Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should new Sen Roland Burris resign ?

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2009 at 8:40 AM
  • 3 Replies

Burris was picked by the former Ill. Gov Blagojevich to fill Barack Obama's vacated senate seat...  however this is surrounded by controversy, as it was rumored that the Governor was trying to sell the seat !   Burris has changed his story..   he originally said under oath he did not engage in any campaign raising, or etc.. then said he did agree to try to raise money. Did he lie under oath ?  

Assoc. Press.

CHICAGO – Federal authorities interviewed U.S. Sen. Roland Burris on Saturday as they continued their corruption investigation of former Gov. Rod Blagojevich, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Burris, who left his home for several hours Saturday, declined to talk to reporters standing outside. Earlier in the week, he said federal investigators wanted to talk to him about their probe into Blagojevich. Burris said his attorneys had been trying to set up a meeting with investigators for some time.

Blagojevich was arrested Dec. 9 on federal corruption charges, including allegations that he tried to sell or trade President Barack Obama's vacant U.S. Senate seat for money or favors. He shocked everyone by naming Burris to the seat Dec. 30.

Blagojevich, who has denied any wrongdoing, was impeached by the Illinois House on Jan. 9. Weeks later, he was convicted and removed from office by the Illinois Senate.

Burris testified before the Illinois House committee that recommended Blagojevich's impeachment that he hadn't contacted key Blagojevich staffers or offered anything in return for the Senate seat.

However, earlier this month, Burris released an affidavit saying he had spoken to several Blagojevich advisers, including the former governor's brother and finance chairman, who Burris said called three times last fall asking for fundraising help.

Burris, who has denied wrongdoing, has said he will cooperate in any investigation.

Meanwhile, a number of Democrats, including Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn, have called for Burris' resignation, while the White House urged the senator to take the weekend to consider his future.

The Sangamon County state's attorney's office, which has transcripts of Burris' testimony before the impeachment committee, has said it is determining if a perjury investigation is warranted. Also, the U.S. Senate Ethics Committee has launched a preliminary investigation to determine whether to pursue the matter

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090222/ap_on_re_us/burris_blagojevich;_ylt=Al.OonxHAbbjXcCH7yn5ltJI2ocA

by on Feb. 22, 2009 at 8:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Jodeth
by on Feb. 22, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Personally, it seems like politics as usual.   It is not that I care about this guy being forced to resign as much as I care that these bozos in D.C. just cannot seem to pull their heads out of their collective butt.  Stop acting like teenagers in high school and actually fix this country!

dr_m
by on Feb. 23, 2009 at 11:37 AM

If someone agreed to "raise money" for the governor he needed to appoint him as senator, it's like "buying" the seat, and then perhaps lying about it under oath..  that's not politics as usual to me.. 

no one is "above the law"  ..  not even the usual politicians...

sillymom3
by on Feb. 23, 2009 at 11:41 AM

I don't know the first thing about the guy, he has made really no public attempt to tell us the citizens of Illinois what he plans to do, what his stance is on certain issues, nothing....it's like he is a stranger, much like our new governor, who I didn't know from Adam....we just moved back to Illinois after being gone for nearly 6 years. I think they need to do something but what that is, I don't know....all of a sudden (or maybe I am just noticing) Illinois is so secretive, they wont even release their "Wish Lists" for the stimulus money in Chicago...it's really sad, that we have no idea where that money will be going until it's already been spent.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN