Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Your Cigarette ,,where is it going

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2009 at 9:10 PM
  • 6 Replies

I like in south carolina,,,,and out tax is 7% on a pack of cgarettes.  Welll I want to know what was going on tax wisw in your state with cigarettes sales tax?  it could make a differenvce in saving a smoker ten of thousands of dollars , if they live in the right part of the country.

whats our story?

joni

by on Mar. 3, 2009 at 9:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
ShadowRaven
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Currently Kentucky tax is about $.60 with a $.30 increase effective April 1, 2009.  The funny part is that legislation voted for the $.30 increase instead of the $.70 increase that was also proposed.

The cigs I buy (GT Ones) were $20 for a carton, but the gas station I buy them for just raised it to $21.90.  Still, I'm not complaining about getting a carton for $22 since I'm actually from Chicago and the average carton price when I moved to KY 2 years ago was $40-45.  I can only imagine what it is now. 

hsteele
by on Mar. 3, 2009 at 10:51 PM

It looks like CA is .87 per pack of cigarettes. I do know that at least in CA, those cigarette taxes go to the education budget. I don't smoke, so obviously I am all for that cigarette tax. lol

IrishRocker
by Member on Mar. 3, 2009 at 10:56 PM

I dont smoke, so i really dont know how much the tax is, i just know it is supposed to go up again this year. And i believe it goes to the education funds. So i say Tax away!!  Smokers want to take my tax money for their hospital bills, so theyre smoking might as well go to a good cause right?

moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2009 at 10:19 AM

What she said.

Amy

Quoting IrishRocker:

I dont smoke, so i really dont know how much the tax is, i just know it is supposed to go up again this year. And i believe it goes to the education funds. So i say Tax away!!  Smokers want to take my tax money for their hospital bills, so theyre smoking might as well go to a good cause right?

JJTaylor
by Member on Mar. 4, 2009 at 1:40 PM

I am not quite sure what the tax is on a pack of cigarettes, I do not smoke and think that smoking is a waste of money and a perfectly healthy human being!!!  IMO.

I live in Washington state and the basic generic pack of ciggs cost about $5.38 before taxes, I know that both ciggs and alcohol are charged a higher rate of taxes then regular taxes, our sales tax for everything is 8.25%, so from what I could find it was 9% per pack?  Not sure if that's the most updated information. 

I think if you are going to buy things that are above the normal living expenses, (food, rent/mortgage, gas, etc.) then we should pay more... I enjoy a mixed drink every once in a while, and I don't see an issue with paying a higher premium for it; why?  Because it's not a necessity, it's extravagant and I don't feel bad for anyone that drinks, smokes, etc. and pays higher taxes.  If you don't like it quit.

I also agree with the other poster that brought up the point of the taxes that are being paid for these extravagents are going towards education, and saving people that are destroying their bodies with not so good choices.

mom_wrhsc
by on Mar. 4, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Just paid 94 dollars and some change for 2 cartons....uggg want to quit but tried so many things that didn't work. Next step is doctor and I hate that thought too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN