Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

7 Deadly Sins, Revised?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2009 at 6:23 AM
  • 87 Replies

Do you agree with the list of 7 deadly sins?  Do you believe in sin at all?  Want to share any deadly sins you are guilty of?

Vatican Adds Seven New Deadly Sins Including Damaging Environment and Drug Dealing

ROME -  Drug pushers, the obscenely rich, environmental polluters and "manipulative" genetic scientists beware - you may be in danger of losing your mortal soul unless you repent.

After 1,500 years the Vatican has brought the seven deadly sins up to date by adding seven new ones for the age of globalization. The list, published yesterday in L'Osservatore Romano, the Vatican newspaper, came as the Pope deplored the "decreasing sense of sin" in today's "secularized world" and the falling numbers of Roman Catholics going to confession.

The new deadly sins include polluting, genetic engineering, being obscenely rich, drug dealing, abortion, pedophilia and causing social injustice.

The Catholic Church divides sins into venial, or less serious, sins and mortal sins, which threaten the soul with eternal damnation unless absolved before death through confession and penitence.

It holds mortal sins to be "grave violations of the Ten Commandments and the Beatitudes," including murder, contraception, abortion, perjury, adultery and lust.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church states that "immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into Hell."

Although there is no definitive list of mortal sins, many believers accept the broad seven deadly sins or capital vices laid down in the 6th century by Pope Gregory the Great and popularized in the Middle Ages by Dante in "The Inferno": lust, gluttony, avarice, sloth, anger, envy and pride.

Christians are exhorted instead to adhere to the seven holy virtues: chastity, abstinence, temperance, diligence, patience, kindness and humility.

Bishop Gianfranco Girotti, head of the Apostolic Penitentiary, the Vatican body which oversees confessions and plenary indulgences, said after a week-long Lenten seminar for priests that surveys showed 60 percent of Catholics in Italy no longer went to confession.

He said that priests must take account of "new sins which have appeared on the horizon of humanity as a corollary of the unstoppable process of globalization." Whereas sin in the past was thought of as being an individual matter, it now has "social resonance."

"You offend God not only by stealing, blaspheming or coveting your neighbor's wife, but also by ruining the environment, carrying out morally debatable scientific experiments, or allowing genetic manipulations which alter DNA or compromise embryos," he said.

Bishop Girotti said that mortal sins also included taking or dealing in drugs, and social injustice which caused poverty or "the excessive accumulation of wealth by a few."

He said that two mortal sins which continued to preoccupy the Vatican were abortion, which offended "the dignity and rights of women," and pedophilia, which had even infected the clergy itself and so had exposed the "human and institutional fragility of the Church."

The mass media had "blown up" the issue "to discredit the Church," but the Church itself was taking steps to deal with it, according to Girotti.

Addressing the Apostolic Penitentiary seminar, the Pope said there was "a certain disaffection" with confession among the faithful. Priests had to show "divine tenderness for penitent sinners" and admit their own failings.

"Those who trust in themselves and in their own merits are, as it were, blinded by their own ‘I', and their hearts harden in sin. Those who recognize themselves as weak and sinful entrust themselves to God, and from Him obtain grace and forgiveness."

The Pope also complained that an increasing number of people in the secularized West were "making do without God."

He said that hedonism and consumerism had even invaded "the bosom of the Church itself, deeply undermining the Christian faith from within, and undermining the lifestyle and daily behavior of believers."

Eastern Catholics do not recognize the same distinction between mortal and venial sins as the Western or Latin Church does, nor do they believe that those people who die in a state of sin are condemned to automatic damnation.

You can read more about this topic on the Daily Buzz: Vatican Says Men Women Sin Differently

by on Feb. 20, 2009 at 6:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Junebug926
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2009 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I find humor in the whole thing. A sin is a sin is a sin. No where in the Bible does it say one sin is worse than they other.

admckenzie
by New Member on Feb. 20, 2009 at 9:33 AM
2 moms liked this

Looks like heaven's not going to be crowded if these are the rules. Doesn't the Bible say not to add to it? Isn't that what these ppl are doing by adding sins? Just a question....what was the point of Jesus going through all he went through if we are still held accountable for all the sins of the Old Testament anyway? I thought the New Testament brought about a change and that the only thing as sinners we had to do to get to Heaven was to believe in God as our Lord and Master and that Jesus was his son and the way to Heaven. We still sin but a simple act of asking for forgiveness in Jesus name still gets us into the Pearly Gates, imo.

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Feb. 20, 2009 at 9:46 AM
4 moms liked this

Thank goodness for the Vatican.  My moral compass would surely be heading South if not for them.  ; ) 

Sherri
dr_m
by on Feb. 20, 2009 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

i saw a special on the original  deadly sins, like gluttony..  It made me feel guilty for eating or drinking.  

Wiifeytype1025
by Member on Feb. 20, 2009 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I think its ridiculous - those are all covered by the other sins.... which are very general. What's the point?!

cmarielin
by on Feb. 20, 2009 at 10:24 AM

I do believe there is such a thing as sin.  I do believe in right and wrong, and I also think that some things we do are worse than others. 

I'm not Catholic, but I was as a child.  (I'm a protestant Christian now.) 

I will take this news article with a grain of salt though, because it's talking about "new sins" the Vatican listed, but I don't see a link to the actual speeches or documents from the Catholic church about the new sins.  I don't know if they have it on a website or not.  In other words, I guess I'd like to hear it straight from the horse's mouth before I decide how I feel about it.

Did the Vatican have scripture to back up their new claims?  Maybe they did, maybe they didn't.  I mean, some things are obviously sin, some things just aren't a good idea, and other things kind of depend.

polluting - well, I know it isn't a good thing.  is there a scripture reference, though, to call it a "sin?"  I'll look in Proverbs - if there is one, it's most likely to be there.

genetic engineering - again - I'll check Proverbs, but at the moment, I'm not sure.

being obscenely rich - this would depend on how the person got rich.  Some obscenely rich people actually do a lot of good with their riches - but the media won't go there for obvious reasons.

drug dealing - you see, this didn't take place in the days of the Bible.  Do I think drug dealers are some of Satan's best instruments?  Absolutely, yes.

abortion - is murder, so it's sin - unless the physical life of the mother is at great risk, then it might be self defense.

pedophilia - is adultery, which is a sin.

and causing social injustice - is a sin.  That I know is in proverbs.

Again - maybe they had some scripture references to back up their claims, and I could only hope they did.  Anyhoo, there's my two cents.

rlemde
by on Feb. 20, 2009 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

New sins huh? Huh.  

polluting- They did it back then. We're a dirty species.

genetic engineering- Psh. Who's morals? The churche's? Whatever.

being obscenely rich- Hehehehee. The Church is going to hell with that one. 

drug dealing- What about opium in the past? Is there a statute somewhere that keeps those excempt? Or do they go to hell now if they made it to heaven on the old sins terms?

abortion- I'm leaving this one alone.

pedophilia- Think this one is more specific than the other sin. I don't think it should have been changed. 

and causing social injustice- What the hell does this mean??? I think this one's my favorite one. Does it mean if I piss off the mayor I'm going to hell?

lucy23794
by on Feb. 20, 2009 at 10:40 AM

all we have to do is confess. then our sins are gone. :)

tvschiulaz
by on Feb. 20, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Holy Smokes Batman!  I hope that this does not extend the religion classes when she begins those for confirmation next year.  Communion is this year, so I doubt the books have been written yet.

WOW!!!!  Talk about the church making progress.  Kudos to them.

suite_lady
by Member on Feb. 20, 2009 at 2:32 PM

The Vatican should stop trying to be God. 

The bible doesn't need any addendums.

DancingBettyBoop.gif Dancing Betty Boop image by mtnterry

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)