Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

An idiot in Michigan decided to not follow the assumption that a gun is always loaded.  Instead, he figured that since a gun had been in storage for awhile that it wasn't loaded.

As result, his 12yr old son is now dead!

(He was cleaning gun which he thought was unloaded, but didn't bother to actually check!)

My opinion?  This guy should be throw in jail.

Amy

by on Mar. 5, 2009 at 10:26 AM
Replies (11-16):
luckcharm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2009 at 8:57 PM

I also agree.

Quoting cmarielin:

I agree.  And I'm so sad about his poor son.

Quoting CosmicMomma:

I feel sorry for him.  His son's dead.  None of us are perfect and we'd like to think we'd act smarter but I'm going to be empathetic so Karma will pass that on to me next time I do something stupid.

Since we don't know the details and the media tend to make things look sorted for the "STORY", it's hard to comment.  Of course, it does make us gun slinging folk look bad but that's probably the point. 

"Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says... Oh NO! The bitch is awake"

ColtsFan1912
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2009 at 9:19 PM

That poor boy :( So sad.

Mommy to Caleb Grant 11-16-07 My Sunshine

"Be careful little feet where you go, for it's the little feet behind you that are sure to follow" -Casting Crowns

"if you dont want to stand behind our soliders feel free to stand in front of them" unknown

maycock
by New Member on Mar. 5, 2009 at 10:11 PM

I DON'T BELIEVE HE SHOULD GO TO JAIL AT ALL I BELIEVE THE ACCIDENT IS PUNISHMENT ENOUGH.!.!!!!!!

ITS THOUGHTS LIKE YOURS THAT IS THE PROBLEM OUR RIGHT TO BARE ARMS RIGHTS ARE TRYING TO BE TAKEN AND THATS WHAT IM AGAINST.

IWAS RAISED AROUND GUNS MY FAMILY ALL ARE HUNTERS AND THERE WAS AN INCIDENT IN MY FAMILY WITH A GUN WHEN I WAS LITTLE THAT LUCKILY ENDED IN A GOOD WAY

ACCIDENTS HAPPEN!!!!!!!! 

mommyof6family in the van

moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Actually, he didn't point the gun at  his son & shoot it.

He was cleaning the gun & it went off.  His mistake was in not assuming that a gun is ALWAYS loaded...not matter how "sure" you are that it isn't.  The FIRST thing my husband does before leaving a range or a hunt is make sure his gun is unloaded.  DESPITE this, the first the he does when he brings his gun home from a hunt or shooting at the range & before cleaning it is to make sure the gun is unloaded.  He NEVER assumes that just because he checked it before he left the hunt or range & ensured it was empty then that it is still empty.  No, he didn't reload it, but his life & that of his wife & children are worth more than an assumption.  He double checks.

In this case, the gun had been stored for quite some time according to the story and the guy assumed as a result that it was unloaded.  The ONLY assumption you EVER make about a gun is that it is loaded.

As far as kids go, I don't think the government or anyone else has the right to say who can and cannot have children; regardless of how little common sense a person may appear to have.

Amy

Quoting Junebug926:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's a shame that just anyone can have kids. A basic level of  common since should tell anyone not to point a gun at anyone and shoot it!!

CosmicMomma
by Member on Mar. 7, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Quoting maycock:

I DON'T BELIEVE HE SHOULD GO TO JAIL AT ALL I BELIEVE THE ACCIDENT IS PUNISHMENT ENOUGH.!.!!!!!!

ITS THOUGHTS LIKE YOURS THAT IS THE PROBLEM OUR RIGHT TO BARE ARMS RIGHTS ARE TRYING TO BE TAKEN AND THATS WHAT IM AGAINST.

IWAS RAISED AROUND GUNS MY FAMILY ALL ARE HUNTERS AND THERE WAS AN INCIDENT IN MY FAMILY WITH A GUN WHEN I WAS LITTLE THAT LUCKILY ENDED IN A GOOD WAY

ACCIDENTS HAPPEN!!!!!!!! 

You are so right.  He killed his son, that's enough right there. 

Why are people so judgemental and feel something legal needs to be done?  Why not show him some sympathy and compassion?  Actually, is it any of our business anyway?  This is really between him and his family.  The law needs to rule it an accident and let it go.  If you went to jail for being stupid, I don't know anyone who'd be walking around.  We've all done stupid stuff but most of the time we get away with it.

IrishRocker
by Member on Mar. 7, 2009 at 11:49 PM

This guy is going through HELL right now, knowing he killed his son by not checking the gun. I dont think he should go to jail, i think community service would better serve him and others who need to learn about gun safety. He now knows firsthand the consequences of not being safe, and he has perfect authority to help others.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured