Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

to fix our crisis why dont we do this?

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 10:03 PM
  • 21 Replies

Now far be it from me to know anything about politics or money.  I'm a nurse and havent got a clue.  But I say why wont this work?  If we start to move from our current cars to cars run on natural gas with the intent of having  say like 90% compliance in say 15 years doesnt that put  all the car companies to work? create a new industry (or at least enlarge by a lot) the "drilling" for natural gas industry while also decreasing to the point of not needed our reliance on foregin oil?  I mean it puts A LOT of people back to work in old and new jobs...and then while we are going in that direction when we get to say 50% compliance start looking heavily into things like solar and wind to power the next generation??

ok I get the "its expensive" thing.  but the bottom line is that everyone who has a gasoline car will eventually have a dead gasoline car they don't run forever??  So no one is saying take the old ones off the road  we're just saying dont make the old ons anymore.... sort of like the transition from 8track to MP3  on a larger scale.  And I dont know about anyone else but when I need more $ for something a work more.. get a second job  do some OT whatever necessary to meet the need.  The bail out plan I think stinks.

by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JJTaylor
by Member on Feb. 24, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Hey, I'm with you... I think regardless if you believe the Earth's Ozone is being depleted or not we need to start changing to a better and more "green" living philosophy...

that being said... the major auto companies (the 3 big ones especially) will never change to greener running cars of any kind until they are forced to do so.  They own and have themselves waste deep in the oil companies... I mean seriously they scratch each others backs way too much!  Besides gasoline, there is oil, tires, grease, much of our automobiles are covered in some form of oil products!  It would not behoove the auto companies to go green even if it seems Americans and most of the World population is wanting them more then we use to. 

Before my time (born in 1972) there was a man in the late 1960's that invented/created a carburetor that could make ANY car run for more then 100+ miles per gallon... yes per gallon.  The auto makers especially during that era fought hard to stop this man and succeeded.  I wish I knew the name or specifics, my father is a serious auto buff and is a walking encyclopedia of facts regarding things of that nature, he has told me this many times.  In the late 1970's and early 1980's Honda, when they were relatively new to this country had pure electric cars and very few were even considered or sold... but they were cars that virtually had little or no repair issues.  There have been throughout the lifetime of car/auto inventions and creations people that have tried several times to unsuccessfully introduce many alternative examples of green cars of many kinds...

I live in the Pacific Northwest, in Washington state, currently Washington and Oregon have hundreds of acres specially in the eastern sides of the states producing clean wind power.  In fact there is a local, long time famous fast food restaurant that has been running all their facilities on wind power for over 5+ years!!  They are also using local farmers for all their produce, beef, chicken, etc., plus they also use all recyclable products right down to the plastic they use that is made from corn and dissolves after a couple years in the landfills.

dr_m
by on Feb. 25, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Don't know alot about the details myself, but sounds like a good idea, or pushing on hybrids and totally electric, (like a golf cart !)  which you could charge at home, hopefully using all the new wind mills that will be set up over the ocean, and the solar panel on your roof, etc...

Also, new, very fast trains, are an exciting idea for travel.. can't wait..  Europe and i guess even china have been way ahead of us....

dr_m
by on Feb. 25, 2009 at 10:51 AM

hey, this could be a GREAT place to brainstorm, and share our research, then write to our senators and congressman !!!

lightbulb

canthaveboys1
by on Feb. 25, 2009 at 10:52 AM

I think we as the public and tax payers have been getting the short end of the stick for far too long. I dont want to pay with my hard earned money for whatever in the hell the government thinks is a good idea at the time. Usually it ends up it was a not so much a good idea than we are in debt further and have to go through the bailout! 

Canthaveboys1
momof1wildchild
by on Feb. 25, 2009 at 10:59 AM

While I think owning a hybrid vehicle/going green, is a smart move (we're currently browsing some ourselves), I don't see that many can jump on the bandwagon, any time soon...what with all the jobs people have lost, the ones that are being sent to Mexico, plants shutting down, and so on..

The present state of the economy must be fixed, before large droves of people can go car shopping. There are a lot of people in this country right now, who can't even feed their families 3 squared meals a day.

Car manufacturers can make the cars, but can people afford the payments/get financing? I think that with the way things are, the cars would sit on the parking lots/showrooms, and more money/jobs would be lost.

dr_m
by on Feb. 25, 2009 at 11:06 AM

true, in general ppl cannot now afford a new car, but it would certainly be great to stop making any more gasoline cars...  so over a few years there will at least be electric ones on the lots...

humanjunglegym
by on Feb. 25, 2009 at 11:12 AM

I think it would be awesome for all NEW cars to move in that direction.  To expect people to go buy a new car that meets the regulations isn't feasible.  People can't afford that.  Plus, throwing out all old cars just because of the type of fuel they use and making new ones to replace them in NOT environmentally friendly or economical.

jessi311
by on Feb. 25, 2009 at 12:22 PM

This would be a great idea, I have another:

Stop bailing out banks, mortgage companies and auto manufacturers.  Giving them money is going to help them for now but it's not going to help them in the long run.  The plain fact that we as Americans do not have money ourselves!  Instead of passing out money to all of these companies, give it to the PEOPLE!  Instead of bailing out GM (whose presidents all own several jets) split the money throughout the American families, say, 15,000 for each family.  Therefore if I need it to pay my mortgage, I can and the mortgage company is saved.  If I want to buy a new car I can, and the automobile industry is saved.  If I still have plenty of money because I haven't lost my job yet, I can put it in my savings account and we'll help out another bank.  Don't give the money to the companies, give it to the people.  The PEOPLE can then choose where their priorities are and the money in their hands will stimulate the economy.

LaNette000
by on Feb. 25, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Many men in my family depend on the oil drilling business, for their paycheck. Sorry, but not all of us can afford to switch over that easily or that quickly!

I would love for the government to cut all those tax dollars, let the low income to middle class keep their pay, that way we can boost the economy if we wanted to buy things we are in desperate need for. Like we could use a second car, but can't afford such items. Give the people their money now!!!

..JessIca..
by Member on Feb. 25, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Sounds good... So are you going to be the one to buy everyone these new cars, because I can barely afford the bucket I have now let alone a natural gas one!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN