Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hot Topic (2/28): The end of Abstinence-only programs?

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2009 at 8:31 AM
  • 44 Replies

Poll

Question: If given the opportunity, how would you have voted for this new curriculum?

Options:

I'd vote for it

I'd vote against it

My vote wouldn't matter

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 51

View Results

Schools across the country are shifting away from Abstinence-only curriculums.  In Pittsburgh, for example, the Public School Board recently passed a new program called 'Abstinence Plus,' a comprehensive health education curriculum.  The program will continue to teach abstinence as the best way to prevent pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases.  However, birth control and alternative lifestyles will also be discussed.  Some aspects of the curriculum will be taught in kindergarten. 

Do you agree with this shift?   

by on Feb. 28, 2009 at 8:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chesiretuff
by Member on Feb. 28, 2009 at 9:35 AM

I agree.  No one can deny abstinence is the best way to go,  but the reality is some teens are sexually active.  If they're going to be active, they're going to do it with or with out the knowledge of how to protect themselves.

I don't know what will be taught in kindergarten.  That seems way too young to be addressing these issues.  But I could be wrong.  I've read in some forums, moms talking about having the "talk" to their son at 10/11 years old.  And putting their daughter on birth control at 12/13 years old.  It scared me.  My son is only 3 years old, so I guess I'll have a more developed point of view as he gets older.

cmarielin
by on Feb. 28, 2009 at 10:07 AM

I almost thought this might not be too stupid, until I got to the part about and starting with kindergarteners.  So much for their innocence.

I don't understand why people can't wise up and teach thier own kids about sex, protection, diseases, consequences, and everything else they should be teaching their own children.  Programs like this are the result of parental negligence.  Now the govt. gets to teach our kids whatever they want.

I am so glad my kids are teens, and I got to teach them everything before the public schools got to indoctrinate them.  I'll end up paying for private school educations for my grandkids, or supporting my kids in homeschooling them. 

family in the van

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."  ~Patrick Henry

JanMarie225
by on Feb. 28, 2009 at 10:47 AM

I was ok with it too til I got to alternative lifestyles and kindergarten. Kids will be kids and they will have sex in the heat of the moment. Maybe a different approach would be how to NOT get in a situation that would lead up to having sex.

AnnHah
by New Member on Feb. 28, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Quoting cmarielin:

I don't understand why people can't wise up and teach thier own kids about sex, protection, diseases, consequences, and everything else they should be teaching their own children.  Programs like this are the result of parental negligence.  Now the govt. gets to teach our kids whatever they want.

I am so glad my kids are teens, and I got to teach them everything before the public schools got to indoctrinate them.  I'll end up paying for private school educations for my grandkids, or supporting my kids in homeschooling them. 

family in the van

The government wants to be able to teach our chidren whatever they want and therefore encourages negligence on the part of parents.  Although my children are in public school, my husband and I talk to them every night about what they are learning.  And I have a lot of sympathy for homeschoolers, more so the older I get.

Junebug926
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Okay, I'm  not too sure about the kindergarten part. I wonder what in the world they will teach them about that young? What ever happened to Good Touch Bad Touch?

I think kids need to be educated on sex and their bodies. Sure I don't want my young teen to be having sex but at some point I know she will. I want her to be educated about her body and making smart choices. Sure I'll be having talks with her but I'll be realistic in saying I know I'm not going to sit down with her and go over every std and contraceptive there is. Knowledge is power.

cmarielin
by on Feb. 28, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Why sympathy?  Homeschooled kids get one on one education all day long, have statistically higher test scores, and take better school field trips...lol!  My kids homeschooled when they were younger.  We were in a homeschooling group of parents, we'd meet a couple of times a week for P.E., special reading program, science experimentation and science fairs, art shows, and all.  They've been begging me to homeschool again.  They liked it even better than private school. 

Now, I felt a lot of sympathy for my youngest, when the public school gave up on her when she didn't catch onto reading as quickly as everyone else because she had a reading disability.  They weren't willing to help her until she failed a year first.

Quoting AnnHah:

Quoting cmarielin:

family in the van

The government wants to be able to teach our chidren whatever they want and therefore encourages negligence on the part of parents.  Although my children are in public school, my husband and I talk to them every night about what they are learning.  And I have a lot of sympathy for homeschoolers, more so the older I get.

"Education is a weapon whose effects depend on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed."  ~Joseph Stalin, tyrant dictator.  (Homeschooling was then outlawed by the Soviet State in 1919, by Hitler and Nazi Gertmany in 1938, and by Communist China in 1949.) 

http://www.cafemom.com/group/35896

Junebug926
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2009 at 1:15 PM

I'm a little off topic here but you really can't compare homeschooled kids tests to public school tests scrores. In public school scores you have learning disabled kids/kids with special needs as well as a large number of kids who live in conditions that are not at all comparable. To compare a child who has one on one attention to a child who lives in poor conditions and whose parents are illiterate isn't the same.

Quoting cmarielin:

Why sympathy?  Homeschooled kids get one on one education all day long, have statistically higher test scores, and take better school field trips...lol!  My kids homeschooled when they were younger.  We were in a homeschooling group of parents, we'd meet a couple of times a week for P.E., special reading program, science experimentation and science fairs, art shows, and all.  They've been begging me to homeschool again.  They liked it even better than private school. 

Now, I felt a lot of sympathy for my youngest, when the public school gave up on her when she didn't catch onto reading as quickly as everyone else because she had a reading disability.  They weren't willing to help her until she failed a year first.

Quoting AnnHah:

Quoting cmarielin:

family in the van

JJTaylor
by Member on Feb. 28, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Since the article doesn't relay exactly what is being taught to the youngest kids; we can only assume, which might not be the best choice.  However, if I were to assume/guess I would think that the education would be something right along the lines of what we are teaching our daughter, which is:

You're a girl, there is a difference between us and daddy; we don't allow others to touch our private parts... we talk about stranger danger and what that means if someone tries to touch her in certain areas... etc.  (just an example, I do not need educated)

I think something needs to be done, I have always believed education is the fundamental tool we are lacking in the world today.  If we can educate then we might be able to help kids that will NEVER be educated at home. 

The old adage "I would rather educate, and promote safe sex, then suppor the end results" means a lot to me and I firmly feel IMO that if we can educate we can prevent some pregnancies and diseases, some of which are life altering for the person getting said disease.

Look, I personally don't think anyone reading this will have issues with educating their kids, on the contrary, if you are out here, it means to me that we are not parents that keep our eyes shut and ears plugged, we are open to the fact that kids and teens will do really stupid things... regardless of how smart we believe they are.  I think unfortunately, until the parents across this country are all on the same page and educating their kids and talking and spending time with their kids this kind of thing will remain on the forefront and be an issue.  There are way too many parents that just don't give a damn and think their jobs are pretty much done once they give birth... as sad as it sounds this is true all over the place and it effects both the rich and the poor.

jabs54
by Member on Feb. 28, 2009 at 1:35 PM

I wouldn't mind but NOT in kindergarten.

forsythia_18
by on Feb. 28, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Kids are having sex.  It's not going to stop.  Teach them birth control.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured