Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Is Abstinence-Only Realistic? Should Schools Teach Sex Ed? Sarah Palin Video - "Life Happens"

Bristol Palin: Abstinence-Only Isn't 'Realistic'

18-year-old Bristol Palin, who had her own baby last December, gave her first interview to FOX News's Greta Van Susteren this weekend. Much of the conversation, not surprisingly, revolved around the challenges of being a new mom.

"It's not just the baby that's hard. I'm not living for myself anymore," Palin says. But "I like being a mom. I love it ... It is very challenging but so rewarding." She also said telling her parents about her pregnancy was "harder than labor."

"I couldn't even say it, I was sick to my stomach," Palin says.

Both Bristol and Sarah Palin expressed skepticism about abstinence-only programs, which the Alaska governor supported when running for governor in 2006. "It sounds naive. Life happens," Sarah Palin said during a later interview with Van Susteren. "Truly, it can happen to anybody ... Less than ideal circumstances but we make the most out of it."

"Everybody should be abstinent but it's not realistic at all," added Bristol. "You should just wait ten years. It will be so much easier."

by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 11:40 PM
Replies (21-24):
IdaKaye
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Well first off the opinion of a 18 yr old unmarried teen Mom is not at the top of "revered" advice. 

I think it's great to teach about sex, diseases, in school.  I think it's wrong to teach the use of contraceptives as this has to do with morality.  We all don't have the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  One Mom wants her 13 yr old to enjoy sex exploration, and prepared to buy all that may be needed.  Another may feel sex is for inside marriage only.   Tje Parent should have the final say on these moral matters.

BTW their are no SAFE sex practices.   Condoms are not foolproof against anything.  So adviceing teens this will take care of disease and pregnancy is simply irresponsible.  Now female condoms are better at both.  But what teen couple would use them before any type of touching started?  None I know of. 

.Tiggeroo87.
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 3:40 PM

That's why Bristol's saying it's not realistic. It's just not possible, at 13, you're almost an adult, and you are old enough to start making your own decisions without parental consent. That includes decisions on your sexuality.

Quoting freespirited1:

Abstience-only education is a complete joke and a failure. Teens need to learn and have access to safe, reliable contraception. I am shocked when people say they think this abstinence-only stuff would work. LOL!!

WritingMom777
by Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 3:55 PM

If all parents were responsible, caring people we wouldn't HAVE to resort to sex ed in schools.  The reality is that there a lot of clueless parents who decide to talk about sex when their kids are in high school.  My mom brought up birth control the summer before I went to college. 

I am thankful that I had school as a safe place to ask serious questions.  My mom's favorite saying about virgins, by the way was that a virgin was "an ugly third grader." 

mamaoftwins9197
by Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Absolutely schools should still teach sex ed...sometimes, that's the only education that some kids get, other than what their friends tell them.  Absitence only sounds great, and I hope that my kids hold out as long as possible, but it's really not realistic.  I lost my virginity at 19, later than any of my friends.  Looking back, I still wish I had waited longer.  Kids are curious, it's in their nature.  If they don't know about the dangers and consequences of sex, we will have a lot more abortions, a lot more unwanted children, and a whole lot more incidences of STD's.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN