Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

While breaking bread with a former colleague , she told me that a recent hire's mother called her office after a poor performance review.  I believe my eyes were bulging in shock at this disclosure.  Granted, that employee was a recent college grad and may have been a bit green, which is okay, but bad behavior is bad behavior, hence the basis for the unflattering review.  The unflattering remarks were not about the actual work product, it was more about that young woman's unprofessional behavior - e.g. eye rolling, chronic lateness, too much time spent texting, etc.   My friend, also a parent, exclaimed, 'this is the worst case of helicopter parenting that I've ever seen in real life!'

Needless to say, she has an even more negative view of her colleague.  Do you think that mom went too far?  And, might have that constant hovering fostered a sense of entitlement in her daughter?

by on Mar. 6, 2009 at 7:45 AM
Replies (11-15):
rlemde
by on Mar. 6, 2009 at 12:56 PM

That sounds like my mil. God cut the cord already! Yes, she went too far, her daughter's out in the world now, it's time to let her be accountable.

CharmaineL
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Quoting Jax_mommy:

Your post made me laugh really hard!

Aren't these "workers" embarrassed about their Mommies calling their work?

Quoting PestPatti:

I wouldnt  call my son's employer because his performance review was bad.   Its my sons job to the whats expected of him at work.

While I was a office manager for a chiropractor,  we went through quite a few 20 something receptionists.  The one that toook the cake, was the 25 year old who couldnt work on Tuesday because her parents werent home on Tuesdays to wake her up.   On 1 occasion her mommy and daddy called in for her.  I explained to mommy and daddy its not their job, she needs to call in herself.    They lectured me on parentling.... 

I hope she was embarrassed! It's mortifying!

dr_m
by on Mar. 7, 2009 at 11:30 AM

agree

Quoting sweetie00:

EXACTLY!!!!

Quoting Junebug926:

I think the girl's poor behavior is a result of this kind of parenting. It's kind of like the "not my baby" syndrome.

PestPatti
by on Mar. 7, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Quoting CharmaineL:

Quoting Jax_mommy:

Your post made me laugh really hard!

Aren't these "workers" embarrassed about their Mommies calling their work?

Quoting PestPatti:

I wouldnt  call my son's employer because his performance review was bad.   Its my sons job to the whats expected of him at work.

While I was a office manager for a chiropractor,  we went through quite a few 20 something receptionists.  The one that toook the cake, was the 25 year old who couldnt work on Tuesday because her parents werent home on Tuesdays to wake her up.   On 1 occasion her mommy and daddy called in for her.  I explained to mommy and daddy its not their job, she needs to call in herself.    They lectured me on parentling.... 

I hope she was embarrassed! It's mortifying!

No she wasnt embarrassed, she thought I was a hard ass.    Interesting thing is she was arrested a few weeks later for being part of a counterfit ring.  She was actually smiling in her mug shot......

IrishRocker
by Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:03 AM

That mom went way to far. Its one thing for them to bash her boss or whatever at home. Its another for her mother to call her employer to get a better review. The mom needs to teach ehr daughter respect and work etiquette if she wants her to have better reviews.

I actually had a coworker fired for calling in sick on her boyfrinds cell phone (she was dating a friends brother, and we had caller id...also called my friend to see if the girl was sick) then couldnt understand exactly why she was being fired.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN