Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would you do this? Mom Poses As Daughter, Nabs Alleged Predator

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2009 at 7:15 AM
  • 35 Replies

Mom Poses As Daughter, Nabs Alleged Predator

ROCKLIN (CBS13) ―

A Rocklin mother set up a sting on an older man who allegedly tried to solicit sex from her teen daughter online, and the suspect is now behind bars.

The mother, who does not wish to be identified, had a deal with her daughter. "She knows that in order to have access to these online chat rooms and messengers on MySpace she has to give me her password, and I monitor it regularly," she said.

An older man allegedly contacted the 15-year-old daughter online and made inappropriate comments. The mother posed as her daughter and kept reading the communications grew more disturbing.

"It progressively got more vulgar and sexually explicit," the mother said. "He was telling her what he wanted to do with her sexually… I was ready to vomit, it was really vulgar. It got a lot worse, to the point where he proceeded to masturbate on webcam."

Police say the man was 24-year-old William Ambord of Anderson, and he invited the "daughter" to a Sacramento Motel 6.

"He asked her if she knew how to get there," the mother said. "[He] was going to get alcohol and such for them, told her what he specifically wanted to do with her when she was there."

That's when she called police. Ambord is behind bars and police are investigating whether there are other victims out there.

The mother warns other parents to be proactive in protecting their children online. "Worry less about protecting their privacy and just protect your children," she said.

by on Mar. 4, 2009 at 7:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ain-gell72
by on Mar. 4, 2009 at 7:17 AM

in a heartbeat! yes, i would do the same as this mom!

GO MOM!!!!!

GypsyWillow
by on Mar. 4, 2009 at 7:20 AM

Yes!

For two reasons.

1. As a mother is it is my job to protect my kids from freaks like that jerk. (while they are minors)

2. As a mother I would also do it to help protect other kids that didn't have someone to protect them.

greengirl106
by Member on Mar. 4, 2009 at 7:24 AM

How amazing! Privacy is limited until you become a certain age. Children don't always make the best decisions and still need their parents' guidance even at 15 and 16. What a strong mama!

mamapotter
by Member on Mar. 4, 2009 at 7:35 AM

She deserves a medal!  She has my respect for setting strict guidelines on her daughter's internet use alone.

Dr. Phil said that the secret to inner peace was to finish everything you started.  So I looked around the house, finished the book I wanted to read, my old Prozac prescription, the rest of the cheesecake, and a bottle of Jack Daniels.  You wouldn't believe how calm I am now.
LaNette000
by on Mar. 4, 2009 at 7:38 AM

Definately! Glad this mom went out on a limb for her daughter. Makes perfect sense to me. 

Be Careful of the toes you step on today, May be the Ass You have to kiss tomorrow!

3timesoccermom
by Member on Mar. 4, 2009 at 7:59 AM

What an AWESOME mom.  I wish I could personally tell her how much I admire her for doing this though I am sure she wouldn't see it as any big deal.  She'd probably just say she was protecting her daughter and other girls out there.  That's the way real heroes are! 

forsythia_18
by on Mar. 4, 2009 at 8:02 AM

goodImagine all the sexual crimes against minors that could be prevented if more moms were like this.

chesiretuff
by Member on Mar. 4, 2009 at 8:19 AM

She watched a guy masterbate on a webcam?  There's a lot more to this story.  Like, did her daughter alert her to the perv?  I don't know why the mother let it go on as long as it did.  After the first vulgar comment she should have told the guy to back off and alerted the police.  Who knows what other little girls he was talking to while she was stringing him along.

I know right now, I am not going to monitor every communication my son has on the internet.  Partly because he deserves his privacy, partly because he deserves my trust that he will do the right thing, and mostly because I have a life.  If he's anything like I was as a teen, I'll be spending hours reading over stupid teen drama messages.

To the question, would I do this?  Hopefully my son would have told me about some creepo contacting him and I would call the police immediately. 

tiggerrrt
by on Mar. 4, 2009 at 8:26 AM

clappingWTG for this mom.... the question shouldn't be "Would You do this" but What Mom WOULDN'T do this....  I hope she got all his sick stuff recorded somehow so he CAN'T wiggle out of charges.... Give her credit for letting it go as long as she did....the more sick info she could get the better the chances of the charges sticking...

mushmom
by on Mar. 4, 2009 at 8:27 AM

Good for her!  And yes, we would do this.  dd is gonna think we're too strict but one day she'll appreciate it.  dh's a computer geek so he'll be on patrol!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN