Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Dad put baby in dryer!! ( more info)

Posted by   + Show Post

MESA, Ariz. -(Feb. 27)Police in Mesa say a father is jailed on child abuse charges after he intentionally turned on a clothes dryer while his 1-year-old son played inside.

Police spokesman Sgt. Steve Berry says a family was at home Wednesday evening when the child began playing in the dryer. Family members thought it was cute and the mother went to get a camera.
That's when police say 19-year-old Jose Rocha turned on the dryer.
The mother told officers she heard the child screaming.
Police called to the resulting domestic dispute found the boy with bumps and bruises and took Rocha into custody.

Updated: I figured I would look into this more and get more of what happened, here is what I found.

MESA -- A man was arrested for child abuse after police say he turned on a clothes dryer while his 1-year-old son was inside it.

Police were called to a Mesa residence for a domestic dispute between Jose Rocha, 19, and other family members who were upset because Rocha had placed his son in the dryer and turned it on.

Witnesses reported that the situation started when the child was playing and crawled inside the dryer and the family thought it was cute.

Police say when the child's mother left the room to get a camera for a photo, Rocha is alleged to have closed the door and turned on the dryer.

According to police, the child's mother said that she heard the dryer turn on and the child screaming.

The boy received some bumps and bruises. He was treated at the scene and remained in the custody of his mother.

Rocha and the boy's mother claim he never turned the dryer on, but family members who were there said he did.

"I just think it's all being misunderstood," the boy's mother said.

She believes Rocha spun the dryer with his hands, playing with his son.

Rocha was arrested and booked for one count of child abuse.

by on Feb. 27, 2009 at 10:37 PM
Replies (21-25):
sharisse
by Member on Feb. 28, 2009 at 4:29 PM

so what if he died, cause he was "playing" with him? still no jail time? are you crazy?

Quoting chesiretuff:

Quoting Brandie_xo:

I dont buy the story.

there has to be more to it than "i'm going to kill you in the dryer while your mom is getting the camera"

I agree.  Sounds like the guy is an idiot.  Maybe he thought the kid would enjoy a few rounds before it heated up?  Kids like to tumble around.

Jail time?  If he intended to hurt the child, of course.  If he just made a stupid decision, I say some counselling and parenting classes.   

ellyc19111
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Take the baby away from them! They obviously have no idea of how to deal with a child. CPS needs to pay a visit.

princessash
by New Member on Feb. 28, 2009 at 6:32 PM

While I do agree that the dad is a moron and deserves to go to jail, I am wondering why no one is questioning the mother or the rest of the family about the fact that they thought LETTING a child crawl into a dryer while they were WATCHING and letting the child play in a dryer!? I mean WTH?? What were these people thinking? The dad should be charged with abuse but the others mom included should be charged with neglect! Her child is crawling into a dryer and instead of stopping her from doing something dangerous she runs for the camera!?

I'm a stay at home, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, FULLY vaccinating, non CIO, circumcising, ear piercing, recently engaged, going back to college, tattooed, transplanted california girl... who is known at home as Mama =) to my two amazing sons (Gabriel 5 and Brandon 3) and one beautiful newborn daughter (Isabella)

KittyD
by on Feb. 28, 2009 at 6:33 PM

Quoting Junebug926:

I don't buy their story. Then again this sound like the same kind of person who tortures their animal. Anyone who can not see that turning the dryer on while their child is inside is going to hurt them and not be cute shouldn't be allowed to have children, PERIOD!!

KittyD ~ Stop by  my page and sign my Guestbook!

LadyMagnolia
by New Member on Feb. 28, 2009 at 6:38 PM

I remember when my cat Cali was a kitten~she loved warm places. So when I saw her sitting in the dryer I almost sucked the air out of the room!

I can't imagine why someone would think that it was cute/funny that a baby was in the dryer! it's NOT! And why didn't the other family members get that precious baby out instead of being by standers? Good grief...that precious child will have fears and nightmares about this. Way to go you idiot parents!

HUGS~Donna 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)