Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hot Topic (3/19): New Mom Secrets - "Sometimes I Let My Baby Sleep in a Dirty Diaper"

Poll

Question: Question: Is it okay to let your baby sleep in a soiled diaper at night so you can catch some zzz's?

Options:

Yes, I'm a much better mom when I've had some sleep.

No, especially if the poor little thing is getting a rash.

Once in while if I'm really tired, but not every night.

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 109

View Results

This appeared in the Daily Buzz a while ago.

It's hard being a new mom (or even an experienced mom to a new baby) and sometimes we do things we know we shouldn't, despite what all the experts say. But this is a safe place to share your secrets—we won't tell.

This Week's Secret:

"I don't change my baby's diaper during the night—I'm too tired. In the morning it's always filled with pee or poop, or both. He's getting an awful diaper rash, but I lied to the pediatrician saying I didn't know why his bum was all red. Sometimes if he cries a lot, my boyfriend will change his diaper while I pretend to be asleep." —anonymous

What do you think?

Feel free to join us on these CafeMom Groups:

The CafeMom  Newcomers ClubThe CafeMom Newcomers Club     Current Events & Hot TopicsCurrent Events & Hot Topics  
Advice for MomsAdvice for Moms 
  Kids, Fun & Photos!Kids, Fun & Photos!   The Cafe @ CafeMomThe Cafe @ CafeMom

by on Mar. 19, 2009 at 1:08 AM
Replies (41-46):
army_wife2000
by Member on Mar. 23, 2009 at 9:32 AM

I just re-read this post and I am sickened by this attitude....especially when she says that she lied to her pediatrician about the diaper rash.....This is  disgusting!!!!! 

Crazy 1

.Tiggeroo87.
by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Okay, eww. First of all, I've only done this once...ONCE. After the first time, waking up to a screaming baby, with poop in his pamper, I was knowledgeable enough to know to change him before bed, or a nap!!! Now that he's over 1, normally, the routine is to change him before he goes to bed, that way, if his pamper is already pissy, I don't wake up to a soaking baby every damn morning!!! Yuck. Before, I used to change him 3 times a day, because that's how routine I know him as. But now, he's sick, so he hasn't been eating solids for a few days, so no poop, but definitely lots of pee. Of course, we're going to his pediatrician tomorrow to get that looked at but usually when he's not sick, he has 1-2 bm a day, and usually needs to have his pissy pampers changed 2-3 times.

ellyc19111
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Quoting luckcharm:

Does this mean she put her kid to bed with a dirty diaper?  cause that's just wrong and kinda strange to me.

But,  if she means she doesn't change her in the middle of the night,  then I'm thinking what is the big deal?  I didn't change mine everynight in the middle of the night either.  No problems from that.  I changed them if they woke up and had a poopy diaper or really wet one.  But,  if they were sleeping so was I so I didn't check them to see if they needed a diaper change.

But,  I have serious concerns if you are lieing to your dr about why your baby has that kind of a diaper rash,  if its that bad then obviously you need to get off your lazy butt and change your baby.  Your tired? o well to bad!  welcome to motherhood!

It seems to me having a cranky baby from diaper rash is much worse than getting up in the night and changing them!  

If the baby wasn't crying then why did her boyfriend get up to change it? She's a lazy slob. I hope he rolled her over and fucked her til dawn came up. I'm sure she wouldn't be too lazy for that.

crazyblonde123
by on Mar. 24, 2009 at 10:59 AM

I've done it a couple of times but only b/c he was dry when he went to sleep, but most of the time he won't  sleep all night if he is wet or dirty so therefore I don't get any sleep. Most of the time he waits until morning to do everything so now I only have to worry about feeding him.

Quoting Mergath:

Wow, that's horrid. I don't change my nine-month-old's diaper during the night unless she wakes up and wants it changed- she often actually holds it until morning, so it isn't normally an issue for us anyway- but if she were pooing at night, of course I would change it!

Someone doing it once in awhile if they're really exhausted doesn't seem like a huge deal to me, but leaving it every night, until the baby has an "awful diaper rash," is just neglectful. And then lying to the doctor is terrible as well. How is the doctor supposed to treat a baby without having all the facts?

The idea of ignoring your crying baby and his health for five extra minutes of sleep really pisses me off. It's a good thing the poster of that confession is anonymous, or I'd be leaving her a rather stern message.

starandseen
by Member on Mar. 24, 2009 at 6:54 PM
If the diaper is filled with pee, then I won't change it until morning. If it's filled with poop, I definitely change his diaper. I don't want my baby to get a rash. It's hard to drag myself to change his diaper, but I do it because I don't want my baby to get a rash, especially when I know he just pooped.
.Tiggeroo87.
by on Mar. 24, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Oh noes, Internet vendetta. What are you going to do? e-slap her?

Quoting Mergath:

It's a good thing the poster of that confession is anonymous, or I'd be leaving her a rather stern message.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured