Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Has anyone else heard about the Hersheys factory shutting down most of its U.S. Plants (including its original in Hershey, the town Milton S Hershey built) And building a new plant in Mexico to cut costs? While I realize that there will still be a plant open here, they are cutting over 1,500 jobs to outsource.  (I cant find a full article on it)

I personally am now boycotting Hersheys. If we want to fix the economy, we cant let companies think outsourcing will help them.

by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 3:32 PM
Replies (11-20):
dlb99
by Member on Mar. 2, 2009 at 6:27 PM

The real story is: that the Reading PA plant is closing and moving "its" operation to Monterrey Mexico to produce the low valued items (york peppermint patty and 5th avenue bars) to save money and also meet demands for chocolate in that country.

Fox New reported that 80% of Hershey Choclolates will still be manufactured in the USA and Canada.

This is definately a company feeling the effects of NAFTA at work here.  Check out flexnew.com  or foxnews.com for the info on this.

IrishRocker
by Member on Mar. 2, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Thanks, ill definitly check those two sites!! Like i said, i hadnt been able to find a full report on it, but when i heard this, it made me so mad!!

I probably still wont buy it anymore though. Too many companies are outsourcing, and its not just food corporations. My mom may even lose her job to outsourcing. These companies are causing the economy to fail faster!

Quoting dlb99:

The real story is: that the Reading PA plant is closing and moving "its" operation to Monterrey Mexico to produce the low valued items (york peppermint patty and 5th avenue bars) to save money and also meet demands for chocolate in that country.

Fox New reported that 80% of Hershey Choclolates will still be manufactured in the USA and Canada.

This is definately a company feeling the effects of NAFTA at work here.  Check out flexnew.com  or foxnews.com for the info on this.

dlb99
by Member on Mar. 3, 2009 at 9:07 AM

A lot of people have and will be losing their jobs.  I am saddened by the decision that Hershey's has been forced to make, but even as just  a small business owner, I have had to make changes to survive

so I can understand where Hershey's is coming from.   Once again, another victim of NAFTA.  Sorry but the government sucks.

yiayiaann
by on Mar. 3, 2009 at 9:15 AM

SORRY GALS, BUT THIS IS NOT NEW. THE REASON THAT IT HAS NOT BEEN ON THE NEWS, IT IS ONE OF THOSE FACTORS THAT COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO LEAVE BECAUSE OF OUR TAX LAWS . ANYWAY THEY WANT A ONE COUNTRY--NORTH AMERICA WORLD....CANADA.MEXICO AND USA.. THERE ARE ALOT OF AMERICAN COMPANIES IN MEXICO..BE INFORMED WATCH WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON IN YOUR COUNTRY---LOU DOBBS, AND GLENN BECK..

Wyldbutterfly
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2009 at 9:29 AM

ALL American jobs are at risk so long as NAFTA is in place. Do not blame NAFTA on Bush. Place the blame where it belongs. That is with Reagan and Clinton. reagans brain child and Clinton signed it into law.

ellyc19111
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2009 at 8:53 PM

I agree BooBoocat!  I live in Pa. and haven't heard anything about it.  I also wonder if that would include the Milton Hershey School, Hersheyland amusement park and the beautiful rose garden and the cocoa mulch they sell for your garden.  And if they do shut down, where will they get that lovely chocolate aroma that hangs everywhere?

gogetem
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2009 at 8:55 PM

It's all about See's

My Flickr

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Food Diary

LaNette000
by on Mar. 3, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Why do so many businesses move out of the country, that is so dang annoying to me also!!!

Quoting luckcharm:

How can "The American Chocolate Bar" be moved to Mexico?  That is just wrong.   If they move it and cut that many jobs then I am definatly boycotting.

Be Careful of the toes you step on today, May be the Ass You have to kiss tomorrow!

moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Um...Yeah.  What she said. embarrassed

Amy

Quoting hsteele:

I'll boycott after the Cadbury Mini eggs are off the shelf for the year. lol

dlb99
by Member on Mar. 5, 2009 at 8:38 AM

To: wyldbutterfly & yiayiaann:

Congrats on being informed.....  that is correct about the USA combining as one country, the planned name for "OUR" country is the North American Union which WILL consist of Canada, the US and Mexico.  The ball was set into motion with NAFTA back in the Clinton era.  There has already been a new flag designed, a new coin (pics leaked already) being minted to replace the dollar as we know it.

The sh_t  IS going to hit the fan sooner than most even know.

Start stocking up on canned goods, water, medical supplies etc.....

Check out his web site for more info:  www.JBS.orgamerican flag ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN