Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bart Police Shooting

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2009 at 7:41 PM
  • 21 Replies

did anyone hear about this?

by on Feb. 25, 2009 at 7:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Junebug926
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Wow! I so wish we could see better to know what was going on in the struggle to cause an officer to draw his weapon.

Da1nOnlyDestiny
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Its bothers me to know a child was killed you know? ugh sickens me!

Quoting Junebug926:

Wow! I so wish we could see better to know what was going on in the struggle to cause an officer to draw his weapon.

Junebug926
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Oh I agree. It makes me sad as well! I just wish we had the whole story to know what happened to know if the officer was justified in pulling a gun.

Quoting Da1nOnlyDestiny:

Its bothers me to know a child was killed you know? ugh sickens me!

Quoting Junebug926:

bluewolf
by Member on Feb. 25, 2009 at 11:31 PM

watching the video there was no need for the shooting the people were pulled off for a fight and were all cooperating and didnt it say the boy shot was a victim in the first place they were being to harsh on him to begin with there was no need for all that maybe a tazer but def. not a gun

hsteele
by on Feb. 26, 2009 at 4:34 AM

This is why our officers need to use tasers as their first line of defense.

Junebug926
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2009 at 8:02 AM

Actually from the poor quality of the video you can't see the details of what was happening in the struggle. Was there a weapon/perceived weapon the victim had? Was the victim grabbing for something? I don't know because I can't see. From what I saw no I didn't see anything either but I'd still like to have more details before I make a judgement.

Quoting bluewolf:

watching the video there was no need for the shooting the people were pulled off for a fight and were all cooperating and didnt it say the boy shot was a victim in the first place they were being to harsh on him to begin with there was no need for all that maybe a tazer but def. not a gun

bluewolf
by Member on Feb. 26, 2009 at 8:14 AM

i still say a taser should have been used instead of a gun then no matter what the person would still be alive and everything would have went alot smoother

Da1nOnlyDestiny
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2009 at 8:37 AM

do you know that my 7 yr  old hates cops because they carry guns. and it doesn't matter what you try to tell him he says "if a person uses a gun to hurt someone then they are bad too!"

he said he wants to be a cop that is a good cop that helps people not kills them

he has even confronted cops (including) family members half the time leaving them speechless cuz how do you argue with a 7 yr old who is basically telling you no matter what as long as you have that gun and that badge you are in his eyes considered a bad man.

and oh god dont get me started about soldiers lol the festival last summer well the sgt. had a interesting story to share with his fellow men after meeting my son.

moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Actually, the person wouldn't necessarily still be alive if a taser had been used.  TASERS ARE NOT SAFE FOR MANY PEOPLE!!!!  THEY ARE DANGEROUS!!! I know, they might have been better than a gun.  Then again, it might still have killed him.  Tasers are dangerous to people with any kind of cardiological or neurological issues.  Many have such issues that are undiagnosed.  Just because something is undiagnosed doesn't mean someone can't be hurt by it...they could.  A taser would likely kill me because of my heart condition.  On the other hand, a superficial bullet wound is one I would likely survive.  Plus, a taser can cause LIFELONG CARDIOLOGICAL AND NEUROLOGICAL DAMAGE...EVEN IN HEALTHY PEOPLE!!!!!  Safe?  You tell me.  If a person has  a superficial bullet wound, they'll heal & go on with their lives.  If they're hit with a taser they could be left with life-long damage that could (& likely will) seriously alter their lives & probably also seriously shorten it.

TASERS are NOT the answer!  I think an officer would be better served by hitting to make a superficial wound & stop someone long enough for them to stop him would be better.

Also, an officer utilizing a taser would be dead by the time he walked himself...and the taser over to an assailant with a gun.  He might not fare much better with an assailant with a knife.

Amy

moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2009 at 10:24 AM

I wouldn't find it hard at all to meet & speak with your son.  I would be more than happy to tell him why cops, soldiers, & everyday people feel it necessary to carry open &/or concealed weapons to protect themselves.

If he chooses to still feel these people are bad, then that's his choice, but it wouldn't stop me in my tracks.  I doubt it actually stopped your family members either.  My guess is they chose to remain silent out of respect for you and the obvious parenting you had given your child.

MANY would remain silent with a child feeling it better they be overly safe and have that mindset than end up a criminal who feels guns are the way to conduct business.  However, there IS a happy medium.

Amy

Quoting Da1nOnlyDestiny:

do you know that my 7 yr  old hates cops because they carry guns. and it doesn't matter what you try to tell him he says "if a person uses a gun to hurt someone then they are bad too!"

he said he wants to be a cop that is a good cop that helps people not kills them

he has even confronted cops (including) family members half the time leaving them speechless cuz how do you argue with a 7 yr old who is basically telling you no matter what as long as you have that gun and that badge you are in his eyes considered a bad man.

and oh god dont get me started about soldiers lol the festival last summer well the sgt. had a interesting story to share with his fellow men after meeting my son.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured