Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Today's Hot Topic (2/24): Child Harnesses - What do you think? OK or Not?

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 12:41 AM
  • 78 Replies

Some people are against using child harnesses while others feel that they are very useful.

Some of them are cute and fun for kids to wear. 

This one is sold at Walmart.

Goldbug - 2-in-1 Monkey Child Safety Harness 

What do you think?  Would you use a child harness?   Live and let live?

by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 12:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof8gmaof2
by New Member on Feb. 24, 2009 at 12:44 AM
I do not personally use one I control my kids pretty good when out.I believe for safety reasons if you have a child that wonders alot you should use one better safe then sorry.
army_wife_mommy
by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 2:04 AM

I have the one in the photo above. I have yet to use it but dd1 is starting to hate being in the double stroller. And I don't blame her, she has to sit in the car, then immediatly after she gets out of the car sit in the stroller for however long we are out and about. I did however have her out of the stroller today while at the portrait studio and she took off like she had someplace to go. LOL. I was there alone, dh is out of town. So I think I will have to whip out the harness the next time I have to go someplace alone with both kids. I would only use it when I'm by myself. It's no problem when dh and I are both there to keep her with us. We each get one kid to take care of! But it's hard to push a cart/stroller while holding a 2yo's hand. I don't want dd1 to be stuck in a stroller the whole time, she's 2yo and likes to walk but I don't want to risk her running off and some sick-o getting her. I would rather get rude stares than lose my baby girl. 

preview imagepreview image

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphicsExtendedRocks.gif

hsteele
by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 3:00 AM

I have one like the picture, but its a puppy. My daughter loves it, and so do I. Before I had a toddler I thought they were horrible. I was never going to have one, my daugther was not a dog. But when you are walking through a crowded airport, or Sea World...you want to make sure you will not get separated from your children. My daughter is fast, much faster than I am. In todays social climate it is unfortunate the number of predators waiting to snatch up your kids.

luchousdiva
by Member on Feb. 24, 2009 at 7:40 AM

I think that they are ok if they are being used for the safety of the child.  Some kids hate to sit in the strollers like the other momma said and they want to walk, but little kids want to wander around and it is dangerous.  So I don't see anything wrong with them. 

aidansmommy961
by Member on Feb. 24, 2009 at 7:47 AM

Here is my opinion, a disclaimer is that I don't want to offend those of you who use them.

I am strongly opposed to child harnesses. I understand that children can get away but there are other ways to keep your child in tow as opposed to, for lack of a better term, putting them on a leash. I know some children don't like stollers but they are a much better option. Besides, parenting means sometimes doing things your children don't like to keep them safe. I especially think the harnesses with cute teddy bear or puppy dog designs are worse because they put a smiley face on what some people (myself included) would consider abuse. As a matter of fact, my husband and I were in the mall last weekend and saw a child with one of these. I actually started crying a little because I felt so bad for her and had to restrain the urge to ask the father if he would want to walk around the mall on a leash?

athenax3
by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 7:52 AM

This has got to be one of the dumbest arguments I've ever read and it crops up from time to time here. I'm always compelled to look at it as I'm amazed at the passion and conviction people find the energy to put into such a trivial detail that works for one parent and not another. Do you find yourselves irate when you see a kid wearing a purple shirt because you hate purple? Do you berate the parent that feeds their kids peas because they disgust you? What about those damn crocs, I hate those things and every time I see a kid wearing them I want to cry for his mothers lack of respect for his right not to look ridiculous!! lol

I don't use a leash, I could not possibly care one iota less if you did.

critter_boo
by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 7:54 AM

depends i dont use one for everyday stuff. but i do have one for skiing. it helps my so keep them from falling on thir skis. but i will not use one other than that

IdaKaye
by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 8:08 AM

I never know why anyone dislikes them.  They are just another safety device, like child proof locks, high chair belts, etc.

BlueDolphins3
by Member on Feb. 24, 2009 at 8:08 AM

I'm all for it. That's one less child on the missing persons listings.

dlb99
by Member on Feb. 24, 2009 at 8:14 AM
Sorry, I really do not mean to offend anyone, but I do not consider this this a current event nor a "HOT" topic. (just my opinion) I am sure some of you feel otherwise. I think if you have to question whether you are doing the right thing, then maybe you are not.

I think there are more important things going on in this country right now that we should be worried about.

I find it incredibly disturbing that sooo many individuals are naive to "important" issues that WILL affect you and your families on a much larger scale.

If everyone just took 10 minutes out of their busy days and clicked on the Drudge report or one of the news links each morning, you would be amazed at what you find. I am not talking about local news. Check out the national news. Check out things like FEMA camps, Martial Law, or most importantly www.JBS.org

Then there would be some "HOT" topics that I think may spark some interests and opinions!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN