Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Oops: Colbert wins NASA space station name contest

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 8:57 PM
  • 6 Replies

Mar 23rd, 2009 | WASHINGTON -- NASA's online contest to name a new room at the international space station went awry. Comedian Stephen Colbert won.

The name "Colbert" beat out NASA's four suggested options in the space agency's effort to have the public help name the addition. The new room will be launched later this year.

NASA's mistake was allowing write-ins. Colbert urged viewers of his Comedy Central show, "The Colbert Report" to write in his name. And they complied, with 230,539 votes. That clobbered Serenity, one of the NASA choices, by more than 40,000 votes. Nearly 1.2 million votes were cast by the time the contest ended Friday.

NASA reserves the right to choose an appropriate name. Agency spokesman John Yembrick said NASA will decide in April, but will give top vote-getters "the most consideration."

Feel free to join us on these CafeMom Groups:

The CafeMom  Newcomers ClubThe CafeMom Newcomers Club     Current Events & Hot TopicsCurrent Events & Hot Topics  
Advice for MomsAdvice for Moms 
  Kids, Fun & Photos!Kids, Fun & Photos!   The Cafe @ CafeMomThe Cafe @ CafeMom

by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
camdensmom06
by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 8:59 PM

rolling on floor  That's awesome.

hsteele
by on Mar. 24, 2009 at 5:04 AM

First off, I love Stephen Colbert. lol My husband and I have been watching this and pretty much knew when he first discussed it on his show what was gonna happen. We also knew that NASA wouldn't pick the name. I don't think they expected Stephen Colbert to take an interest. If they had and knew what his ratings were, they more than likely would not have allowed write ins.

Heather

Proud Pagan Mama

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin~

Junebug926
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2009 at 8:03 AM

I LOVE IT!!! :)

Da1nOnlyDestiny
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2009 at 8:46 AM

laughing

chesiretuff
by Member on Mar. 24, 2009 at 9:16 AM

That's funny.

BabyGracesMommy
by Member on Mar. 24, 2009 at 11:39 PM

When I read this to my hubby he said, "Wouldn't that be funny if they changed the name of the show to the Colbert Space Station Report and had him do the show pretending he was floating around in space?" Lol, I thought that was really funny, and a good idea too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN