Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Does the father have any rights?".....When it comes to abortions or adoption~

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 4:15 PM
  • 29 Replies

I'm curious to know what people think about the fathers and their rights when it comes to the abortion of THEIR child.

I know that "it's the woman's body" and therefore, "it's the woman's right to do as she sees fit" and out of all the posts I've ever read or seen....be it on cafemom or anywhere in general.....I have never seen the question come up about the rights of the father.

Do you think that the father has rights to the unborn baby? I feel that the father does have rights to the baby that he fathered/may have fathered~ 

Do you think that the father should have say in the mother wanting/having an abortion? I also believe that the father should have say in the decision~

Do you think that if a fathers right are in question there should  be a "stay of execution" for the unborn child until paternity can be determined? I feel that if paternity is in question, by a father willing to take responsibility for a child, then yes......an abortion should not be an option. 

Now what about adoption?  Should the father have any rights or say in the mother choosing to put the child up for adoption?  I believe that if you have a father who is willing to take care of, support, raise a child that the mother may have choosen to give up for adoption he should be given the option to do so.

***Now don't get me wrong.  There are reasons when a father should NOT have a say.  If the child is the result of rape or incest, if the father is a drug user, alcoholic, criminal, "wife beater", "child beater".......then of course, those go without saying.  But, in my examples let's just assume that the father is a responsible adult who has a full-time job and owns a home and is more than capable of raising a baby with a supportive family life***

by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 4:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Tiggeroo87.
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 4:18 PM

No, I believe the father should not have a say in the woman's choice to have an abortion, he helped made the child, yes, but his body will not carry the child.

If the mother chooses adoption, the father I believe, should have a say in it, since the baby will be carried to term and birthed. I even believe the father should offer the baby be given to him if both parents are not together, and the mother doesn't want the baby, in the event the father is a good guy, with no criminal records or history. 

rorosmom
by Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Do you think that the father has rights to the unborn baby? I do not believe he has any rights until the baby is no longer inside of the mother's womb.

Do you think that the father should have say in the mother wanting/having an abortion? I do not believe he should have any say in the mother's decision.  that is not to say she can't listen to him, but the ultimate choice is hers and hers alone.  (and  since he can’t make one "He has no right to tell a woman when where to create one")

Do you think that if a fathers right are in question there should  be a "stay of execution" for the unborn child until paternity can be determined? If you are refering to preventing the woman from obtaining an abortion, NOPE.  her body, her choice.

Now what about adoption?  Should the father have any rights or say in the mother choosing to put the child up for adoption?  Okay, baby born, yes now the father has the right to object to the child being adopted.  He has the absolute right to raise his own child. 

maurel80
by Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Do you think that the father has rights to the unborn baby?I think so. After all , it's his child also.

Do you think that the father should have say in the mother wanting/having an abortion?  Again, yes, it's  his child just as much as it is hers.

Do you think that if a fathers right are in question there should  be a "stay of execution" for the unborn child until paternity can be determinedYep

Now what about adoption?  Should the father have any rights or say in the mother choosing to put the child up for adoption?  IF the father is willing to take on the responsibility of the child and the mother doesn't want the child then yes.

In my opinion, the father has just as much right to the child (unborn or born).

Intrinsic.Elite
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 5:28 PM

No, I do not believe a man has the right to tell a woman to go further with a pregnancy.  Once a man has autonomy over bodily rights of the woman there is no saying what control they can next.  They can force other things - force to abort - force to the culling of other reproductive rights (hysterectomy and tubals) and so on.  We can't have one and not allow for the other parts.  Because even though it is about the unborn - In order to get the unborn the man needs to "use" the woman's body so she can gestate against her will - in order for him to have that child. If they have rights to my body, then I should have rights to theirs and I find it a "rape" when one person must dictate whether I do or do not abort.

As far as adoption is concerned - If a woman gives birth and wishes to place a child up for adoption then it is a different story.  It is no longer about the woman's body, but the interests of a seperate being (baby).  If a Father wants the rights to Parenthood and interests show in favour (to the child) that this is to the baby's best interest (and not the Father's) then by all means adoption is to be granted to him.

joyinok
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 5:31 PM

I don't think dads should have prebirth say.  Afterall, they aren't dads, just possibly dads to be (who knows if the mom would have carried to term naturally).  Once born, dads have say.  I also think dads should be able to give up parental rights prebirth should the mom opt to have a child, stay single, but expect the dad to pay. 

Junebug926
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 5:48 PM

No because this could go both ways. What if the father said absolutely not should the mother carry his baby and he DEMANDS an abortion? Why is it that he can have rights when he wants to force the mother to carry the child and doesn't have any rights when he wants her to abort it?

mommy2twoangel
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 5:52 PM

I think you missed the question.  It is not does he have the right to TELL her to not have an abortion, just the right to have input on the decision.  Does he have the right to have his feelings considered in the desicion she makes?  Should he be involved?  Yes, I think he should.  He was part of the conception and should be able to help decide what is done.  Yes it is her body, but it is also his baby.  When the baby has a heartbeat, it is living being and is his child. 

Quoting Intrinsic.Elite:

No, I do not believe a man has the right to tell a woman to go further with a pregnancy.  Once a man has autonomy over bodily rights of the woman there is no saying what control they can next.  They can force other things - force to abort - force to the culling of other reproductive rights (hysterectomy and tubals) and so on.  We can't have one and not allow for the other parts.  Because even though it is about the unborn - In order to get the unborn the man needs to "use" the woman's body so she can gestate against her will - in order for him to have that child. If they have rights to my body, then I should have rights to theirs and I find it a "rape" when one person must dictate whether I do or do not abort.

As far as adoption is concerned - If a woman gives birth and wishes to place a child up for adoption then it is a different story.  It is no longer about the woman's body, but the interests of a seperate being (baby).  If a Father wants the rights to Parenthood and interests show in favour (to the child) that this is to the baby's best interest (and not the Father's) then by all means adoption is to be granted to him.

Intrinsic.Elite
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Yes I do believe he should have a say perse.  I could only hope that the couple could agree on whatever terms they decide.  But that doesn't always work out that way.  In the OP's note she specifically asks does the man have the "right" to an unborn child.  IF the woman's wishes trump that of the man then no he should not have any right.

And that is why I answered the way I did.

Quoting mommy2twoangel:

I think you missed the question.  It is not does he have the right to TELL her to not have an abortion, just the right to have input on the decision.  Does he have the right to have his feelings considered in the desicion she makes?  Should he be involved?  Yes, I think he should.  He was part of the conception and should be able to help decide what is done.  Yes it is her body, but it is also his baby.  When the baby has a heartbeat, it is living being and is his child. 

Quoting Intrinsic.Elite:

cbtkw95
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 5:55 PM

Yes the father should have rights, it is HIS child too!

mommy2twoangel
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Ok, I'm with ya.  I must have miss understood.  Sorry.  :)

Quoting Intrinsic.Elite:

Yes I do believe he should have a say perse.  I could only hope that the couple could agree on whatever terms they decide.  But that doesn't always work out that way.  In the OP's note she specifically asks does the man have the "right" to an unborn child.  IF the woman's wishes trump that of the man then no he should not have any right.

And that is why I answered the way I did.

Quoting mommy2twoangel:

Quoting Intrinsic.Elite:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured