Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

HPV Vaccine, Garasil, Withdrawn in Spain

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 10:54 AM
  • 16 Replies

MADRID (AFP) – Spanish health authorities have withdrawn tens of thousands of doses of a vaccine against cervical cancer after two teenagers who received the shots were hospitalised, regional authorities said on Tuesday.

A batch of nearly 76,000 doses of the human papillomavirus vaccine (HPV) was withdrawn from market, a government statement said, after two girls in the eastern Valencia region fell seriously ill hours after receiving them.

"One of the girls got out of intensive care this weekend and the other is still there. Both are in stable condition," a Valencia health department spokeswoman told AFP.

The two girls were vaccinated last week as part of a vast government vaccination programme targeting adolescents.

The vaccine prevents the most common types of HPV, a common virus spread through sexual contact that can cause cervical cancer.

Some 500,000 cases of cervical cancer are discovered each year, according to United Nations estimates, many in developing countries. If left untreated, invasive cervical cancer is almost always fatal.

Spanish health authorities said in a statement the batch of the Gardasil brand of vaccines was distributed country-wide, with some earmarked for regional vaccination programs and the rest sold at pharmacies.

The vaccine has been available for girls since 2006, ideally before their first sexual encounter.

Sweden recently announced it would offer the vaccines to all primary school girls free of charge as of 2010.

This will be an intersting development to follow. Kate Couric recently did a story on this as well. As soon as I can find a clip I'll post it.

Do you think we jumped too soon on giving our children this vaccine?

by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Junebug926
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Here is a link to a recent news clip

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Feb. 19, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Hmmm....I'm still not withdrawing my support for that vaccine. 

However...this is something to watch.  I don't support requiring all children to have it.  It should be up to each parent. 

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Feb. 19, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Hold up...isn't that article really wrong anyway...that vaccine doesn't prevent "most common" types of HPV...there are over 100 different strands, from what I remember.

I think something like 5 of those are the ones that can cause cancer....that vaccine prevents *some* of those 5...I thought. 

It wasn't a vaccine to keep you from getting HPV...it was a vaccine to try to help prevent cervical cancer. 

Hmm....time to go look stuff up. 

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Feb. 19, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Interesting...I keep finding different information.

What is consistent is that there are over 100 strands of HPV....most sites say that there are about 30 that can cause genital warts.

I've found one that says there are about 7 that can lead to cancer.

One site http://www.allentownwomenscenter.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90&Itemid=114

says that the vaccine only protects against 4 strains...but says that those 4 strains are responsible for 90% of genital warts and 70 % of cervical cancers.

Those stats seem odd...

mom2five929
by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 6:38 PM

hell i got cervical cancer after i had my kid.My obgyn told me that many young women get it after childbirth due to all the hormone changes.You dont need the shot imo.As long as you go for a routine pap smear it can be caught and treated.

dr_m
by on Feb. 20, 2009 at 10:05 AM

this is an interesting story.. i seem also to see a lot less commercials now for it  .  i wonder what will turn out to be the problem  ?  i sure hope it's not causing anything serious..

haileybeth
by New Member on Feb. 20, 2009 at 10:26 AM

I will not be getting the shot for my 5 girls, I have a serious problem with the government telling me I have to have my child get an immunization for an STD what message is that sending? I am pretty upset that they are forcing my infant to be vaxed for hep b.

ALso it kills people! to prevent a desase that with annual paps would be treated. hmm death or a leap?

Mrs.NikkiC
by Member on Feb. 20, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Good! There are so many complications including death reported after women have taken this  drug in the U.S. however  it has become more profitable to keep the drug on the market. I have never been a fan of this vaccine, in reminds me to much of the birth control given in the 60's that caused infertility in the female children concieved later... Gardasil was a rushed drug, the Federal Dumb Asses dont have a good track record when it comes to approving safe drugs, so I am proud of Spain, and would hope the US follows suit or at least reconsiders that ridiculous push to make it mandatory..

dr_m
by on Feb. 21, 2009 at 8:37 AM

I am not glad there are problems with the vaccine, but i am so glad we are discussing it, and sharing ideas, facts and opinions, instead of just rushing in to get the vaccine like so many have.. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)