Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would you do this? Mom Poses As Daughter, Nabs Alleged Predator

Mom Poses As Daughter, Nabs Alleged Predator

ROCKLIN (CBS13) ―

A Rocklin mother set up a sting on an older man who allegedly tried to solicit sex from her teen daughter online, and the suspect is now behind bars.

The mother, who does not wish to be identified, had a deal with her daughter. "She knows that in order to have access to these online chat rooms and messengers on MySpace she has to give me her password, and I monitor it regularly," she said.

An older man allegedly contacted the 15-year-old daughter online and made inappropriate comments. The mother posed as her daughter and kept reading the communications grew more disturbing.

"It progressively got more vulgar and sexually explicit," the mother said. "He was telling her what he wanted to do with her sexually… I was ready to vomit, it was really vulgar. It got a lot worse, to the point where he proceeded to masturbate on webcam."

Police say the man was 24-year-old William Ambord of Anderson, and he invited the "daughter" to a Sacramento Motel 6.

"He asked her if she knew how to get there," the mother said. "[He] was going to get alcohol and such for them, told her what he specifically wanted to do with her when she was there."

That's when she called police. Ambord is behind bars and police are investigating whether there are other victims out there.

The mother warns other parents to be proactive in protecting their children online. "Worry less about protecting their privacy and just protect your children," she said.

by on Mar. 4, 2009 at 7:15 AM
Replies (31-35):
3timesoccermom
by Member on Mar. 5, 2009 at 12:43 AM

Something else for those who criticized this mom to think about.  If she'd turned him in earlier what would have been done to him?  Yes he was communicating with the daughter and doing some disgusting stuff but could he/would he have been arrested for doing those online?  I don't think so.  By waiting she made sure he'd gone far enough and she had enough evidence that they had to put him behind bars.  How many times have you heard about a woman being threatened by her SO and she goes to the police and they say there's nothing they can do until he actually does something?  This lady made the right move by waiting.  I can only imagine how difficult it was for her to do that but by being patient, even though she was nearly physically ill from this guy she made sure the cops had proof.

mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2009 at 1:04 AM

I agree

Quoting mamapotter:

She deserves a medal!  She has my respect for setting strict guidelines on her daughter's internet use alone.

ShadowRaven
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2009 at 9:32 AM

I would do it in a heartbeat.

judithdawn81
by New Member on Mar. 5, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Exactly!  I agree 100%!  The more evidence she has the more the law will do!

Quoting 3timesoccermom:

Something else for those who criticized this mom to think about.  If she'd turned him in earlier what would have been done to him?  Yes he was communicating with the daughter and doing some disgusting stuff but could he/would he have been arrested for doing those online?  I don't think so.  By waiting she made sure he'd gone far enough and she had enough evidence that they had to put him behind bars.  How many times have you heard about a woman being threatened by her SO and she goes to the police and they say there's nothing they can do until he actually does something?  This lady made the right move by waiting.  I can only imagine how difficult it was for her to do that but by being patient, even though she was nearly physically ill from this guy she made sure the cops had proof.

heyiitsang84
by on Mar. 5, 2009 at 9:41 AM

YES!!!! I THINK THAT MORE MOMS SHOULD DO THIS!!! THEY'RE OUR CHILDREN WE SHOULD BE PROTECTING THEM!!! GOOD JOB MOMMA!!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)