Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Israeli T-shirts raise ire

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2009 at 10:22 AM
  • 14 Replies

Israeli T-shirts raise ire

Some soldiers to be disciplined

JERUSALEM — Israel’s military condemned soldiers for wearing T-shirts of a pregnant woman in a rifle’s cross-hairs with the slogan "1 Shot 2 Kills,” and another of a gun-toting child with the words, "The smaller they are, the harder it is.”

The T-shirts were worn by some Israeli Defense Force soldiers to mark the end of basic training and other military courses, the newspaper Haaretz said.

The appearance of the T-shirts followed allegations of misconduct by Israeli troops during the three-week Gaza war. Palestinian officials say about 1,400 Palestinians were killed, most of them civilians. Thirteen Israelis died, three of them civilians.

The army said it would not tolerate the T-shirts and would take disciplinary action against the soldiers involved, but it was not clear how many wore the shirts.

The shirts were not manufactured or sanctioned by the military. Their existence was first reported Friday by Haaretz and later on broadcasts by Israeli radio and television.

Few in the Palestinian territories appeared to be aware of the T-shirts. In Gaza, Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhoum said it "reflects the brutal mentality among the Zionist soldiers and the Zionist society.”

Feel free to join us on these CafeMom Groups:

The CafeMom  Newcomers ClubThe CafeMom Newcomers Club     Current Events & Hot TopicsCurrent Events & Hot Topics  
Advice for MomsAdvice for Moms 
  Kids, Fun & Photos!Kids, Fun & Photos!   The Cafe @ CafeMomThe Cafe @ CafeMom

by on Mar. 24, 2009 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dr_m
by on Mar. 24, 2009 at 10:49 AM

omg !   hard to believe this..  yick....

forsythia_18
by on Mar. 24, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Way to keep the violence cycle going....I'm pretty sure Judaism doesn't encourage this behavior at all.

sweetie00
by on Mar. 24, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Way to stoke the fire.....Idiots! angry

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Mar. 24, 2009 at 1:14 PM

I've heard the guys on base say some pretty sick things but at least they don't have t-shirts...

Wife of a Marine - Mommy to a Little Prince

& Expecting a Princess in May!                

forsythia_18
by on Mar. 24, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Quoting Double.L:

Considering my husband has seen numerous children try to reach out for food/toys etc and try to grab a solider/blow themselves up I'd say the soldiers wearing them may see these t-shirts in a more humorous light...

BUT that does NOT make it acceptable... Even if it's just a few American soldiers civilians will form this idea in their head that our soldiers are becoming cold and heartless, when that is far from the truth...

Well, the article said they were worn by Isreali soldiers, not American.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Mar. 24, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Quoting Double.L:

Considering my husband has seen numerous children try to reach out for food/toys etc and try to grab a solider/blow themselves up I'd say the soldiers wearing them may see these t-shirts in a more humorous light...

BUT that does NOT make it acceptable... Even if it's just a few American soldiers civilians will form this idea in their head that our soldiers are becoming cold and heartless, when that is far from the truth...

It was the Israeli soldiers wearing the shirts not the American soldiers...   The American soldiers had nothing to do with it....   :)

Double.L
by on Mar. 24, 2009 at 1:28 PM

HA...I just re read it, I don't know why I was thinking American....I was thinking American soldiers IN Israel for some reason.....lol

Any way my first point could 'possibly' still be valid.....lol

Quoting forsythia_18:

Quoting Double.L:

He's my star....and I'm his sky....

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Mar. 24, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Quoting Double.L:

HA...I just re read it, I don't know why I was thinking Amercian....I was thinking American soldiers IN israel for some reason.....lol

Any way my first point could 'possibly' still be valid.....lol

Quoting forsythia_18:

Quoting Double.L:

Oops...  sorry I corrected you after someone else already did...   :)

As for your first point... I agree.  My hubby says the kids run after the humvees asking for chocolate but you are told not to stop b/c you don't know which kids are really wanting candy and which ones have bombs under their clothes...

Biancas_mommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Yeah it's really sad...but when a prego women looking like that blow YOU up...you then start to agree with the t-shirt...we live in a messed up a world...they now make a t-shirt mocking how bad it really is.  wow.  DH is a heavy metal fan and has a shirt that has Charles Manson on it and says Cincinnati hardcore (Manson grew up in nasty nati)

forsythia_18
by on Mar. 24, 2009 at 1:41 PM

I just don't understand why this shirt would be manufactured to support a HOLY war.  They are fighting over HOLY land.  The war has been going on for so long, I think both sides are losing sight of their RELIGIONS which is critical in a HOLY war.  (sigh)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured