Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

how much money do kids really cost?

Posted by   + Show Post

i dont know if its just in my state, but i know someone who just took in 2 foster kids and gets paid $800 each for them. i work at my job and i dont hardly make that much and im having 2 kids too. so why would they pay so much ? Is taking in foster kids suppost to take the place of having a job?  i sure dont spend $800 a month on my kids, what is this money suppost to go to?

by on Mar. 18, 2009 at 3:57 PM
Replies (11-14):
MAMAMISTY33
by New Member on Mar. 24, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Quoting CharmaineL:

I think children can be really expensive, with tuition, clothes, shoes, toys, activities/lessons, camp, nanny/sitters...money is just hemmoraged, jmo.

Does anyone have a teen-age daughter!!  I have 3 kids and my 13 year old's expenses alone compare to a monthly mortgage payment!!  lol

M J

cm08
by on Mar. 24, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Quoting mudgirl:

thanks cmo8 that was really interesting i guess kids cost us alot more time than they do money . i guess thats what the extra cash is for. i just hope that the people getting the money are doing it because they love the children, with that much money at stake it makes it really easy for people to take advantage of the system.

No, thank you mudgirl.  When I was doing the research I didn't think there was that much money involved.  Found it very interesting and yes, I do hope they are doing it for the love aspect of the child and not the money.

chesiretuff
by Member on Mar. 24, 2009 at 9:50 AM
Quoting cm08:

Interesting table on Foster Care Maintenance Payment 2008

Look at Connecticut and Maryland.  Wow!

That's interesting.

Do foster parents have to have one stay-at-home?  For example, both my hubby and I work, could we foster a child?   Hmmm, I guess if the state's paying you to foster that child, they actually want YOU to take care of that child.

I always wish I were the type to foster or adopt.  I have commitment issues.  And we're stopping at just one, but I'm in the process of applying with the Children's Home Society as a volunteer.

mudgirl
by Member on Mar. 25, 2009 at 1:04 AM

you dont have to be a sahm to foster i think that part of the money is to cover child care expenses, i dont know what all the rules are but from what ive seen they sure dont seem as strict as i would think, i guess theres such a huge need that they tend to overlook alot of things, ive thought about fostering but i might have attachment issues too, how can i care for a child as if they were my own just to have to give them back to their abusive or drug addicted parents just because they went to rehab. or have to give the kids back just because the parents got out of jail. or someone that abandons their child and then decides later they made a mistake and wants thir kid back, that would really kill me inside.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN