Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

This just irks me......

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2009 at 8:51 AM
  • 19 Replies

So every morning and every evening I watch the news. Sometimes I watch WPIX news or ABC news. Every now and then I'll tune into CNN. Sometimes I read the paper, whether it be the NY Times, the Daily News, or The Post. All we ever hear these days is about the economy, the job market, unemployment rates, and all the horrible things attributed to either the president, the governor, the senators, the legistlature or some other person in politics. The economy, both national and global are completely down the tubes. I get that. I don't understand why people just can't understand. It is not Obama's fault that the global economy is bad. It is not (in NY's case) Governor Patterson's fault that the state budget is in shambles. So in NY's case, Governor Patterson asks state workers to please take a pay cut. Union offcials are up in arms saying "NO NO NO. Our workers won't take a pay cut." Meanwhile the alternative is if the workers don't take the pay cut, 8,900 people will be out of work come August. The union's response to this is that "The Governor won't save as much money for the state as he thinks by forcing pay cuts or laying off employees." Ummm.... Let's see.... Lemme do the math here. Now if all the employees take even a pay cut of $1,000 per year and there are about 1.5 million state workers then that is

1,500,000 x $1,000 = $1,500,000,000. I think 1.5 billion is a big savings, don't you?

Now if he lays off 8,900 state workers who go home with about $25,000 per year starting (he'd be laying off the newbies not people who have been employed more than two years) that is still 8,900 x $25,000 = $222,500,000. That is a bare minimum. Which granted, by laying off those 8,900 employees he's only saving less than a quarter of what he'd save if EVERYONE took a paycut, but still, that $222,500,000 he can put elsewhere or put towards the stupid fare hikes the MTA wants to put in place. Sighs. If everyone would do their part to help rather than bitch and moan maybe this world wouldn't be as fucked up as it is.

by on Mar. 25, 2009 at 8:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Katie911
by on Mar. 25, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Obama was protrayed as a miracle worker.  He was suppose to be elected, take off and fix it all.  And he didn't.  So they say he is horrible.

I am not an Obama fan.  Since he was elected he has cut my sons disability, and he is working to lift restrictions on abortion.  He also cleared the way for stem cell research.  I am waiting to see him do what he promised during his campiegn.

shervert1
by Member on Mar. 25, 2009 at 9:03 AM

in my opinion,asking anyone to take a pay-cut in these tough economic times is insane whether or not it will make things better for the longrun. Why should we the people have to fix something the government messed up in the first place?

chesiretuff
by Member on Mar. 25, 2009 at 9:08 AM
Quoting Katie911:

Obama was protrayed as a miracle worker.  He was suppose to be elected, take off and fix it all.  And he didn't.  So they say he is horrible.

I am not an Obama fan.  Since he was elected he has cut my sons disability, and he is working to lift restrictions on abortion.  He also cleared the way for stem cell research.  I am waiting to see him do what he promised during his campiegn.

When did he cut disability?

acrogodess
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2009 at 9:09 AM

Quoting shervert1:

in my opinion,asking anyone to take a pay-cut in these tough economic times is insane whether or not it will make things better for the longrun. Why should we the people have to fix something the government messed up in the first place?

So fine. Since no one wants to help rather than everyone take a pay cut, 8,900 people will be out of work altogether. Not to mention all the schools and police departments and fire departments and state run hospitals who have to take budget cuts since no one wants to do their part to make sure this doesn't happen.   eye rollingNow when things are worse 5 years from now, everyone will still be griping.

jalex
by on Mar. 25, 2009 at 9:14 AM

I think that he has done a great job so far.  Ridiculous to judge him just yet....

Katie911
by on Mar. 25, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Quoting chesiretuff:

Quoting Katie911:

Hell if I know.  All I know is that my son's medicaid(from an SED waiver) no longer pays for his expensive meds.  And my stepson can no longer get the services he needs because he does not qualify for the SED waiver and our insurance does not pay for it.

acrogodess
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2009 at 9:26 AM

Quoting Katie911:

Quoting chesiretuff:

Quoting Katie911:

Hell if I know.  All I know is that my son's medicaid(from an SED waiver) no longer pays for his expensive meds.  And my stepson can no longer get the services he needs because he does not qualify for the SED waiver and our insurance does not pay for it.

Actually, your son's disability and their medical assistance for their meds was cut on the state level. So you need to talk to your governor, state senators and so on to see about fixing things.

Da1nOnlyDestiny
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Good I am glad someone else said it cause I was scratching my head like "really when the hell did this happen?"

Quoting acrogodess:

Quoting Katie911:

Quoting chesiretuff:

Quoting Katie911:

Actually, your son's disability and their medical assistance for their meds was cut on the state level. So you need to talk to your governor, state senators and so on to see about fixing things.

PestPatti
by on Mar. 25, 2009 at 9:34 AM

As for someone who lives in the state of NY, first I think Governor Patterson is an idiot.  

People who work for the state, are afforded more than those who work in the state.  I am not usually for layoffs or paycuts, but some of those state workers are sucking up the states dime.   

Either solution sucks, but I would think giving a little back wouldnt kill them.

Jax_mommy
by Member on Mar. 25, 2009 at 9:35 AM

If my job was to ask if I would take a thousand dollar pay cut, so others wouldn't be laid off, I would do it without a thought.

That's just me though.  I believe in helping my fellow "man".  My husband would do it too... He is an assistant plant supervisor at a distribution company, and he has taken steps to help his employees.  (IE cutting all around hours to keep his employees on the job.) 

It's about relearning empathy ladies... Ya know empathy "how would I feel if I were laid off, how would MY life change???"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)