Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Has anyone else heard about the Hersheys factory shutting down most of its U.S. Plants (including its original in Hershey, the town Milton S Hershey built) And building a new plant in Mexico to cut costs? While I realize that there will still be a plant open here, they are cutting over 1,500 jobs to outsource.  (I cant find a full article on it)

I personally am now boycotting Hersheys. If we want to fix the economy, we cant let companies think outsourcing will help them.

by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 3:32 PM
Replies (21-30):
Lexy2518
by Member on Mar. 5, 2009 at 8:58 AM

I just have to say one thing...Hershey has a boarding school that was made and still is run for inner city kids. I believe a portion of the proceeds from the chocolate bars go to this school. My husband and his brothers went to this school and got wonderful educations and hershey also helped further their educations after they graduated by awarding them grants for their outstanding academics. These kids are all so talented and go on to do more because this school allows it by helping these kids out even after school is done for them at hershey....did you ever stop to research why they might be selling off one of their factories? maybe it is because they needed help covering some costs for the school and paying some of their employees. Every good business has to do research and make cuts where needed. It is unfortunate that some people have to lose their jobs, but better some than all. What do you expect in a recession? It's not going to be all rainbows and sunshine through these tough times. It's going to be difficult and very hard for a lot of businesses, even ones that didn't make bad decisions like some of these banks did. So of course they are going to have to do things that maybe they don't want to do, like selling off a company to mexico and outsourcing. So wake up to reality people, this is the way the cookie crumbles when times get tough. It's a little harsh on a company if you boycott their product just because they outsource...do you really think that's going to stop them from outsourcing? If anything you are going to bring their profits down and they will have to outsource more! Think before you do.

Wyldbutterfly
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Because they can do business over seas for less and not have to pay the American worker a fare wage. NAFTA allowed this.

Without a foundation the rest will surely crumble. We see this happeneing day after day. I don't know why more people are not up in arms over NAFTA? It blows my mind!

Quoting LaNette000:

Why do so many businesses move out of the country, that is so dang annoying to me also!!!

Quoting luckcharm:

How can "The American Chocolate Bar" be moved to Mexico?  That is just wrong.   If they move it and cut that many jobs then I am definatly boycotting.

Wyldbutterfly
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Quoting Lexy2518:

I just have to say one thing...Hershey has a boarding school that was made and still is run for inner city kids. I believe a portion of the proceeds from the chocolate bars go to this school. My husband and his brothers went to this school and got wonderful educations and hershey also helped further their educations after they graduated by awarding them grants for their outstanding academics. These kids are all so talented and go on to do more because this school allows it by helping these kids out even after school is done for them at hershey....did you ever stop to research why they might be selling off one of their factories? maybe it is because they needed help covering some costs for the school and paying some of their employees. Every good business has to do research and make cuts where needed. It is unfortunate that some people have to lose their jobs, but better some than all. What do you expect in a recession? It's not going to be all rainbows and sunshine through these tough times. It's going to be difficult and very hard for a lot of businesses, even ones that didn't make bad decisions like some of these banks did. So of course they are going to have to do things that maybe they don't want to do, like selling off a company to mexico and outsourcing. So wake up to reality people, this is the way the cookie crumbles when times get tough. It's a little harsh on a company if you boycott their product just because they outsource...do you really think that's going to stop them from outsourcing? If anything you are going to bring their profits down and they will have to outsource more! Think before you do.

Outsorcing is the VERY PROBLEM with our job market. Everything has been outsorced over seas. Wake up America and take a look. Do some research. It's easy to do.

caitandcarasmom
by Member on Mar. 5, 2009 at 9:44 AM

In response to the North American Union, yes, we do have the SPP and NAFTA but if you were to check any reputable source (and the JBS is not one), you'll see that this is just a conspiracy theory and that neither of the three countries involved or their leaders have any plans of forming a union similar to the EU any time soon. 

I cannot stand it when people try to create panic!

Lexy2518
by Member on Mar. 5, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

Quoting Lexy2518:

Outsorcing is the VERY PROBLEM with our job market. Everything has been outsorced over seas. Wake up America and take a look. Do some research. It's easy to do.

You're missing my point...I never said outsourcing is a good thing. I did read the articles, and they are outsourcing very little in Mexico.They are doing what they have to in tough economic times in order to keep the "ball rolling" and yes make some money, due to the fact that they lost money last year, everyone is cutting back where they have to...is that not that point of business? to make money? I just don't see why boycotting their products would help the situation...if anything that would make things worse for the company and forcing them to outsource more to countries that are cheaper for them to work out of, to make up for a loss in profits. That's my point.

ripchris7
by New Member on Mar. 5, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Personally, the only chocolate I really like very much is Hershey and it is absolutely my daughter's favorite.  t I would rather pay a few more cents for it though then have it moved out of the country.  I mean not some ridiculous increase but to keep American jobs where they belong I would pay another dime or two, wouldn't you?  That would add up with the millions who eat it.

sweetie00
by on Mar. 5, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Nestle gets milk from dairy farms in Brazil. Maybe here, too.  Not sure....But alot of companies aren't 100% American. And why are they outsourcing? Cost? So why is American cost so high, and how do we fix that?

Quoting cmarielin:

Well, that was awfully crappy of them.  I like Nestle better.  Especially now....

sweetie00
by on Mar. 5, 2009 at 1:28 PM

ummm.,O.K....I'll be in my DOOM BUNKER.....

sweetie00
by on Mar. 5, 2009 at 1:32 PM

In the U.S., Bush, who had worked to "fast track" the official signing prior to the end of his last term, ran out of time and had to pass the required ratification and "signing into law" to incoming president Bill Clinton. Prior to sending it to the House of Representatives, Clinton introduced clauses which would hopefully provide protections for American workers while placating concerns held by many of the House representatives. It also required U.S. partners to adhere to environmental practices and regulations similar to its own. Being able to enforce these clauses, especially with Mexico, was considered questionable, and with much consternation and emotional discussion The House of Representatives approved NAFTA on November 17, 1993, by a vote of 234 to 200. Remarkably the agreement's supporters included 132 Republicans and only 102 Democrats.-wikipedia

dr_m
by on Mar. 5, 2009 at 2:03 PM

this is really  so weird..  re hershey all i had heard is that most of the chocolates arent even going to really have chocolate in them..   or already now.. check ingredients..

that's weird and scary..about 3 countries into one...  but  may help explain the lack of action on the illegal immigration and problems in border states...

thanks, all of you, for posting..  i sometimes watch dobbs, but will make a point of checking out both beck and dobbs... thanks !!!

Quoting dlb99:

To: wyldbutterfly & yiayiaann:

Congrats on being informed.....  that is correct about the USA combining as one country, the planned name for "OUR" country is the North American Union which WILL consist of Canada, the US and Mexico.  The ball was set into motion with NAFTA back in the Clinton era.  There has already been a new flag designed, a new coin (pics leaked already) being minted to replace the dollar as we know it.

The sh_t  IS going to hit the fan sooner than most even know.

Start stocking up on canned goods, water, medical supplies etc.....

Check out his web site for more info:  www.JBS.orgamerican flag ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN