Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

to fix our crisis why dont we do this?

Posted by   + Show Post

Now far be it from me to know anything about politics or money.  I'm a nurse and havent got a clue.  But I say why wont this work?  If we start to move from our current cars to cars run on natural gas with the intent of having  say like 90% compliance in say 15 years doesnt that put  all the car companies to work? create a new industry (or at least enlarge by a lot) the "drilling" for natural gas industry while also decreasing to the point of not needed our reliance on foregin oil?  I mean it puts A LOT of people back to work in old and new jobs...and then while we are going in that direction when we get to say 50% compliance start looking heavily into things like solar and wind to power the next generation??

ok I get the "its expensive" thing.  but the bottom line is that everyone who has a gasoline car will eventually have a dead gasoline car they don't run forever??  So no one is saying take the old ones off the road  we're just saying dont make the old ons anymore.... sort of like the transition from 8track to MP3  on a larger scale.  And I dont know about anyone else but when I need more $ for something a work more.. get a second job  do some OT whatever necessary to meet the need.  The bail out plan I think stinks.

by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 10:03 PM
Replies (11-20):
maurel80
by Member on Feb. 25, 2009 at 12:35 PM

This is pretty much my train of thought also. The way I see it is, like you said, people can't afford the vehicles being made now...how can they afford something that might..might..cost more money to build? On that note, the whole bailout thing....I personally think they're going about it the wrong. You (the government) can shell out all the money they have to these big company's all they want. Sure, it will get them out of the hole for a little while BUT, if the average consumer can't afford the products being made, wont that mean that the companies are just going to fall right back in a finacial hole again? So, why not give everyone (yes everyone when you consider the billions of dollars the government is giving the companies) around say...$250,000 EACH FAMILY. Then, the people will feel as though they've actually got enough to do something with. Most could pay off their homes..this helps the banks, pay off their vehicles...this helps the auto and loan companies...then, they could spend the rest on NEW vehicles..etc...therefore helping the economy. The stimulus checks they've been handing out families isn't enough for anyone to feel comfortable putting back into the economy so they pay off little bills here and there, buy groceries, put it in savings..etc. So, I say stop shelling out money to the companies and give to the consumer so they can actually AFFORD to put it back into the econemy.

See what I'm saying? lol

Quoting momof1wildchild:

While I think owning a hybrid vehicle/going green, is a smart move (we're currently browsing some ourselves), I don't see that many can jump on the bandwagon, any time soon...what with all the jobs people have lost, the ones that are being sent to Mexico, plants shutting down, and so on..

The present state of the economy must be fixed, before large droves of people can go car shopping. There are a lot of people in this country right now, who can't even feed their families 3 squared meals a day.

Car manufacturers can make the cars, but can people afford the payments/get financing? I think that with the way things are, the cars would sit on the parking lots/showrooms, and more money/jobs would be lost.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
sweetie00
by on Feb. 25, 2009 at 12:57 PM

I think you are very smart, MelRN. The only reason we don't do it is b/c of money. People in power who are wealthy due to oil will never go for this. They will make up all sorts of excuses, but the bottom line is, oilmen care more about their back than their grandchildren's  earth. What they don't realize is that there will be OTHER jobs. Time to progress, time to move forward, America.

For those of you who naysay- Isn't it great that we went from horses to cars? But you bet those buggy makers weren't too happy. Did they starve? Hardly. What about the guy who used to sell ice from a cart (before refrigeration)? After they invented refrigerators, I'll bet he wasn't too happy, but probably got a better job making refrigerators, or what have you. I'm sure he did not starve, either.

miranda2001
by on Feb. 25, 2009 at 4:10 PM

GEE GREAT IDEA, and is the government going to buy us who can't afford a new car, the natural gas car?

jrdnjstn00
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2009 at 7:36 PM

I know that I'd be SOL if I had to buy a hybrid or electric vehicle. Do you know that the all electric vehicle that GM is coming out with in 2010, if it does come out, is priced at $40,000? A Toyota Pruis new is around $25,000. I sure can't afford this even if it evens out in 4 yrs against the cost of a gas car.

We also do not get all our oil from the middle east. My ex works for an oil company and he goes out to sites where they drill. He drives the truck that gets the oil. he says that they have such a huge surlus of oil right now that it isn't funny.

I just saw on the news that one of the banks that got a government bailout went out and spent over a million of it partying! What the hell. These CEO's don't care because they are rolling in money. What companies should do is cut all the higher up's wages. Some people get paid ridicously for their job. My dad works at an auto factory in Michigan and he just told me that he had to take a pay cut and he is not a high paid worker anyways.

Imma...
by on Feb. 26, 2009 at 2:34 AM

The crisis is due to SPENDING...

While cars getting better mileage is a good idea and getitng off foregin oil is too the biggie is DRILL HERE< DRILL NOW...  while at the same time going nuclear.  Did you know that on average the Domestic automaker makes $152 an HOUR due to all their union benefits?  What the domestic auto workers get in health benefits alone makes EVERY car cost $1,200 more.  The 5 people they just put on the board of the domestic car makers don't even drive domestic.

I don't know about you...but if I am in debt...I don't get out of debt by going and spending more money...HELLOOOOO elementary concept here!

.com      $!$ GO GREEN $!$    How "BIG" would your paycheck be if FICA, Medicare & Federal Withholding were no longer taken out ?   http://www.fairtax.org    GO FAIRTAX!!!  

jalex
by on Feb. 26, 2009 at 7:59 AM

Great idea!  This would create a lot of green jobs!  Much better than nasty oil...

JanMarie225
by on Feb. 26, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Quoting jalex:

Great idea!  This would create a lot of green jobs!  Much better than nasty oil...

You need to remember that it isn't just gas for our cars that comes from oil. Those plastic containers your milk, water, and orange juice are in come from oil. The grocery bags to carry them home comes from oil. A lot of toys made from plastics comes from oil. Just about everything we use comes from petroleum based products including the keyboard you typed on to reply to this post.

aajsluckymommy
by on Feb. 26, 2009 at 3:48 PM

I say "The Man" needs a big damn eraser & the money press. How can you bail out a car company when Americans can't afford to buy them & houses, banks &  so on.  I say bring those outsourced jobs back to the US & get effin real about getting back to basics.  I say I want some of that money back that we have been paying  million dollar plus deals to football, basketball, golfer, actors , politicians,etc. Back to Basics & that means a buick is a buick whether it flies, charges or drives like it has for decads.

Esmrlda
by on Feb. 26, 2009 at 5:58 PM

There are already alternative energy solutions out there. My DH has reseached it this past year. He found sources in water power, magnet motors, zero point energy and anti gravity.  The government already knows about them but they wouldnt generate any money so they are not being used. The american's are basically paying out the nose in vain.  I will ask DH for the links and the names and post them next week.  Seriously tho, I think alot of people just dont know about it. If we get enough people to back it up maybe we could pass a bill and get it voted in!  Im getting excited!

we rock

dlb99
by Member on Feb. 26, 2009 at 8:16 PM
Quoting canthaveboys1:

I think we as the public and tax payers have been getting the short end of the stick for far too long. I dont want to pay with my hard earned money for whatever in the hell the government thinks is a good idea at the time. Usually it ends up it was a not so much a good idea than we are in debt further and have to go through the bailout! 

I AGREE! Well said!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)