Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

California MAY Legalize Marijuana..... Your Thoughts?

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 2:15 PM
  • 107 Replies

Last Update: 2/23 1:47 pm

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A state legislator is reviving the debate about legalizing marijuana as a way of raising money for cash-strapped state and local governments.

Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, a San Francisco Democrat, introduced a bill Monday that if approved by the California Legislature would put pot on the same legal footing as alcohol. Adults over the age of 21 would be allowed to buy it, and driving under the influence of marijuana would be prohibited.

Under Ammiano's proposal, which has been endorsed by some law enforcement officials, pot would be taxed at a rate of $50 per ounce and bring an estimated $1 billion into state coffers.

In 1996, California became the first state to legalize medical marijuana.

©2009 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

4382.gif picture by taratalnenetz
by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Esmrlda
by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Yup, leave it to my home state to be pushing that envelope.....again. Cali is soooo strict on alot of things and are the pioneers when it come to certain laws then they throw in this curve ball every once in a while. No, you cant spank your kids under 4 by law but hey just get stoned and it will all work out!  No worries Mon.   I dont care either way, I dont think it is terribly wrong. In some cases I think alcohol is a much harsher drug. I would rather have more love, peace and mellowed out people than raging aggitated blinding alcoholics.    Also I have to add that I am a die hard Reggae fan. All the Reggae concerts I have been to there has never been a fight or confrontation. The attitude is One Love. If I go to a Metal or hard rock concert where there are heavy drinkers, there is always a mosh pit and a fight.

aajsluckymommy
by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 2:56 PM

i wish i had the money to move to cali

Jodeth
by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 3:17 PM

I am against this, and I do think it is worse than alcohol but for a good reason.  I am not going to get high smelling the alcohol fumes radiating from someone's margarita.   But I will get high if I am forced to breathe the same air as a lit doobie (sp?).

Why should the rest of the public be put in such a position?  Would you want someone smoking pot next to your kid?

I just don't see how this would work.  If the politicians are just going after the almighty buck, then why not legalize prostitution and take a cut.  Geez.

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2009 at 3:38 PM

I think it is wonderful!  I am proud to be a born and raised Californian and while I do not believe this will go through, I am proud to be in one of the only states in the union to have the balls to think outside the box during this crisis. 

EnigmaMuse
by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 4:26 PM

I hope they do, and that Oregon will finally do it as well.

Here in Oregon, we have legal medical marijuana, personal possession of less than one ounce is a misdeomener infraction that  is punishable by a fine.

I do not smoke. Haven't since college many years ago. However. I feel my state wastes and extraordinary amount of money prosecuting marjuana crimes. It's money that could be used for far more productive things in my opinion.

I believe marijuana should be legal or decriminalized with the same basic laws as other substances ( like alcohol): no driving while high, no sale to minors, and so on. Just like alcohol if someone does something stupid while high like: breaking and entering, assualt (which is rare with pot smokers.lol), crimes against person or properity and so on: Those crimes should be prosecuted.

I do not believe that recreational use of marijuana in and of itself to be something that should be punishable by law. Again, laws against property or person while high...Crime committed should be prosecuted. Personal, responsible, recreational use no more a crime than someone using alcohol in the same scenerio.

jzsgrandma
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2009 at 4:57 PM

People are buying and smoking weather we like it or not. We just don't get the revenue from it. We have decided that we would rather spend the money to fight the battle that we cant win. How silly!!! It isn't half the evil that alcohol is and look what we make off that. There is a stigma to pot and usually the people who object the most to the use, know the least about it!!

forsythia_18
by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 5:10 PM

clappingI hope the whole country legalizes it!!!  Marijuana may even end up being one of the things that carries us out of the recession. 

TawnyR
by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Well said. What are they going to do when people start lighting up in their apartments and get the neighbor kids high.

Quoting Jodeth:

I am against this, and I do think it is worse than alcohol but for a good reason.  I am not going to get high smelling the alcohol fumes radiating from someone's margarita.   But I will get high if I am forced to breathe the same air as a lit doobie (sp?).

Why should the rest of the public be put in such a position?  Would you want someone smoking pot next to your kid?

I just don't see how this would work.  If the politicians are just going after the almighty buck, then why not legalize prostitution and take a cut.  Geez.

treadmillappledancing

forsythia_18
by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Quoting TawnyR:

Well said. What are they going to do when people start lighting up in their apartments and get the neighbor kids high.

Quoting Jodeth:

Why not have the "cafe shops" that they have in Amsterdam???  They'll have designated places to smoke.

You can also smoke through a special bong that vaporizes the marijuana so it isn't smoke.  You can't get high being around someone who is doing that.  

KC33
by Kim on Feb. 24, 2009 at 5:30 PM

It's about damn time!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured