Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Involuntary Servitude Being Reinstated in Violation of 13th Amendment and YOU won't have the right to protest.

Posted by   + Show Post
Mar. 19, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Involuntary Servitude Being Reinstated in Violation of 13th Amendment

Comments (2)
The House passed a bill yesterday which includes disturbing language indicating young people will be forced to undertake mandatory national service programs as fears about President Barack Obama’s promised “civilian national security force” intensify. The Generations Invigorating Volunteerism and Education Act, known as the GIVE Act, was passed yesterday by a 321-105 margin and now goes to the Senate. Under section 6104 of the bill, entitled “Duties,” in subsection B6, the legislation states that a commission will be set up to investigate, “Whether a workable, fair, and...
by on Mar. 19, 2009 at 10:10 PM
Replies (131-136):
army_wife2000
by Member on Mar. 23, 2009 at 8:55 AM

I am currently trying to view this bill on "Open Congress" bill HR 1388 to view the exact wording but am having trouble.  Can you show another link, I got this one from this forum.  I am not going to sit by and just read and complain,  I want to read this and contact my congressman.  Thanks.

Da1nOnlyDestiny
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2009 at 8:59 AM

March 23, 2009, 1:15 a.m.

"

Lewis Wants Tax Relief for Volunteers

As the U.S. House of Representatives engaged in a bi-partisan effort to launch a new era of American service and volunteerism, Rep. John Lewis (D-GA) spoke in support of the Generations Invigorating Volunteerism and Education (GIVE) Act, H.R. 1388, and introduced an additional measure to gain tax relief for volunteers. 

The GIVE Act will more than triple the number of volunteers, from the current 75,000 to 250,000, and increase the education reward they receive to $5,350 for next year, the same as the maximum Pell Grant scholarship award, he said. The education award will also be linked to match future boosts in the Pell Grant scholarship in order to keep up with rising college costs.

The legislation will also provide new incentives for middle and high school students to volunteer in their communities and create a Summer of Service program to engage students in service, which allows them to earn a $500 education award to be used for college costs.

"In this time of economic turmoil," said Lewis, "volunteerism and community service will be a powerful support to neighbors, families and friends who are struggling.  The government must do what it can, but we cannot do it all.  We need to encourage people to reach out to each other, to help each other as our economy recovers, not weaken their efforts by taxing humanitarian service."

Volunteers are often students who are frequently given an annual stipend as a way to help them meet their basic needs for food, clothing, transportation, and other expenses while they serve.  These stipends are small, about $3000-$4000 per year, he said. Passage of the GIVE Act would increase the stipend to $5350 per year.  However, unlike over government grants to students, such as Pell or G.I. Grant awards, this stipend is subject to taxes, lessening the value of this financial support for students already living on a subsistence income."

http://www.reddingnewsreview.com/newspages/2009newspages/congressional_briefs_09_09100048.htm               

SunandMoonMom
by Member on Mar. 23, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Da1nOnlyDestiny

I apologize for misunderstanding your question.  Eilish has pointed out the sections of the bill that use the term "mandatory", and I figured you'd read the previous posts.  I'm sad that you felt the need to resort to calling me a smart ass...I didn't intend to make you angry, but will no longer respond to your posts if you are not able to be respectful.

Quoting Da1nOnlyDestiny:

no smart ass you wasnt the one who said it and I didnt say you quoted anything either.I asked you to quote in there bill WHERE it does infact say mandatory  get off your high horse:

Eilish

by on Mar. 20, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Quoting Junebug926:

I'm jumping in late here and super quick so if this has been said, sorry.

It was my understanding that this program isn't going to be mandatory but if you volunteer for it, the service is mandatory. ???

Read the bill and you will see the language is BLATANTLY obvious. The word mandatory is used throughout, and the house amended it to add that we will not be allowed to protest this if it becomes law.

Quoting SunandMoonMom:

You mean "blatantly?"  That was my own word use, not a quote.  To me, the principle of the bill (the core of it's goal) is blatant to me if you understand the violation to the thirteenth ammendment.

Enjoy the glass of wine!

Quoting Da1nOnlyDestiny:

ok i think i am the one who needs that glass of wine, can you please quote and link the page where it says in the bill BLANTLY as Elish has said that these services are mandatory. Cause when I sat down with my husband we did not see any wording that could be portrayed as mandatory.

Quoting SunandMoonMom:

First, a note for Eilish...Have a glass of wine or a beer, and take some deep breaths, hon.  I know how you feel!banging head into wall

Voluntary community service is outstanding, and a wonderful chance for anyone to grow as a human being.  In high school, any volunteer work we did was considered part of our cirriculum, and we were given credit.  VOLUNTARY or MANDATORY while in school is at STATE OR LOCAL level and is PART OF THE CIRRICULUM.  Parents and students have a CHOICE as to where they attend school (schools with or without mandatory or voluntary programs).

The OP and others who oppose this bill are not opposing community service; we are opposing the BLATANT VIOLATION of the CONSTITUTION.  The federal government has NO LEGAL RIGHT to DEMAND OR IMPOSE MANDATORY SERVICE OF ANY KIND!

Also, you go to work not because it is mandatory, but so you will receive a pay check.  You could choose unemployment or welfare, but if you are able to work, the fact that you do shows the strength of your character and that you realize you are contributing to society to the best of your ability.  You are taking personal responsibility to care for yourself and your family.

Please keep in mind, the PREMISE of this bill could EASILY be used BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT to promote a type of MANDATORY SERVICE OR ACTION you do NOT support.  However, if this bill sets the PRECEDENT...OTHER BILLS YOU MAY NOT AGREE WITH CAN AND WILL PASS MUCH MORE EASILY.  This is your chance to put a cork in it (the bill, I mean). ;-)

Eilish
by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Quoting army_wife2000:

I am currently trying to view this bill on "Open Congress" bill HR 1388 to view the exact wording but am having trouble.  Can you show another link, I got this one from this forum.  I am not going to sit by and just read and complain,  I want to read this and contact my congressman.  Thanks.

Try:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-1388

Or

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:h1388:

momoftwins240
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Quoting mamaoftwins9197:

Where I live, kids are already required to do a certain number of "voluntary" community service hours in order to graduate from high school.  That has been going on since WAY before Obama became president...since about 1996 or 1997...I know they started it soon after I graduated in 1995.  This doesn't sound much different than that.

It's the same where we live and has been since the early 90's.  I don't think it is any different either.

Mama with the mostest!

kissing

goldd_e_loxx
by Member on Mar. 25, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Quoting mamaoftwins9197:

Because of the Patriot Act, profiling is already allowed to be used and it happens to hundreds of Middle Easterns every single day...how is this any different?

Quoting army_wife2000:

In Missouri, evidently a domestic terrorism bill was also passed and profiling will be allowed to be used.  I don't have exact wording on this but I'm told that if you get stopped by a police officer, he is to take into consideration any NRA or other paraphanalia on your vehicle that may be anti-Obama.  I just think all  of this is scary and I want his 4 years to go quickly! 

This is VERY different because it relates to a person's political affiliations.  It basically doesn't allow for anyone who is not on the Obama bandwagon to openly express their opposition.  Since when is it a crime to have a bumper sticker on your car? Or to NOT support the current president, for that matter?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN