts!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured