Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Octuplets Mom and Gma about to Lose Home

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 11:00 AM
  • 48 Replies

Octuplets' grandmother faces foreclosure threat

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The grandmother of California's newborn octuplets faces the threat of foreclosure on the house she has shared with her daughter and six of her grandchildren, property records revealed on Wednesday.

According to a mortgage default notice filed last week with the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder's Office, Angela Suleman is more than $23,000 behind in payments on her house in the Los Angeles suburb of Whittier, an agency spokesman said.

The default notice was first made public when a copy of the document, giving Suleman three months to settle her debt in order to avoid foreclosure, was posted on the celebrity news website TMZ.com.

The papers indicate Suleman last made a payment on the three-bedroom house in May 2008 and has filed for bankruptcy.

Texas-based debt collection agency NDEx West, operating on behalf of mortgage lender IndyMac Federal Bank, declined comment and Suleman could not immediately be reached for comment.

Her daughter, Nadya, 33, jobless and receiving food stamps, drew international headlines and a torrent of public ridicule after giving birth January 26 to octuplets conceived through in vitro fertilization.

That criticism intensified when it was learned she already had six children, ages 2 to 7, that she was collecting disability checks for three of them, and that they all were living with the grandmother.

Angela Suleman also has complained publicly of the financial burden and voiced skepticism about her daughter's ability to care for 14 children.

The public backlash grew so hostile that Nadya Suleman -- dubbed "octo-mom" in the tabloid press -- went into seclusion with her six older kids last week due to death threats, according to a publicity firm hired by the family.

Spokesman Michael Furtney, whose firm has since severed ties with Suleman because of the threats, said she and her children recently moved back in with the grandmother.

Now...what was that about defending her again? 

True, this is her mother's debt...but why on earth should her mother be paying for a place for Nadia to live?

by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
caitandcarasmom
by Member on Feb. 19, 2009 at 1:18 PM

All that I can really do is laugh at the stupidity of this whole thing.  A single, jobless woman gives birth to 8 babies that she can't afford to raise and now, she's going to be homeless too.  Just lovely.  I'm sorry but my husband doesn't work his butt off to support the irresponisble likes of her!

yiayiaann
by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 1:30 PM

I AGREE WITH THE MOM THAT RESPONDED ABOVE ME...clapping

AWonderfulLife
by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 1:31 PM

We live in a society that demands no accountability.  It seems that the less responsible and ethical you are the more you are "assisted".

I'm so tired of paying my bills (on time), making sound financial decisions (for example taking on a mortgage we can handle), and cutting back on the extras that I and my family would love to indulge in and in return receiving the privilege of mopping up someone elses mess.  When will those of us who do the right thing get our bail out?

I guess our pay off is that we know we have done the ethically and morally correct thing.

It doesn't pay to play by the rules.

dragonfliesgirl
by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 1:52 PM

I soooo agree with all of you ladies!! I was reading this to my husband right now and he can't believe it! I just don't understand that the time we are in right now with this recession and she is just pushing out babies like a dog having puppies.  If you can't afford children then you shouldn't have them. I have 3 beautiful girls and one stepdaughter thank goodness right now I can be at home which I am a childcaregiver to help out with finances. we had talked before we had them 2 are 2 yrs apart and the youngest is 5 yrs younger than the other 2. We wanted more and waited til we could afford to do so. The "octo mom" has the nerve to say on the morning news show that she is going to go to school instead of getting a job and getting financial aid to pay for it. She said the her education she is pursuing will let her be able to afford them later. That is just ridiculous. I just don't know what else to say I am flabbergasted by this story!!

Christina  nerdy

mamalisa0217
by Member on Feb. 19, 2009 at 2:00 PM

all i can say is " CRAZY REDICULOUS "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hola!! I am a lovable, single, born again Christian, natural childbirth, vaccinating, pro choice, agrees with CIO, non spanking, cloth diapering, circumsizing, SAHM to three wonderful, spoiled kids.

LaNette000
by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 2:04 PM

I also agree. My husband didn't qualify for assistance through our state after being in a wreck, due to no fault of his own, nearly died from neck injuries and has a 6 inch titanium plate in his neck and still get turns down for partial disability. WTH, it makes me furious how so many abuse the system. Shame on Nadya and her fertility DR.

lucy23794
by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 2:05 PM

huh. i heard the mom got a free house.

canthaveboys1
by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 2:10 PM

I am so tired of hearing about this greedy woman that has lost whatever common sense that she had. This situation is sad for those poor babies and she is wrong to expect the government to pay it and for the companies to give her handouts. If she didnt want to be ridiculed than she should have not gotten involved with the media. Further more she was paid for that interview on dateline.....paid a damn good chunk of change what is wrong with her that she cant help her mother save the house she lives in for free and the house that her 14 children live in for free. Now they are going to suffer because their mom is an idiot. It pisses me off that her mother was taking care of her 6 kids and now she brings home 8 more what the hell is wrong with her. I hope she reads this and if she does why dont you try using your head..........thats the lump 2 feet above your @$$! 

Canthaveboys1
friendlymom5
by Member on Feb. 19, 2009 at 2:14 PM

People can blame and judge until they are blue in the face, but come on! Can anyone see that someone has to help! How can people hold so much anger without being her, in her head, her heart. Mistakes aside I bet every person who is so angered at this woman would gladly go plant a tree to save the enviorment. She is a human being. I am praying for them ALL. They don't deseve to be homeless anymore than all the people who have made sound decisions all thier life and planned it all out. This isn't normal, most likely she has some strong religious beliefs or pyschological problems but everyone is to angry to care.

Esmrlda
by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 2:18 PM

I think she is going to get a free ride all the way. I think that people in the nation are all going to chip in and help pay the mortgage so they wont lose their house. I also heard that they are thinking of making a movie of her life. She's going to rake it in with all the attention she's getting. I wouldnt be surprised if she did get a free house and clothes and furniture for the babies.  I agree, where is the accountability.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN