Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Did the election ruin McCain's daughter's love life?

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2009 at 11:35 PM
  • 5 Replies

Meghan McCain, John McCain  Somewhere in between college and the election, I started allowing politics to dictate the kind of men I date. And the worst part is, it's not just Obama supporters who turn me off it's often my father's. 

The election killed my personal life.

Of all the things people warned would happen post-election, no one ever said anything about how complicated dating would become. Especially if your dad loses the election. There are things that have been difficult, but nothing quite as tough as dating. I fear the election has destroyed my ability and desire to date. Now, I cannot say at any point in my life that I have been very good at dating. But I have become something I used to despise: people who let politics dictate his or her attraction to someone.

One extreme fan of my mother's recently told me I could be "his Cindy." And then asked me if I ever wore pearls because they probably would look as good on me as they do on my mother.

I am a person that has always prided myself on keeping politics out of my relationships. I have many friends who openly voted for Barack Obama (many of them also didn't). Who my friends voted for is of no concern to me. I am adult enough to understand that people vote for their own personal reasons, and I know how personal politics can be to someone.

Here's the biggest surprise: I am not only turned off by people who voted for Barack Obama, but I am also turned off by people that voted for my dad-or more so, obsessive supporters of my dad. Recently, over dinner, a guy started explaining his reasons for supporting President Obama during the election (I didn't ask, I think the poor guy felt guilty) and I immediately found any attraction I had previously had dissipate. But same thing happens if a guy starts talking about all the reasons why my father should be president. I have the ultimate Catch-22 in post-election dating. So where does that leave me, and who exactly am I attracted to? Let's just say I'm spending a lot of time writing and even more time with my girlfriends.

by on Mar. 3, 2009 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Robin
by Group Admin on Mar. 4, 2009 at 8:54 AM

I think she's using this as an excuse for her dating issues...

I'm sure it's hard to date while your family is in the public eye but maybe she just hasn't met the right person - or maybe she's being too picky.

dr_m
by on Mar. 4, 2009 at 10:04 AM

i saw her on tv...  any one in the public eye will most likely have some problems with their private life... i dont know what her agenda is trying to get everyone's attention / sympathy...

sandeetraveler
by Member on Mar. 4, 2009 at 10:38 AM

She wrote a book I think and she needs to keep her name out there.  I'm sure she can find dates. 

jessi311
by on Mar. 4, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Seriously, quit your whining and be single for a while!  Then when you do start dating again, tell people that you're not interested in their political views!  Wow, some people...

WildKat
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Honestly, I think it just sounds like she's sick of the political talk.  When she says "any previous attraction I had felt dissipated" she admits to having previously been attracted to him. 

My take on this is that she needs to meet a guy and keep her last name out of it - or say flat out "my rule is no politics talk on a date" and she'll be fine.

Peace,

Kat

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN