Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hot Topic (2/19): Science vs. Religion - Should Public Schools Teach Creationism?

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 2:41 AM
  • 55 Replies

This is being discussed in CafeMom's Daily Buzz:
Science vs. Religion: Teaching Creationism in Public Schools

According to the New York Times, a leading scientific group "has announced its intention to boycott Louisiana because of a new state law that could open the door to teaching creationism in public schools."

The measure was actually signed into law last summer by LA Gov. Bobby Jindal. The controversial legistative language states that teachers will be allowed to "use supplemental textbooks" in the classroom to "help students critique and review scientific theories."

In response to the law, the major science group the Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology announced it would not hold its 2011 annual meeting in New Orleans, opting for Salt Lake City instead. Scientists strongly feel the law is a roundabout way to allow the teaching of creationism--as opposed to evolution--in the classroom.

Do you believe schools should be allowed to teach creationism?

by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 2:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amo3373
by New Member on Feb. 19, 2009 at 4:46 AM
I do because religion is based on faith.. Plus, there are so many parts to evolution. Maybe middle school even. That age group is trying to get an identity. Don't we also at that age need to start teaching kids to think more for themselves??
lakegeorge_mom
by Member on Feb. 19, 2009 at 5:32 AM

Our school does, we bus our kids across the street to the catholic church for religious ed, and my daughter has come home several times asking me about this. They also discussed CERN and their big bang theory and how they feel they have proved it, which is very scientific and not so much religious. I think schools need to stay neutral, we have several different religions in many areas, and its not fair for them to learn of some and not others, so unless we are going to cover all religions in school, I think it should be avoided. Honestly its just not a good idea. Arent there better things we can learn in school to prepare our kids for good jobs? We have so many churches here, go to church and learn about religion, school is for education.

amo3373
by New Member on Feb. 19, 2009 at 5:51 AM

Quoting lakegeorge_mom:

Our school does, we bus our kids across the street to the catholic church for religious ed, and my daughter has come home several times asking me about this. They also discussed CERN and their big bang theory and how they feel they have proved it, which is very scientific and not so much religious. I think schools need to stay neutral, we have several different religions in many areas, and its not fair for them to learn of some and not others, so unless we are going to cover all religions in school, I think it should be avoided. Honestly its just not a good idea. Arent there better things we can learn in school to prepare our kids for good jobs? We have so many churches here, go to church and learn about religion, school is for education.

I'm confused.. Do you agree or disagree? I just think science is made up of hypthesis and isn't exact but it does still leave room for err as well as religions.
Dzyre1115
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2009 at 7:30 AM

Schools should be teaching all types of theories and beliefs it's the point of school, to learn.  The public school system has become so politically correct that the children are becoming less and less educated and less worldly.  Honestly I watch my nieces and nephews get on the public school bus and they look like they are headed off to a concentration camp and they are in first and fourth grade.  I can't imagine how turned off to school they will be in high school.  By teaching more worldly subjects and expanding it to include scientific and spiritual points of view you may spark more imagination and participation with debate and questions.   My children go to Catholic School and love going.  My son in 9th grade is taking a religious debate class and talks about it every night after school, it sparked his interest.  He is by no means a scholar he is a jock and would rather be in the gym or on the football field than anywhere else but the freedom to teach the kids and not fight bureaucracy has kept him interested.  Public schools should take notes and go back to teaching everything and not just what a small minority thinks is right! 

Junebug926
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2009 at 8:00 AM

If creationism is taught in school it needs to be done in a religion class. Creationism has no place in a science class. Plus if you start getting into creationism then your talking about people walking around with dinosaurs. Are you really wanting to get into all of that in a public school? In a SCIENCE class, the SCIENTIFCIC THEORY  is taught. Religious beliefs do not have a place in public schools because if we teach one, we should teach all. Do we really have time for all of that?! I get tired of people picking and choosing their religions that need to be taught in school (mostly Christian). If you are going to teach that god said "let there be man" and poof there was then we need to teach the Budist beliefs about karma, etc.

MissMarce
by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 8:16 AM

I think the schools should teach some of everything. Don't focus on one belief, but teach a little about all beliefs. Heck these days they don't even teach them about other countries let alone our own. I have been exposed lately to some young people who don't even know we have only 50 states.  

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Feb. 19, 2009 at 8:19 AM

In reference to public schools, creationism should not be taught as fact in a science class.  Creationism is based upon the Christian bible and has no place in secular schools.  Discussing or debating it in a religious studies class that discusses all religions should be allowed -- but it should not be taught as "fact" in a science classroom.

Sherri
morningdove831
by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 8:40 AM

I believe it should be presented as a theory along with evolution ... simply to get kids to think for themselves.   

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Feb. 19, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Um...where is the scientific evidence for creationism???

I'm going with NO.  To "teach" creationism...you have to "teach" religion. 

That's a big fat "no no" in public schools. 

If you're covering the way for "christian" existence then you need to cover the reason we exist as it is according to Hindus, Muslims, etc, etc, etc.

Stick with evolution and let the children who have parents who disagree tell them how much their textbooks suck when they get home. 

Katie911
by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 9:23 AM

I think separation of church and state was created to keep the government from controlling the church the way England always did. 

My children are very involved in their church.  I don't think we should force our beliefs on others.  BUT, I do not allow my kids to be taught about evolution.  I sign a waiver every year.  My children are taught that God created Heaven and Earth and that we DID NOT come from monkeys. 

Darwin was an idiot!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN