Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hot Topic (3/19): New Mom Secrets - "Sometimes I Let My Baby Sleep in a Dirty Diaper"

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2009 at 1:08 AM
  • 46 Replies

Poll

Question: Question: Is it okay to let your baby sleep in a soiled diaper at night so you can catch some zzz's?

Options:

Yes, I'm a much better mom when I've had some sleep.

No, especially if the poor little thing is getting a rash.

Once in while if I'm really tired, but not every night.

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 109

View Results

This appeared in the Daily Buzz a while ago.

It's hard being a new mom (or even an experienced mom to a new baby) and sometimes we do things we know we shouldn't, despite what all the experts say. But this is a safe place to share your secrets—we won't tell.

This Week's Secret:

"I don't change my baby's diaper during the night—I'm too tired. In the morning it's always filled with pee or poop, or both. He's getting an awful diaper rash, but I lied to the pediatrician saying I didn't know why his bum was all red. Sometimes if he cries a lot, my boyfriend will change his diaper while I pretend to be asleep." —anonymous

What do you think?

Feel free to join us on these CafeMom Groups:

The CafeMom  Newcomers ClubThe CafeMom Newcomers Club     Current Events & Hot TopicsCurrent Events & Hot Topics  
Advice for MomsAdvice for Moms 
  Kids, Fun & Photos!Kids, Fun & Photos!   The Cafe @ CafeMomThe Cafe @ CafeMom

by on Mar. 19, 2009 at 1:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baly2001
by on Mar. 19, 2009 at 1:15 AM

SO far I have done this once with all 3 of my kids..Only because when I was putting them done they where clean & they did not wake up when they had a dirty diaper. I do feel bad about this. So CM maybe put a other, lol

Proudbirthmom06
by on Mar. 19, 2009 at 1:22 AM

Ok that I can handle but this person says sometimes her boyfriend will change the baby's diaper while she pretends to sleep and she is lying to her baby's doctor. You aren't ignoring your child's cries like she is.

Quoting baly2001:

SO far I have done this once with all 3 of my kids..Only because when I was putting them done they where clean & they did not wake up when they had a dirty diaper. I do feel bad about this. So CM maybe put a other, lol

Amybelle
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2009 at 1:28 AM

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww!! NO!! Never!! how long does it take to change a dirty diper?? 2 mins maybe??? WOW!! Just WOW:( 

Mergath
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2009 at 1:46 AM
Wow, that's horrid. I don't change my nine-month-old's diaper during the night unless she wakes up and wants it changed- she often actually holds it until morning, so it isn't normally an issue for us anyway- but if she were pooing at night, of course I would change it!

Someone doing it once in awhile if they're really exhausted doesn't seem like a huge deal to me, but leaving it every night, until the baby has an "awful diaper rash," is just neglectful. And then lying to the doctor is terrible as well. How is the doctor supposed to treat a baby without having all the facts?

The idea of ignoring your crying baby and his health for five extra minutes of sleep really pisses me off. It's a good thing the poster of that confession is anonymous, or I'd be leaving her a rather stern message.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

hsteele
by on Mar. 19, 2009 at 2:04 AM

I rarely had to change my daughters diaper over night once she started sleeping through the night. She never had diaper rashes by the way. The anonymous poster though sounds like a lazy child though. My daughter never slept in a poopy diaper though. Poop was always changed immediately. We're going cloth with this next one, so diaper changes are probably going to be pretty often.

Quoting Cafe GroupAdmin:

This appeared in the Daily Buzz awhile ago.

It's hard being a new mom (or even an experienced mom to a new baby) and sometimes we do things we know we shouldn't, despite what all the experts say. But this is a safe place to share your secrets—we won't tell.

This Week's Secret:

"I don't change my baby's diaper during the night—I'm too tired. In the morning it's always filled with pee or poop, or both. He's getting an awful diaper rash, but I lied to the pediatrician saying I didn't know why his bum was all red. Sometimes if he cries a lot, my boyfriend will change his diaper while I pretend to be asleep." —anonymous

What do you think?

Heather

Proud Pagan Mama

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin~

SenoraBrown75
by New Member on Mar. 19, 2009 at 4:15 AM

Never...

I don't want to sleep in shit and piss, why would I let my kid?

Peajewel
by Member on Mar. 19, 2009 at 8:45 AM

I agree that I would not want to sleep in my own filth why would I expect my child to?  Even at the risk of waking her, I won't lt her lay around in a dirty diaper.  That is just gross! 

Da1nOnlyDestiny
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2009 at 8:46 AM

people frikkin amaze me

lilmaiyagirl
by on Mar. 19, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Unless they woke up in the middle of the night, I would not change them, But I did change them first thing in the morning.

Click on the pic, make sure you tell them Maiya sent ya!

chesiretuff
by Member on Mar. 19, 2009 at 8:49 AM

No way.  If there was one thing I did right, it was change diapers in a timely manner. 

I was at a CPR class with friend, her daughter had poop in her diaper, it smelled so bad.  But my friend just sat down, and said she didn't want to miss any of the class.  So her little stinky daughter was walking around looking at and smiling at people.  I couldn't believe she would let her daughter go on like that.  She eventually did get up and change the diaper, but not before leaving a lasting impression on me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN