Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Has anyone else heard about the Hersheys factory shutting down most of its U.S. Plants (including its original in Hershey, the town Milton S Hershey built) And building a new plant in Mexico to cut costs? While I realize that there will still be a plant open here, they are cutting over 1,500 jobs to outsource.  (I cant find a full article on it)

I personally am now boycotting Hersheys. If we want to fix the economy, we cant let companies think outsourcing will help them.

by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 3:32 PM
Replies (31-40):
dlb99
by Member on Mar. 6, 2009 at 7:39 AM

Quoting caitandcarasmom:

In response to the North American Union, yes, we do have the SPP and NAFTA but if you were to check any reputable source (and the JBS is not one), you'll see that this is just a conspiracy theory and that neither of the three countries involved or their leaders have any plans of forming a union similar to the EU any time soon. 

I cannot stand it when people try to create panic!

Are you kidding me!!!  Do you watch the news?  Are you reading the bills being passed in congress right now?  I would say that is a reputable source. Or maybe we should just ignore what is coming out of congress too!  Did you check out the FEMA camps in this country yet?  Do you honestly think they are for "our own good"?

Have you read the list that came directley from the president and vice president about the changes that they ARE going to implement?  Things like the 5 minute tax form.  Won't that be great... you can do your taxes in 5 minutes and not have to pay a tax preparer. (but the government will know EVERYthing about you).  The figures will all be filled in and you just sign it.   I am all set with that.  There will be no such thing as deductions anymore.

How about the bill they are trying to pass, to ban weapon sales.  I don't know about you, but I would rather be able to protect myself when the crap hits the fan.

Hey it is your right (at least for now) to believe what you want to, I'm just saying, I would rather be prepared than sitting there without a clue what to do when there are no options in front of you.

I will post again over the weekend with some "reputable" sites for those non believers.

Have a great day!

SunandMoonMom
by Member on Mar. 6, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Darn!  I really like york peppermint patties, especially from the freezer when it's hot! :-(

Quoting dlb99:

The real story is: that the Reading PA plant is closing and moving "its" operation to Monterrey Mexico to produce the low valued items (york peppermint patty and 5th avenue bars) to save money and also meet demands for chocolate in that country.

Fox New reported that 80% of Hershey Choclolates will still be manufactured in the USA and Canada.

This is definately a company feeling the effects of NAFTA at work here.  Check out flexnew.com  or foxnews.com for the info on this.

KimberlySue79
by on Mar. 6, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Well that sucks badGuess I won't be buying Hershey's products anymore.  

ColtsFan1912
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2009 at 6:15 PM

are there even any mexicans left in mexico to run the factory?

opps did i say that? :)

Mommy to Caleb Grant 11-16-07 My Sunshine

"Be careful little feet where you go, for it's the little feet behind you that are sure to follow" -Casting Crowns

"if you dont want to stand behind our soliders feel free to stand in front of them" unknown

SunandMoonMom
by Member on Mar. 6, 2009 at 7:49 PM

high five

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

chattymama92
by on Mar. 7, 2009 at 12:51 AM

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

Nope. They're probably all expats (americans) who've crossed the border looking for work. lmao

joleen
by Member on Mar. 7, 2009 at 1:08 AM

ok they are going to china to make green tea kisses  and mexico to put nuts in reeses pb cups, throwing uphope this cooperation realizes that it is one of the last standing companies that are in us and now they are going to other countries to pay their workers less money they move all their plants out of us i wont eat them anymore for fear of poison

dlb99
by Member on Mar. 7, 2009 at 8:36 PM

To keep my word:  Here are some sites for any of you who would like to keep on top of what is going on under our noses....

For all bills and changes being made in congress go to

www.govtrack.us

For daily stuff check out these sites:

www.drudge.com

www.roguegoverment.com  (this is about the FEMA camps)

www.infowars.com

change.gov (click on agenda but be sure to read between the lines)

There are a ton more !!!!!

IrishRocker
by Member on Mar. 7, 2009 at 9:57 PM

I agree. If jobs stay in the US, the economy will fix itself, bc jobs arent being lost with noone else to hire them. I would willing pay a few more cents for my chocoloate, or food, if it meant the corp. staying here. I already try to buy local, and only shop at a TX based grocery store. (hehe down with WalMart!!)

Quoting ripchris7:

Personally, the only chocolate I really like very much is Hershey and it is absolutely my daughter's favorite.  t I would rather pay a few more cents for it though then have it moved out of the country.  I mean not some ridiculous increase but to keep American jobs where they belong I would pay another dime or two, wouldn't you?  That would add up with the millions who eat it.

IrishRocker
by Member on Mar. 7, 2009 at 9:59 PM

rolling on floor

Quoting SunandMoonMom:

high five

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)