Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Girl Who Video Taped Beating of FL Cheerleader to Get Probation (What if it were your child, the one beaten or the one giving the beating?)

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2009 at 2:59 PM
  • 6 Replies

Florida Teen Accused of Videotaped Beating of Cheerleader Gets 3 Years Probation

Friday, March 06, 2009

BARTOW, Florida —  One of five teenage suspects in the videotaped beating of a central Florida classmate has been sentenced to three years probation.

Mercades Nichols was sentenced Friday. She pleaded guilty to misdemeanor battery in January.

Nichols also was ordered to do 100 hours of community service, write a letter of apology to the victim and pay restitution.

In exchange for her guilty plea, prosecutors dropped charges of felony kidnapping and witness tampering.

Four other teen girls were also arrested last April in connection with the attack that was recorded on video and broadcast around the world.

Is this appropriate justice?  Why are girls becoming excessively violent?  Do we defer to "girls will be girls" and give them a pass?

Opinions?

by on Mar. 6, 2009 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
JJTaylor
by Member on Mar. 6, 2009 at 3:37 PM

I think it could be if the kids involved have remorse.  However, I do recall when this happened, and recall these kids having little remorse or having any emotion other then "she deserved it"... in this case I think the girls (kids) involved should be given a harsher sentence.  Do I think they need time behind bars?  Maybe not so much, but 100 hours of community service is less then a month; 3 weeks if you are doing it full time; if you are doing it part time, which I would assume she will be doing, it will probably take her 2 or 3 months... sorry... not enough time!  Specially if she gets to choose her community service, if you choose certain things it's too easy to clock "fake" hours... (when I was much younger I had a ticket, had little cash, chose community service, and learned a lot!)

My personally thoughts?  I think this girl along with the rest should have to be on house arrest, the parents have to pay for this, no choice, they don't get a free ride, they are ALL responsible, the girls are stuck in house and cannot go anyplace; if they were lucky got to go to school, no after school activities; I would also have her on house arrest through summer break.  Take away things that are important to them... ban them from computer, cell phone (other then for safety), no contact with the other girls during their punishment time frame.  Then during that time frame I would also force them to do community involvement on visiting young kids in other schools teaching "no bully" rules and helping them understand what can happen if you are a bully.  Make them have to explain what they did at every visit, just like a drunk driver does at school assemblies.  Then make them have a face to face (if the family and injured party accepts) apology, if they don't want face to face (the family) then a written apology is acceptable. 

If we keep giving the same kind of punishments kids think it's a piece of cake and keep doing bad.  This is happening too much and we need to not only educate the kids but these parents... if you do a crime and do something you will do the time and pay the cost!

I have NO empathy for these girls at all!  Bullying is wrong... and there is NO excuse for what they did... NONE!

chocolateroses
by New Member on Mar. 6, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Quoting JJTaylor:

I think it could be if the kids involved have remorse.  However, I do recall when this happened, and recall these kids having little remorse or having any emotion other then "she deserved it"... in this case I think the girls (kids) involved should be given a harsher sentence.  Do I think they need time behind bars?  Maybe not so much, but 100 hours of community service is less then a month; 3 weeks if you are doing it full time; if you are doing it part time, which I would assume she will be doing, it will probably take her 2 or 3 months... sorry... not enough time!  Specially if she gets to choose her community service, if you choose certain things it's too easy to clock "fake" hours... (when I was much younger I had a ticket, had little cash, chose community service, and learned a lot!)

My personally thoughts?  I think this girl along with the rest should have to be on house arrest, the parents have to pay for this, no choice, they don't get a free ride, they are ALL responsible, the girls are stuck in house and cannot go anyplace; if they were lucky got to go to school, no after school activities; I would also have her on house arrest through summer break.  Take away things that are important to them... ban them from computer, cell phone (other then for safety), no contact with the other girls during their punishment time frame.  Then during that time frame I would also force them to do community involvement on visiting young kids in other schools teaching "no bully" rules and helping them understand what can happen if you are a bully.  Make them have to explain what they did at every visit, just like a drunk driver does at school assemblies.  Then make them have a face to face (if the family and injured party accepts) apology, if they don't want face to face (the family) then a written apology is acceptable. 

If we keep giving the same kind of punishments kids think it's a piece of cake and keep doing bad.  This is happening too much and we need to not only educate the kids but these parents... if you do a crime and do something you will do the time and pay the cost!

I have NO empathy for these girls at all!  Bullying is wrong... and there is NO excuse for what they did... NONE!

Excellent points!  I appreciate the view on parent's responsibility.

TysMama6405
by Member on Mar. 6, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Quoting JJTaylor:

I agree! Plus, if the girls had enough forethought to tape it, then afterwards post it on the internet to brag about what they had done, I don't believe for a second that there was any true remorse. More like they were sorry they got caught and expected to pay for their actions. I think they should have gotten the full charges! It hink it is BS that they got off so easy. It is these kinds of girls that make people afraid to go to school! If this were my kid, I would be privately suing the girls responsible so they could pay for counseling for my child! Very disappointing!

tvschiulaz
by Member on Mar. 6, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Seriously?  I think the girls that beat up the teenager should be charged as adult sand do the time for committing the crime!  There is no excuse in my book for beating anyone up, especially in gang format.  The families of the teen girls who beat up the girl should also be charged and held accountable.

If that were my daughter that this happened to I can guarantee you that we would be involved in lawsuit upon lawsuit to get the justice deserved as well as the payment for the medical expenses that I am sure incurred after the beating.  Does anyone know how the girl who got beat up is doing?

admckenzie
by New Member on Mar. 6, 2009 at 6:14 PM

I think this is certainly not justice. There was obvious conspiracy and intent to harm. They wouldn't allow the child to leave which is kidnapping. Even if she isn't the one who did the hitting, she's an accomplice and in the state of FL if you are a party to a felony then you are charged as if you committed the violent crime yourself. I'm guessing her daddy is rich or certainly has influence, maybe even a lawyer himself which  might have given the kids the confidence to be as daring as they were knowing their parents could get them out of it. Sad. They will learn nothing from this except that they can get away with it. Imagine that, the justice system condones bullying. Kids have to learn there are consequences for their actions. She learned no such lesson. If I were the parents of the victim I'd sue in civil court for damages (emotional, pain and suffering and medical at the very least)

KittyD
by on Mar. 6, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Quoting tvschiulaz:

Seriously?  I think the girls that beat up the teenager should be charged as adult sand do the time for committing the crime!  There is no excuse in my book for beating anyone up, especially in gang format.  The families of the teen girls who beat up the girl should also be charged and held accountable.

If that were my daughter that this happened to I can guarantee you that we would be involved in lawsuit upon lawsuit to get the justice deserved as well as the payment for the medical expenses that I am sure incurred after the beating.  Does anyone know how the girl who got beat up is doing?

KittyD ~ Stop by  my page and sign my Guestbook!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured