Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Chimp attacks woman: animal experts unsure of why

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 10:34 AM
  • 19 Replies

In light of the attack, do you think exotic animals should be kept as pets?  Do you think the owner of the chimp should be charged with anything?

Animal experts are baffled by chimp attack

STAMFORD, Conn. (AP) — Travis the chimpanzee, a veteran of TV commercials, was the constant companion of a lonely Connecticut widow who fed him steak, lobster and ice cream. He could eat at the table, drink wine from a stemmed glass, use the toilet, and dress and bathe himself.

He brushed his teeth with a Water Pik, logged on to a computer to look at photos and channel-surfed television with the remote control.

But on Monday, the wild animal in him came out with a vengeance.

The 200-pound animal viciously mauled a friend of his owner before being shot to death by police.

Investigators are trying to figure out why — whether it was a bout of Lyme disease, a reaction to drugs, or a case of instinct taking over.

"It's hard to say what exactly precipitated this behavior," said Colleen McCann, a primatologist at the Bronx Zoo. "At the end of the day, they are not human and you can't always predict their behavior and how they or any other wild animal will respond when they feel threatened."

You can also read more about this story on the Big Kid Daily Buzz: Chimp Attack: Should Kids Have Exotic Pets

by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
raynasmommy1
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Wild animals?  No probably not.  But im not sure if I believe this story because typically when something like this happens, there are pictures of it, and I havent seen any.  But I could totally be wrong

dr_m
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 10:46 AM

i saw it on the news this am, the owner was there and they played the 911 call, saw pic of the chimp trying to get into police car, and the lady who raised him as a "son" said to shoot him...so i believe it..   The pet was fine for over 15 years..  apparently the lady gave him xanax before this attack..  maybye it was related to the medicine.... 

i think people should be allowed to have the pets they want..  but not if they are dangerous.. even nice dogs have been known to attack people, even family or friends,  suddenly for no apparent reason...   and a friend's cat jumped and bit it's owner's arm cause he thought she was letting another cat in...    not to mention some violent people that have to be put away...

jenjobrien
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 10:49 AM

I heard it had something to do with her getting her hair cut.  She looked a certain way for so long that when she appeared different to the chimp he went nuts.

Junebug926
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 10:51 AM

No, I don't think it's right. People need to leave animals alone.

cmarielin
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 10:54 AM

I saw this on the news....noooo, I do not think that exotic animals should be kept as pets.

If we really love animals, why do we keep them confined in an unnatural environment and expect them to live in a way that is unnatural for them?  Honestly, I know for a fact that even some species of dogs are unhappy living cooped up in our houses and yards.  JMHO.

little flower

raynasmommy1
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Well then I am probably wrong, but I have only seen this story online with no pics.  I dont watch the news though.  but no I dont think wild pets should be animals.

Quoting dr_m:

i saw it on the news this am, the owner was there and they played the 911 call, saw pic of the chimp trying to get into police car, and the lady who raised him as a "son" said to shoot him...so i believe it..   The pet was fine for over 15 years..  apparently the lady gave him xanax before this attack..  maybye it was related to the medicine.... 

i think people should be allowed to have the pets they want..  but not if they are dangerous.. even nice dogs have been known to attack people, even family or friends,  suddenly for no apparent reason...   and a friend's cat jumped and bit it's owner's arm cause he thought she was letting another cat in...    not to mention some violent people that have to be put away...

Katie911
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Okay first off Travis was with his owner for 14 years.  He was in commericals and stuff like that.  She had had some problems with keeping him under control.  According to her on the Today show he had gotten out of the house and stolen a car or two. 

I think what happened is terrible.  And the owner begged them to shoot the chimp.  She knew it had to be done.  She said that he was like a son, yet she stabbed him herself. 

Should wild animals be kept as pets?  NO.  But you have to decide for yourself what is wild and what is not.  All animals have instincts.  A house cat can go crazy with no rhyme or reason.  A dog you have raised yourself can maul you with no warning.  A horse you have riden for years can suddenly throw you and bolt.

All these animals were at one time wild.  And are now what we call domesicated.  The chimp was raised from 3 months by this woman.  He was as domestic as a cat, dog or horse.  JMO

LauraSladicka
by Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Quoting jenjobrien:

I heard it had something to do with her getting her hair cut.  She looked a certain way for so long that when she appeared different to the chimp he went nuts.

I love your tracker at the bottom of your post. "If someone asks me one more time how I am feeling..." Isn't that the truth!!!!!! I wanted to get a t-shirt made while I was pregnant that said "I feel good, I am tired, it's a boy, I am due in October and YES, this iced mocha is decaf" Happy pregnancy and congrats on your baby girl!

4boysmom32
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 1:58 PM

I am completely against exotic animals being kept as pets.  Not only is it risky and dangerous, but it is cruel to the animals.  There are certain animals that are bred specifically to be pets (dogs, cats, guinea pigs, etc.)  Animals have instincts that they are born with.  Domestic animals are born with the instinct to be domesticated.  These animals are happy as pets, and could not survive in the wild.  At the same time, an animal that is not meant to be kept as a pet is also born with instincts and they are liable to act on those instincts.   A wild animal will act like a wild animal regardless of how it was raised.    

popcorn

Do you love the classics?  Come join us at Fans of Classic Cinema!

www.cafemom.com/group/focc

babynumber1
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 2:03 PM

"Exotic" animals?  Eh it depends...my MIL is a wildlife rehabilitator and has had a numerous amount of animals in her home as pets..recently including two iguanas.  They were just fine and NEVER harmed anyone.  Now on the other hand a Chimp?  Eh not so much...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)