Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hey Sister

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2009 at 10:21 AM
  • 11 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you encourage your daughter to join one?

Options:

Absolutely, I was in one and proud of my letters

Maybe, she'd have to convince me though

No way, I see nothing but trouble

No way, I want her to make friends on her own

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 39

View Results

Yet again, there is another story on a coed who suffered from alcohol poisoning while pledging a sorority.  Chapters flaunt their community service records and 'displays' of sisterhood to prospective pledges.  However, despite the good intentions, let's face it, the majority of students go Greek because they want to party.  And yes, hazing is still widespread and part of the process.  What's your take - does the good outweigh the bad?

by on Feb. 22, 2009 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dr_m
by on Feb. 23, 2009 at 12:14 PM

I never liked the hazing stuff, but some people are gung ho about their sororities and fraternities..  i really think the bad is just not acceptable...

canthaveboys1
by on Feb. 23, 2009 at 12:19 PM

There has been too many senseless deaths due to hazing, not only would I say no but I would forbid it. I will not lose my baby to a drunken disaster! 

Canthaveboys1
CharmaineL
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2009 at 12:25 PM

I was in one and granted it was a lot of fun, but by the time I was a junior, I had grown tired of it. Hazing is definitely part of it, but you do always have the option to walk away. Though it is hard when you're an impressionable freshman. My daughter would have to convince me, lol, as we'd be the ones paying the dues!

Esmrlda
by on Feb. 23, 2009 at 2:53 PM

My DD17 is so Anachism anyway. She would never want to be with those types of Sheeple.

CharmaineL
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Quoting Esmrlda:

My DD17 is so Anachism anyway. She would never want to be with those types of Sheeple.

'Sheeple' - never heard that one before, love it!

BooBooCat
by on Feb. 23, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Quoting Esmrlda:

"Anachism" "Sheeple"

What do these words mean.I cannot seem to locate them in my dictionary. Please?

BooBooCat

Esmrlda
by on Feb. 23, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Im sorry, I was in a hurry. Anarchism. I originally left out the R.

Anarchism is a political philosophy encompassing theories and attitudes which consider compulsory government unnecessary, harmful, or undesirable.[ 

Sheeple is a term of disparagement, a portmanteau created by combining the words "sheep" and "people."

It is often used to denote persons who voluntarily acquiesce to a perceived authority, or suggestion without sufficient research to fully understand the scope of the ramifications involved in that decision, and thus undermine their own human individuality or in other cases give up certain rights. The implication of sheeple is that as a collective, people believe whatever they are told, especially if told so by a perceived authority figure believed to be trustworthy, without processing it or doing adequate research to be sure that it is an accurate representation of the real world around them. The term is generally used in a political and sometimes in a religious sense.

JJTaylor
by Member on Feb. 23, 2009 at 7:01 PM

If my daughter chooses a 4 year college initially and is hell bent on going out for a sorority, I am not sure honestly how I would feel about it.  If I had to answer right now... I guess I would say no, no I would not want her to join one.  But, that's because I am not certain I believe in what they stand for... and it has nothing to do with the drinking and shame and hazing crap that it takes to get into one of them in the first place.  It has more to do with how they treat students that do not belong and how they act as if they are the "IT"; much like their poo don't stink... (so to speak). 

I would like to hope that my daughter would be confident enough in herself to know she doesn't need this kind of group in order to make her college years the "best" they can be. 

By the way... the groups for the boys are also just as bad, if not worse then the girls'. 

CharmaineL
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Quoting JJTaylor:

If my daughter chooses a 4 year college initially and is hell bent on going out for a sorority, I am not sure honestly how I would feel about it.  If I had to answer right now... I guess I would say no, no I would not want her to join one.  But, that's because I am not certain I believe in what they stand for... and it has nothing to do with the drinking and shame and hazing crap that it takes to get into one of them in the first place.  It has more to do with how they treat students that do not belong and how they act as if they are the "IT"; much like their poo don't stink... (so to speak). 

I would like to hope that my daughter would be confident enough in herself to know she doesn't need this kind of group in order to make her college years the "best" they can be. 

By the way... the groups for the boys are also just as bad, if not worse then the girls'. 

Yep, the boys are definitely worse. From what I remember while pledging, hazing for us girls was more psychological whereas for boys, it was more physical/antics, e.g. proving their strength by drinking x amount of shots or running around on campus in boxers in the freezing cold. 

spicymama.sc
by New Member on Feb. 24, 2009 at 10:35 AM

not all chapters conduct in hazing...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)