Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you talk about baby at work?

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 7:39 AM
  • 6 Replies

Poll

Question: Does the author have a valid point?

Options:

I agree, endless chatter about kids is inappropriate

I agree to an extent, it's OK to talk about the kids, but only for a bit

I disagree, it's not inappropriate to talk about kids at work

I disagree, the author is just strange

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 9

View Results

Read an interesting article on whether it's appropriate to talk about kids in the workplace.  According to the author, who's also a mom, incessant baby talk at work is not only inappropriate, but irritating. 

Do you think it's okay to wax poetically about your kids at work? 

shrugging

by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 7:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
morningdove831
by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Ok, I'll go first!  I think it's ok to talk about your kids a little at work, but not to overdo it.  You never know if your cubicle-mate may be going through infertility issues or for whatever reason may want kids dearly but can't have any.  Or, some moms may find work a haven to have adult conversations about other topics and may not want to hear about kid stuff all the time.  So, gushing over them all the time can get annoying to others.   

Love is the expansion of two natures in such fashion that each include the other, each is enriched by the other.  -- Felix Adler

CharmaineL
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Quoting morningdove831:

Ok, I'll go first!  I think it's ok to talk about your kids a little at work, but not to overdo it.  You never know if your cubicle-mate may be going through infertility issues or for whatever reason may want kids dearly but can't have any.  Or, some moms may find work a haven to have adult conversations about other topics and may not want to hear about kid stuff all the time.  So, gushing over them all the time can get annoying to others.   

I agree, moderation is key.  Going on and on can get tedious.  However, as an ice breaker, e.g. 'did the first day of school go well' and the like is acceptable.  I must admit, that it never occurred to me until I read the article, that talking about the kids can make childless co-workers feel left out/bored/annoyed.

Junebug926
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2009 at 9:49 AM

I think incessantly talking about anything is inappropriate. i.e. the girl who always talks about her boyfriend/love life.

CharmaineL
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Quoting Junebug926:

I think incessantly talking about anything is inappropriate. i.e. the girl who always talks about her boyfriend/love life.

Good point!

mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2009 at 9:51 AM

I agree w/this

Quoting morningdove831:

chesiretuff
by Member on Mar. 1, 2009 at 10:07 AM

I agree with her.  I would never talk about my son to someone I just met unless they initiated it.  She did say she had a small group of friends she did talk to and so do I.  There are 2 women and 2 men I feel comfortable talking about kids to.  Outside of them, my kid rarely comes up.(unless asked, of course)  I do have photos of him up around my cubicle.  I also feel the higher ranking colleague you're talking to, the less appropriate it is to talk kids.

Plus, if I have to listen to sports talk, they can put up with kid talk. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)