Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Idiot makes gun owners look bad

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2009 at 10:26 AM
  • 16 Replies

An idiot in Michigan decided to not follow the assumption that a gun is always loaded.  Instead, he figured that since a gun had been in storage for awhile that it wasn't loaded.

As result, his 12yr old son is now dead!

(He was cleaning gun which he thought was unloaded, but didn't bother to actually check!)

My opinion?  This guy should be throw in jail.

Amy

by on Mar. 5, 2009 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Armywife6
by Member on Mar. 5, 2009 at 10:33 AM

It's people like this that make the rest of us gun owners look bad.  I agree that he should be charged but I don't think jail time is appropriate he should be forced to have to go to schools & or other places to speak about gun safety.

moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Perhaps.  I guess I'm just really upset that people like HIM make people like US (legal, responsible gun owners) look bad.

Amy

Quoting Armywife6:

It's people like this that make the rest of us gun owners look bad.  I agree that he should be charged but I don't think jail time is appropriate he should be forced to have to go to schools & or other places to speak about gun safety.

CosmicMomma
by Member on Mar. 5, 2009 at 10:56 AM

I feel sorry for him.  His son's dead.  None of us are perfect and we'd like to think we'd act smarter but I'm going to be empathetic so Karma will pass that on to me next time I do something stupid.

Since we don't know the details and the media tend to make things look sorted for the "STORY", it's hard to comment.  Of course, it does make us gun slinging folk look bad but that's probably the point. 

cmarielin
by on Mar. 5, 2009 at 11:05 AM

I agree.  And I'm so sad about his poor son.

Quoting CosmicMomma:

I feel sorry for him.  His son's dead.  None of us are perfect and we'd like to think we'd act smarter but I'm going to be empathetic so Karma will pass that on to me next time I do something stupid.

Since we don't know the details and the media tend to make things look sorted for the "STORY", it's hard to comment.  Of course, it does make us gun slinging folk look bad but that's probably the point. 

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Mar. 5, 2009 at 11:14 AM

I feel horrible for him.

Accidents happen. 

You say say they won't with you...because you are uber responsible and all that jazz...but they are called "accidents" for a reason.

My neighbor was shot in the head...because a gun misfired.  Lawsuit ensued...he was awarded damages.  It wasn't mishandling of the gun, it was the gun.

A coworker's son, who had grown up around guns and was a competitive shooter...knew all about gun safety..blah blah blah (everything all you "responsible gun owners" teach your kids),   had one accident with his gun and is now dead.

Accidents happen.

I don't think that man needs jail to be punished.  I'd bet he is suffering enough.  Why would anyone want to heap more onto him?

moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2009 at 11:30 AM

There is a HUGE difference in a true accident and in irresponsibility.  THAT was irresponsibility.  Just as a drunk driving causing an accident is charged if he causes a car crash because he was irresponsible (not to mention breaking the law).

This guy will probably be charged with something because Michigan law states that if a child is injured as a result of your gun, then you will be held criminally liable.

If the story, as reported, is a true version of events, then the father was irresponsible by not checking to see if the gun was loaded before he began cleaning it. 

An accident would be a misfire during target shooting...if the gun had been properly cleaned and maintained.  (Again...if a misfire is because a gun was not properly cleaned & maintained that it is due to irresponsibility.)

Amy

Junebug926
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2009 at 2:32 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's a shame that just anyone can have kids. A basic level of  common since should tell anyone not to point a gun at anyone and shoot it!!

canthaveboys1
by on Mar. 5, 2009 at 2:35 PM

What an idiot! How long had it been since he cleaned or fired the gun? Apparently too long. Idiot. 

Canthaveboys1
tiggerrrt
by on Mar. 5, 2009 at 8:41 PM

I doubt anything the law can do to him will be worse than the punishment he is putting himself through but I do think he should be charged with something.

I read the stories about parents who 'accidently' kill their children...the one with the woman who didn't correctly buckle kids, or the one who took her infant of seat, this one...while I think there should be some justice I seriously doubt that anything they are sentenced with can begin to compare to the knowledge you killed your child...I don't know if I could go on...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured