Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hot Topic (2/28): The end of Abstinence-only programs?

Poll

Question: If given the opportunity, how would you have voted for this new curriculum?

Options:

I'd vote for it

I'd vote against it

My vote wouldn't matter

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 51

View Results

Schools across the country are shifting away from Abstinence-only curriculums.  In Pittsburgh, for example, the Public School Board recently passed a new program called 'Abstinence Plus,' a comprehensive health education curriculum.  The program will continue to teach abstinence as the best way to prevent pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases.  However, birth control and alternative lifestyles will also be discussed.  Some aspects of the curriculum will be taught in kindergarten. 

Do you agree with this shift?   

by on Feb. 28, 2009 at 8:31 AM
Replies (41-44):
moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Yes.  They do.  In fact, my oldest is on track to start online courses &/or CLEP tests at 16.

Why would this be relevant to this conversation?  Homeschooling a child doesn't mean they're sheltered from the world.  I never said that I homeschooled my child to avoid telling them about life.  In fact, I very clearly stated otherwise in an earlier post.

My children (as they become the appropriate age) know about the "birds & the bees".  They also know that having sex before marriage can lead to pregnancy, diseases, etc.  This is not something they do not know about.

We have a very open relationship with our children.  They aren't afraid to come to us.  I would pray that openness continues as they grow.

Amy

Quoting Junebug926:

Do they plan on going to college?

Quoting moneysaver6:

Which is exactly why I  homeschool my children.

Amy

Quoting Junebug926:

But that isn't the norm and you know it.

Junebug926
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2009 at 12:23 PM

I was just curious. University life is very different than living at at home under the protection of mom and dad. College has a way of opening up minds and for children to become individuals and free thinkers. But as you said, you'll inform them of the birds and the bees and hopefully everything else.

That's awesome your dd is able to start college credit courses. I know a lot of public high schools offer those so it's great she can get started in them too.

Quoting moneysaver6:

Yes.  They do.  In fact, my oldest is on track to start online courses &/or CLEP tests at 16.

Why would this be relevant to this conversation?  Homeschooling a child doesn't mean they're sheltered from the world.  I never said that I homeschooled my child to avoid telling them about life.  In fact, I very clearly stated otherwise in an earlier post.

My children (as they become the appropriate age) know about the "birds & the bees".  They also know that having sex before marriage can lead to pregnancy, diseases, etc.  This is not something they do not know about.

We have a very open relationship with our children.  They aren't afraid to come to us.  I would pray that openness continues as they grow.

Amy

Quoting Junebug926:

Do they plan on going to college?

Quoting moneysaver6:

Which is exactly why I  homeschool my children.

Amy

Quoting Junebug926:

But that isn't the norm and you know it.

mommy2isabella
by on Mar. 4, 2009 at 12:53 AM

While abstinence is clearly the best choice for teenagers and young adults, not yet married or not done college, etc, I think birth control should still be taught. No matter what these kids will continue having sex. 

in lovetoddler girlbaby boyHappily married to Erik 04.12 and proud mommy to Isabella Grace 11.01.06 and Camden Bjorn 09.18.08

vanessa31087
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:10 AM

I'd vote for it. Absitnence only education does NOT work and if you don't believe me I'll introduce you to a pregnant 14 year old who took abstinence only sex education. Schools need to teach about not only abstinence but birth control and protection against STD's as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)