Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

how much money do kids really cost?

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2009 at 3:57 PM
  • 14 Replies

i dont know if its just in my state, but i know someone who just took in 2 foster kids and gets paid $800 each for them. i work at my job and i dont hardly make that much and im having 2 kids too. so why would they pay so much ? Is taking in foster kids suppost to take the place of having a job?  i sure dont spend $800 a month on my kids, what is this money suppost to go to?

by on Mar. 18, 2009 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ginanne
by on Mar. 18, 2009 at 6:37 PM
I personally know families that take in foster children, and they actually consider it a job... just like SAHM's do... anyways, here the amount you get paid usually depends on the child... if the child is extremely disturbed and very badly behaved, then you get more.... if the child is mildly mannered and fairly easy to deal with, then you don't get as much. It kind of gives the foster parents incentive to still take the kids that need the extra care and love.

TickerShack.com Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

mommyheymommy
by on Mar. 18, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Foster parents are volunteers in most states.  The money is for the care of the child only.  I think this needs to change.  The need is far too great, and the quality of lots of foster homes is very poor.  I think actually compensating the foster parents AND paying for the child's needs is something that should happen in the future.  My best friend has adopted multiple times through foster care, and every time the fparents were fabricating medical and emotional needs in order to make more money, because as the PP said, the daily rate is based on the child's needs.

CharmaineL
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2009 at 10:57 PM

I think children can be really expensive, with tuition, clothes, shoes, toys, activities/lessons, camp, nanny/sitters...money is just hemmoraged, jmo.

ellyc19111
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2009 at 1:47 PM

An x-nurse friend of mine took in foster children, adopted 2 of them, had 2 of her own, and still fostered. The money she got for them was used mainly towards food. Naturally she used it to buy groceries for the whole family. I mean, what should she do? Feed her own 4 soup & sandwiches and the foster child gets steak? KWIM?  They also wore hand-me-downs but had special clothes for when they had to see the social worker and those clothes went with them when they left. Her husband didn't have a great job and really didn't have the means to support all those kids royally and basically they fostered for the extra money which everybody benefitted from. I know that seems like cheating, but in return the child was in a loving, clean home. Attended church. Had benefit of an extended family and lots of friends. I guess that counts for something what with all the horror stories that happen nowadays to some foster kids.

dr_m
by on Mar. 19, 2009 at 1:55 PM

so i guess it's more a question of a foster child and the extra money a family gets for taking care of him or her..  it does seem only fair that the money get shared with the whole family, you can't buy love, right ?  i know a lady who took in quite a few, but she needed the money.. but..  i guess it is definitely a job, also..   fortunately, she is a really nice person..

ellyc19111
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Quoting dr_m:

so i guess it's more a question of a foster child and the extra money a family gets for taking care of him or her..  it does seem only fair that the money get shared with the whole family, you can't buy love, right ?  i know a lady who took in quite a few, but she needed the money.. but..  i guess it is definitely a job, also..   fortunately, she is a really nice person..

If you're trying to be snide you're wasting your time.

gilbertgrl627
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Wow. I don't even make half that a month. lol. I've considered doing foster care. Not for the money, but for the kids. I grew up in a very happy home, and I'd love to give that other kids. My DH and I are planning to adopt once we're finished having kids. Maybe in the next 10 years.

cm08
by on Mar. 19, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Interesting table on Foster Care Maintenance Payment 2008

Look at Connecticut and Maryland.  Wow!

moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2009 at 10:33 PM

We have friends who fostered & it was such a draining experience time wise that they had to stop for a bit.  They had to take the foster child to dr's appts, counseling, therapy, to meet with the social worker & the bio parents.  She spent 3 out of 5 days during the week running places with their foster child...and she had 4 children she was trying to homeschool.  PLUS the foster child was required to attend public school while hers were homeschooled year-round.  They appts in the summer cut into her kid's school schedule as did a foster child that didn't want to school during the summer while her kids were. 

My point?  It can be draining on the foster parent depending on the needs of the foster child.

Amy

mudgirl
by Member on Mar. 21, 2009 at 11:52 PM

thanks cmo8 that was really interesting i guess kids cost us alot more time than they do money . i guess thats what the extra cash is for. i just hope that the people getting the money are doing it because they love the children, with that much money at stake it makes it really easy for people to take advantage of the system.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)