Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hot Topic (2/19): Science vs. Religion - Should Public Schools Teach Creationism?

This is being discussed in CafeMom's Daily Buzz:
Science vs. Religion: Teaching Creationism in Public Schools

According to the New York Times, a leading scientific group "has announced its intention to boycott Louisiana because of a new state law that could open the door to teaching creationism in public schools."

The measure was actually signed into law last summer by LA Gov. Bobby Jindal. The controversial legistative language states that teachers will be allowed to "use supplemental textbooks" in the classroom to "help students critique and review scientific theories."

In response to the law, the major science group the Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology announced it would not hold its 2011 annual meeting in New Orleans, opting for Salt Lake City instead. Scientists strongly feel the law is a roundabout way to allow the teaching of creationism--as opposed to evolution--in the classroom.

Do you believe schools should be allowed to teach creationism?

by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 2:41 AM
Replies (51-55):
hsteele
by on Feb. 20, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Quoting Katie911:

Darwin was an idiot!

Darwin was a brilliant scientists whose beliefs might differ from your own. THat doesn't make him an idiot. Do you beleive that anyone whose beliefs about the worlds creation differ from your own are idiots. That would mean that more than half the earths population are idiots, because more than half the earth's population are non-christians.

hsteele
by on Feb. 20, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Quoting JanMarie225:

Quoting anxiousschk:

Um...where is the scientific evidence for creationism???

I'm going with NO.  To "teach" creationism...you have to "teach" religion. 

That's a big fat "no no" in public schools. 

If you're covering the way for "christian" existence then you need to cover the reason we exist as it is according to Hindus, Muslims, etc, etc, etc.

Stick with evolution and let the children who have parents who disagree tell them how much their textbooks suck when they get home. 

Where's the scientific evidence for evolution? Last time I checked, it was still a THEORY. You don't have to be christian to believe in creationism, it just makes more sense.

Labeling something a theory does not mean there is a lack of evidence. A theory means it is the best idea based on the evidence available. There is quite a bit of evidence concerning the evolution of animal and plant species that inhabit our earth.There are some articles available at this link presenting the evidence for the theory of evolution. By the way. Gravity used to be just a theory too. Are we going to dispute its existence?

http://anthro.palomar.edu/evolve/evolve_3.htm

http://www.gate.net/~rwms/EvoEvidence.html

forsythia_18
by on Feb. 20, 2009 at 10:18 PM

no.

What makes Christianity so special?  What about the Muslim kids?  Or the Buddhist kids?  Science class should cover scientific topics.  I'd be discusted if religion was taught in my science class.  What are we in the middle ages??

hsteele
by on Feb. 20, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Not to nitpick, but Islam and Judaism have nearly the same creation myth. There are some slight variations to the Islamic creation story, but all the 3 religions have the same origin with Abraham, (called Ibrahim in Islam) But you are right, there needs to be an inclusion of other creation myths if the christian myth is going to be discussed in school. There are so many religions out there though. I mean, the creation myths of native americans are not even included in schools, yet parents want to require that their christian myths be taught. And you cannot call creationism a theory. It is not a theory. There is no evidential support, only a religious text. I'm not saying creationism is wrong, but by definition, its a myth.

forsythia_18
by on Feb. 20, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Quoting hsteele:

Not to nitpick, but Islam and Judaism have nearly the same creation myth. There are some slight variations to the Islamic creation story, but all the 3 religions have the same origin with Abraham, (called Ibrahim in Islam) But you are right, there needs to be an inclusion of other creation myths if the christian myth is going to be discussed in school. There are so many religions out there though. I mean, the creation myths of native americans are not even included in schools, yet parents want to require that their christian myths be taught. And you cannot call creationism a theory. It is not a theory. There is no evidential support, only a religious text. I'm not saying creationism is wrong, but by definition, its a myth.

yeah, I studied the correlation between Christianity, Islam, and Judaism in college.  I was just making the point that it would be wrong to bring religion into a science class.  I'm glad you agree with me.  Evolution is a myth, but it's a science myth.  And if parents are so concerned with their kids learning evolution in school they should just tell their kids' bible study/ youth groups to talk about creationism in church.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)