Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Obama orders 17,000 U.S. troops to Afghanistan - What do you think? We will be able to stop the Taliban?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 12:13 AM
  • 83 Replies

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama approved adding some 17,000 U.S. troops for the flagging war in Afghanistan, his first significant move to change the course of a conflict that his closest military advisers have warned the United States is not winning.

"This increase is necessary to stabilize a deteriorating situation in Afghanistan, which has not received the strategic attention, direction and resources it urgently requires," Obama said in a statement.

That was a slap at his predecessor, George W. Bush, whom Obama has accused of slighting urgent national security needs in Afghanistan in favor of war in Iraq.

The White House said the new commander in chief would send a Marine unit and one additional Army brigade to Afghanistan this spring and summer. About 8,000 Marines are expected to go first, followed by an Army brigade, totalling about 4,000 troops, and 5,000 support forces. The United States has slightly more than 30,000 troops in the country now.

The new troops represent the first installment on a larger influx of U.S. forces widely expected this year. Obama's move would put several thousand troops in place in time for the increase in fighting that usually occurs with warmer weather and ahead of national elections in August.

The additional forces partly answer a standing request from the U.S. commander in Afghanistan, Gen. David McKiernan, who has sought as many as 30,000 additional U.S. troops to counter the resurgence of the Taliban militants and protect Afghan civilians.

"There is no more solemn duty as president than the decision to deploy our armed forces into harm's way," Obama said. "I do it today mindful that the situation in Afghanistan and Pakistan demands urgent attention and swift action."

Obama's plan to withdraw troops from Iraq allows him to increase the numbers in Afghanistan. Last fall, the Pentagon announced that the Fort Lewis brigade was being ordered to go to Iraq. Tuesday's announcement changes their destination. It was not clear whether the Pentagon would send another unit to Iraq in its place. If not, Iraq forces would drop by one brigade.

Ahead of his first foreign trip this week, Obama told a Canadian news organization that the United States will seek a more comprehensive, diplomatic approach to Afghanistan, where the U.S. has been engaged in war since 2001.

"I am absolutely convinced that you cannot solve the problem of Afghanistan, the Taliban, the spread of extremism in that region solely through military means," the president said in a White House interview with Toronto-based Canadian Broadcasting Corp.

Obama agreed to a troop recommendation from Defense Secretary Robert Gates, the lone holdover from the Bush administration. Pentagon officials had been expecting a similar announcement for weeks, but the new Obama team took about a month choosing how and when to add forces to a war that has been sliding backward.

The president made his decision Tuesday, a senior White House official said. The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity ahead of the announcement, said Obama informed congressional leaders and Afghan President Hamid Karzai by phone.

by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MELRN
by Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 12:20 AM

what is the reason we can put a man on the moon but can't catch an old guy wearing a robe who requires dialysis 3 times a week??

In an aside I took care of  16 year old pregnant girl today. Baby's Daddy will be heading to Afganistan in June (he was with her) he is 25 and married (not to the 16 year old) LOL  Anybody think too much extra curricular activity going on with the military peps??

Eilish
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 12:21 AM

No wonder he promised the troops out of Iraq ... he needed to fulfill his own vendeta in Afghanistan.

http://www.libertystickers.com/static/images/Same-shit-diff-piles.gif

kristine002003
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 12:23 AM

Im sorry but im so anti-obama! My husband is a marine and it just anoys me so much! First of all obamas all like we are pulling out and dissing Bush, everyone needs to give that man a break! Also obama plans on cutting military, which is all ready low enough! But I do agree with sending more troops they need them over there to finish all this mess!

Scorpio359
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 12:23 AM

Quoting MELRN:

what is the reason we can put a man on the moon but can't catch an old guy wearing a robe who requires dialysis 3 times a week??

In an aside I took care of  16 year old pregnant girl today. Baby's Daddy will be heading to Afganistan in June (he was with her) he is 25 and married (not to the 16 year old) LOL  Anybody think too much extra curricular activity going on with the military peps??

Not any more than the civilian population.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gogetem
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 12:34 AM

Gotta say, as a military wife I disagree.  men in the military don't have wifeys to crack down on them and teach them how to be a real man several months out of the year.  It takes them longer to grow up IMO.

As far as Obama and troops.  I have very awkward views about it, and I'll be blunt.

I want the troops home.  I love them to the depths of my soul... every one of them.   I miss them.  I cry for them and I cry for their familes on a regular basis

I do not agree with war...  makes no sense coming from a military wife, right?  I don't label myself.  I may not agree with war, but I understand that is is necessary given certain circumstances and natural human behavior.  I cannot decide if we belong there or not.  But the men on the front lines can.  Every one of them I've talked with insists on staying, so for now I'm siding with them.

Quoting Scorpio359:

Quoting MELRN:

Not any more than the civilian population.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Flickr
Photography by Kat Benson. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr
bluewolf
by Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 12:55 AM

save our troops send the illegal aliens over there to fight for this country and as long as they r willing to do that then they can become citizens we need help in the states to

i think they sent the illegals over in one of the world wars and it worked

cmarielin
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 2:04 AM

Nobody likes war - but if it weren't for war, there would still be slavery.  If it weren't for war, maybe we'd still be under the rule of Great Britain, and we wouldn't be the U.S.A. at all.  Who knows what would have happened to America?  The king, at that time, was a tyrant.  I don't think it could be said any plainer than that. 

I support the troops, as well as what they do.  Ask the men in the military if they believe in, and want to do, what they're doing in the war on terror.  Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and many of us will have one, but the opinions that matter most right now is the opinions of the ones doing the work. 

I just hope they find Osama Bin Laden.  It's not as if Muslim terror on our country is a new thing.  They were on our butts in America's earliest years, too.  (Yeah, I know that wasn't very politically correct of me to say, but if PC gets in the way of telling the truth, then PC goes out the window.  I love my country.) 

I pray for our troops' protection and Godspeed.

tuplamama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Haven't you read the news? USA'a ally Pakistan just made a deal with Taleban & Taleban friendly tribes. This enforced Sharia law means for example that no girl can go to school - Taleban of course continues attacks against schoolgirls in Afganistan too - latest "fashion" is throw acid on the girls walking to school. So to answer your question - no, I do not think that there is any hope for Afgan people.

From BBC;

"Pakistan has signed a peace deal with a Taleban group that will lead to the enforcement of the Islamic Sharia law in the restive Swat valley.

Regional officials urged the Taleban, who agreed a 10-day truce on Sunday, to lay down their arms permanently.

Once one of Pakistan's most popular holiday destinations, the Swat valley is now mostly under Taleban control.

Thousands of people have fled and hundreds of schools have been destroyed since the Taleban insurgency in 2007.

Chief Minister of North West Frontier Province Ameer Hussain Hoti announced a bill had been signed that would implement a new "order of justice" in the Malakand division, which includes Swat."

nanaof5and4kids
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 11:31 AM

I lost my brother in law in 9/11world trade center he was a firefighter and it took a lot out of are family. if this move even scares the Taliban and sends a message that says you can not do this to anyone again it is worth it .. this country was hurt badly on 9/11 to many people went to forget but if we do and don;t find those who did this to us all of the people who died died in vane.i pray   for them every day and there families.american flag ribbon

dr_m
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 11:58 AM

We will be able to stop the Taliban?

We already did get the taliban out of afghanistan after 9/11/01, but then let it slide, and they re-organised, mostly in Pakistan, and have taken back over in many parts of afg.   we were mostly in iraq at the time..  We might be able to oust them again, but maybe they would just keep coming back..  Al qaeda, who attacked us, should be our main target (eg with bin ladin), but they are in Pakistan, so they say, so pakistan is supposed to be our friend, ???  We have to get Al qaeda mostly in Pakistan..  this is complicated, i know..  but that is what has to be accomplished..  looks like we are starting to try..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)