Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The Shack

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:07 PM
  • 10 Replies

Who's read it? A remarkable book ....Very Inspiring. It's about the blessed trinity and a man who experienced their presence in a weekend. Well in a near death experience.

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilacs45
by New Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 2:41 AM

I could not put it down once I started it.  I have advised soooooooo many more to read it.  However, all I tell them is that they have to read this book!  When asked what it is about I say....I can't tell you....if I say anything about the book you may have an attitude about it before you start!  All who I have ttold to read the book loved it as much as I did.  Even my husband read it in one day and said it really made him think.  I know they say it is a "novel" but, at the end you will maike your own opinion.  I believe it happened. That which was written just couldn't be made up!!  Did you read it yet??  Or have you finished it and just curious about how others felt about it??  Let us know!

morningglory1
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 5:47 AM

I read the book awhile ago, and did not like it. I think it reads as a fairy tale and should have been published as such. And it's not completely true to scripture, either. The book portrays The Trinity as 3 separate people, which would be 3 separate gods.  When I want to learn about God, I read the bible, which I believe to be God's literal word.

wendyb27
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 7:36 AM

I actually read this book last week, and loved it.  I thought it was a great story and have also recommended for others to read it.  I coudn't put it down once I started reading it.  It made me laugh, cry and really think about things.  Great book, IMO :)

jennie0208
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Quoting wendyb27:

I actually read this book last week, and loved it.  I thought it was a great story and have also recommended for others to read it.  I coudn't put it down once I started reading it.  It made me laugh, cry and really think about things.  Great book, IMO :)

Loved it!!!

jennie0208s.gif jen picture by jennie78332

ellyc19111
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 9:43 AM

I don't read books like this. I grew up on the Bible and that's good enough for me.

Tobi75
by New Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 9:57 AM

I read it and loved it.

crazylena
by Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 10:44 AM

I read the book this past summer as a part of a book club I belong to.

Personally there were parts of the book I like a lot.  For example, I do like the way the mercy of God is shown.  Deep down we all need to know this mercy and love.

But here's the problem I have.  Even though it's just fiction I don't like that God is portrayed as a woman.  No where in the bible would you find any kind of description like that.  So the story, even though it gives a great and true description of God's mercy it does not give a true description of God Himself.  He is our Heavenly Father not mother/father.    By not giving a true description I think it took away a chance to really reach those who have been hurt by men in their lives.  There are so many woman who have been wounded by their fathers, husbands, boyfriends and have not really had a chance to even view our Heavenly Father for the Loving God that He is.  Because if the earthly male figures in their life have hurt and wounded them than how can they picture a Heavenly Father?  How can they trust Him if they haven't even had a measure of it here on earth?  But here's the deal.  God is so real.  He is not a ficticous character.  he see's our hurt and our cries.  He longs for a relationship with each one of us.

I never understood that relationship until I asked Jesus into my heart back in 1980.  My life has never been the same since.  I have  a peace in my heart that has only grown stronger over the years and it has come through reading God's Holy word and seeking Him through prayer.  The grace that shown in the book I have experienced in real life.  My prayer is that everyone can see God for who He really is.  He's our Abba Father.

There are other things I don't like too but this was the biggest thing for me.

dr_m
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 11:24 AM

if someone said and i missed it, sorry, .. who is the author ?   i will look for it.. thanks !

cmarielin
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 11:46 AM

I've never heard of it but I see several good reviews here - I'll check it out.  Thanks!

jennmarie77
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Quoting dr_m:

if someone said and i missed it, sorry, .. who is the author ?   i will look for it.. thanks !

Here's a link to it: http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=729230&event=HPF1

We read this book in the Christian Bookworm group last year.  I unfortunately was pretty sick when I started reading it and never did finish it.  I really should pick it up and finish it this time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN