Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would you say something or mind your business?

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2009 at 11:55 AM
  • 46 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you confront a woman who is visibly pregnant and visibly drinking?

Options:

For sure

No, not my problem

No, but I'd say something to the bartender/host

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 108

View Results

Saw an interesting post about a visibly pregnant woman drinking in public and an ensuing confrontation by another mom who noticed.  Would you say something?  Or, do you feel that it's up to the establishment/host to take action?

Are there laws in your area that ban pregnant women from being served at bars?  

by on Feb. 21, 2009 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
forsythia_18
by on Feb. 21, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Some people are ok with drinking a little while they're pregnant.  I don't but there are some that do.  My doc said it's fine occasionally and if it's just a little bit.  I'm not going to get my panties all up in a bunch if I see someone pregnant sipping on wine at a restaurant. 

dlb99
by Member on Feb. 21, 2009 at 11:59 AM
I never did and wouldn't but if I saw someone, I would just mind my own business!
lucy23794
by on Feb. 21, 2009 at 12:03 PM

it depends what she's drinking and how much. if she's getting wasted, and no one is doing anything about it, i would complain to the manager or something. but if she's having like a simple glass of wine, and being mature about it, then yea i would ignore it.

my2boyz117
by Member on Feb. 21, 2009 at 12:20 PM

I have been to a local club/bar here and more than once I saw visibly pregnant girls drinking alcohol, I was thinking how cool they looked and what a great parent they'll make,  but I didn't say anything, it's their choice, and I imagine the bartender saw her belly,  she seemed toward the end of her pregnancy,,,, I don't think they can refuse to serve a pregnant woman, what is the bartender going to do? 

This wasn't wine she was sipping (which actually in small amounts while prgnt isn't bad) she was throwing back Mike's Hard Lemonade's. 

Da1nOnlyDestiny
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2009 at 12:24 PM

i would tell her off and tell off the bartender. in my area you can go into a local club or bar while pregnant but they will not serve you liquor.

tvschiulaz
by on Feb. 21, 2009 at 12:46 PM

I would ask the woman if she gave any thought to the fetus, while indulging in a few drinks.  Not for nothing, but I know I did everything right and I ended up with a special needs child.  Women who do all the wrong things, end up with healthy kids.  Go figure...It just makes me burn!

LauraSladicka
by Member on Feb. 21, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Mind my own business. As much as I would want to literally smack some sense in to her, it is not my place.

But, the bar/restaurant does have the right to refuse service. And in most states, the person serving the alcohol is held liable if anything were to happen to the patron once they left the establishment. So the bartender/server should keep that in mind. Heaven for bid she got into an accident once she left there and her or her baby were injured/killed, the bartender can be held liable for serving her. 

Most docs will say an occasional glass of wine in the third trimester is ok. I personally did not drink a drop while I was pregnant and breast feeding. What if my baby was born with something wrong with him? The guilt would be too much.

KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2009 at 1:05 PM

As pathetic as that would look to me, I would not confront her. It's not my business, and I am not going to risk some dumb confrontation.  

Kairi snowgirl

rlemde
by on Feb. 21, 2009 at 1:09 PM

I know that quite a few pregnant go in to bars hanging out with friends, but I think if they're served something fruity or whatever it's virgin. Our bars HAVE gone downhill of what I've heard though...I voted not for me to confront--I wouldn't want to be confronted by someone thinking I was being wrong- it's none of their business! (Even if it is a pregnant woman drinking). It could've easily been JUST a soda. 

Mrs.NikkiC
by Member on Feb. 21, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Mind my own business!!! For two reasons:

1) Assuming it is an alcoholic beverage is presumptuous, I drank virgin drinks that look just like the alcholic versions while pregnant as well as apple juice and sparkeling cidar in wine or champaign glasses..

2) If she is stumbling drunk, I would assume she needs a friend more than a lecture. Confronting her would only make matters worst, becoming a new friend may be more effective.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN